LegacyGT.com

Anyone get the Sirius tuner?

Bdubs

Well it would almost make sense... but the question is did Ford make the radio so the text scrolls? That is the one thing that gets me about the Subaru unit. They can make a box that can receive a freaking signal from outer space but they cant make the text scroll?????!!!!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I have one of those Clarion units from my old car and the cable looks totally different. It's way cheaper to go with an aftermarket tuner, but I liked the integration with the factory stereo because it looks clean and does not beg to be stolen.

• 3 weeks later...
Having read multiple threads on this forum on Sirius, I don't think doing a conversion would be very cheap to do on an '05. You would have to get a '07 up radio, and then you would have to run an antenna wire after you spend the $400 on the Subaru tuner. If you're interested, I was originally running a Stiletto in my car until the tuner came out ( I have an '07) and I am selling the car docking kit and the ProClip to mount it. Here's the link to that....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78287

Mark

I agree on the cost but if you want OEM fit and fitment this is the route to go.

I bought my 07 spec B radio with subie bucks. Plug and Play even with the sub under the seat.

Now I am getting ready to buy the sirrius tuner with subie bucks. I use a subaru credit card for work so it can add up pretty fast getting the bucks.

Just need to figure out the antenna. Maybe an aftermarket antenna wire will work.

That's sweet that everything else is working.

I've never dealt with him, but there is was a guy on here, I think his username is Opie, and he seemed to know or know how to find every part number. He might be able to help you.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
I do know that the '07 GT and the '08 GT radios have the same part number (verified thru dealer), so if someone can tell you if the Spec B radio is the same part number as the GT radio, you should be good to go. Hope that helps.
I have a spec b... are they the same, and will the sirius kit just plug and play right into a 2007 spec b head unit just like the reg legacy gt's?

Mark

I agree on the cost but if you want OEM fit and fitment this is the route to go.

I bought my 07 spec B radio with subie bucks. Plug and Play even with the sub under the seat.

Now I am getting ready to buy the sirrius tuner with subie bucks. I use a subaru credit card for work so it can add up pretty fast getting the bucks.

Just need to figure out the antenna. Maybe an aftermarket antenna wire will work.

UPDATE:

Went to radio shack to see if they had any Antennas and I found that they have a new Sirius antenna that magnet mounts on the outside of the car. Took it home and it plugged right into the Subaru Sirius Tuner.

Ran the wire from the middle front of the windshield, around toward the passenger side in the window rubber using the handel end of a teaspoon and a dental pick. Went down by where the hood, door and fender meet and into the door area following the wires from the door into the car. Went behind the glove box area (remove as if putting in cabin filter) and then behind the radio. The radio shack antenna plugged right in.

The subarus use a PINK FAKRA plastic connector which surrounds an SMB. This radio shack antenna will fit inside the pink FAKRA housing and right into the SMB on the subaru sirius tuner without any modifications.

Use this Radio Shack Antenna if you do not have the pink FAKRA cable from the map lights down to the radio area because your car is pre 2007.

Worked Perfect. :spin:

2005 outback with factory underseat sub

LOTS OF SUBIE BUCKS!!! KING OF PARTS TOOK THEM AND HAD THE BEST PRICES

2007 spec B radio (bolt in hook up) # 86201AG67A

2007 sirius tuner (bolt in hook up) # H621SXA100

Radio Shack Sirius Antenna (hooks right up) Radio Shack 1200156 Accurian 12-156 (Because this antenna is outside the car reception is perfect)

ENJOY:spin:

that answers my question that this works with the 07 spec b radio :) thanks.

And if you have an 07 Spec B you will have the antenna connection wire already in your car. It runs from the map light area down to the radio and has PINK ends

And if you have an 07 Spec B you will have the antenna connection wire already in your car. It runs from the map light area down to the radio and has PINK ends
awesome... i'm pretty sure i'm going to be running my v1 along headliner, possibly my viper alarm module too.

• 1 month later...

Other than no competition, is there any reason why this thing is $350? Other than the no text scrolling, is it a lot more powerful and better than Sirius radio that sell for $80?

I have a 2008 Outback LL Bean with Nav. I think it is pre-wired for satellite.

So, If I decided to pay this highway robbery price of $350, all I gotta do it pull off the bezels around my radio, loosen a few screws and plug and play - I don't have to fish antenna wires or attach antennas to the outside - is that correct?

There are no cheaper aftermarket ones that work?

If I do this Subaru Sirius one, does the satellite info appear on my Nav or my indash radio or what?

I just did a FatWallet deal for a Sirius Stratus 4 with a car kit for a penny shipped plus it comes with a $30 gift card I can use for the activation and first month's subscription - but I confess I have no idea whether this will work or how it might work. I would prefer one that uses stuff that is already mounted in the dash.

I believe that the '08 Outback should have the same prewiring for the antenna. That being said, there are many aftermarket solutions for installing a Sirius tuner that are cheaper. I chose to go with the Subaru unit for 3 reasons:

1). People kept knocking my Stiletto car kit off of my dash

2). Spotty signal. Sometimes the radio didn't get the best (actually sometimes it was really bad) sound quality from the car unit.

3). Lack of space / Visibility. There aren't many good places to install the unit that keeps it out of view. People are crazy anymore stealing everything that isn't bolted down and keeping the interior looking stock was more of a security preference for me. Some people have them mounted in the cubby, but since you have the nav, I'm guessing you don't have that option.

You're right, there is absolutely no reason for the unit to cost $350. But is it better to spend the extra $250 for the peace of mind to not have your window smashed and your unit stolen? To me it was.

The install is a breeze. You're interior looks the same, I don't know if it's any different pulling the automatic transmission shifter cover off, but I can't imagine it is. There are many pages on here you can find showing pictures to do this.

Yes. All the prewiring is is a cable with two female ends that the antenna and an extension (which are provided) plug into. The Subaru instructions show you putting it in the corner, but I put mine next to the rearview mirror. Honestly, I was skeptical about the placement on the inside of the windshield, but I can't complain. I've had no issues with the placement there, except when going under some trees when it is raining, but I also had that problem on my old car with the antenna mounted outside on the roof, so I don't think it is a location problem. The supplied antenna only has a 3' long cable, so mounting it anywhere but on the windshield is impossible.

If you look at post #58 on this thread, Greg said that an antenna from Radioshack that he bought fit perfectly. But he also upgraded to an '07 stereo in an '05 and was going to have to run lines anyway.

If you have an EZ Pass, I recommend getting the velcro pieces that they use to hold that to your windshield. I've tried other types of tapes to hold things to the windshield before and those velcro strips they use have never came off due to heat in the summer. Just contact the transportation department and they will mail you extra strips.

Based on past experience, I would recommend contacting the King of Parts to see how much he is selling it for.

Subaru is really behind the times electronically - very strange for an Asia company. I have been looking into ways to add bluetooth (without a dongle/transmitter), but no joy.

You would think Subaru could think of a way to have an external antenna or to add one - like mounting the third brake light externally with an option to add an satellite antenna or something like that.

I don't have satellite in my BMW but it comes with the shark fin already in place and is pre-wired also for an external antenna. Not that BMW makes it any easier to use after market stuff. But I don't want satellite radio anyway - I am trying ot put it in the Outback for my wife.

I have noticed no difference between mounting the antenna on the inside of the windshield versus mounting it on the roof. I don't know if anyone else has had issues. It's really not that bad by the rearview mirror. You could check for people with the factory XM unit. Personally, I think the shark fin look is ugly.

There are many ways to add in bluetooth, nav, and satellite into everything but it is not cheap.

And mounting a 3rd brake light? If you have a factory spoiler, there are 4 brake lights!

Like mark has said tambourineman it should be a piece of cake install for you.

There should be a wire with a pink fakra connector on it behind the map light that runs down to behind the radio.

It seems that subaru's that have a radio that is XM /sirius ready have this wire preinstalled from the factory.

When you get the kit all you have to do is pull the radio, bolt the sirrius or xm receiver on the back and plug in the pink antenna wire.

Then go up top and remove the map light covefr and find the other end of the antenna wire. Plug in the antenna wire again to the pink fakra connector on the antenna and stick it to the windshield.

When I was doing mine I was going to stick the antenna to the window behind the rear view mirror so it was mostly out of site.

You probably read my post #58 though and since my 2005 was not satellite ready it didnt have the preinstalled antenna wire, so I bought a magnetic radio shack one that worked perfect.

good luck with the install

• 6 months later...

spect2k, post 68 is how yours would work. You still have to use the windshield antenna. However, the factory has already run the majority of the cable for you, so you don't run the cable all the way from the tuner to the windsheild.

Oh, and on my 08 spec b, I had them install the antenna behind the rearview mirror and it works fine even though the black stuff with the holes is there. The installation manual says that they should put it on the upper passenger side glass and it is really ugly and distracting there - I had to argue with the subaru dealership to get them to move it, but they did and it works fine.

I have my antenna behind the rear view as well. You don't notice it as much as in the corner, and it can't be seen easily from outside the car. I don't remember if I used the supplied double sided tape though. I think I used some extra velcro type pieces left over from my EZ Pass. That stuff never falls off when the interior gets hot.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if '06 2.5i Ltd would have the antenna pre-wiring ? I am

planning to install my Sirius Stratus 4 unit, as soon as I get done installing

an aux-in port; this, of course, means that I can put the aux-in jack

wherever makes sense for the tuner placement. Ideas ? Cubby, or

somewhere in the center console ?

Doubt it. The '07+ have a satellite option on the stereo source selection where as the '06 and lower don't. A lot of people use the cubby hole; it's out of the way and the door can be closed for security. Where are you planning on installing the antenna? I placed the GPS antenna in the 3rd brake light area and it seems to work pretty well.

Doubt it. The '07+ have a satellite option on the stereo source selection where as the '06 and lower don't. A lot of people use the cubby hole; it's out of the way and the door can be closed for security. Where are you planning on installing the antenna? I placed the GPS antenna in the 3rd brake light area and it seems to work pretty well.

I'm open to suggestion on where to put the antenna - please. But

I honestly can't see a reason to bother running a wire all the way back

to the rear (brake light) area; seems a lot of people put it behind the

rear-view mirror, which seems out of the way enough to me. I suppose

going to the rear is not that hard though, if you can figure out how to

peel back the head-liner enough.

Archived