LegacyGT.com

Anyone get the Sirius tuner?

Bdubs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm picking up the Sirius Tuner today. My antenna went out on my Stiletto docking kit setup, so I was going to need that anyway and plus the docking just plain sucks. The y cable that connects the RCA inputs to my CleanSweep always comes loose and the sound cuts out from the the speakers or causes random volume changes. I believe it also shorts out my AM radio reception. Plus not having that docking kit showing is a plus for not having anything visible for thieves.

Yeah, that Clarion unit won't work. I actually had that in my old car, and I thought the same thing about the plugs being the same, but some pins are different.

IF pin layout is all it is that is easy to change. one could easily repin the cable or splice it into the correct layout. or even crack the unit open and change it that way.

The new Subaru Sirius tuner does work with an '07 head unit. Installed mine yesterday and the weather channel 184 came right on and the screen displayed the channel info. Just need to activate the radio and I am set! One of the easiest installs of anything I've ever done. It takes like 10 minutes to do, I highly recommend doing it yourself and saving $100.

The part number on the instruction manual is H621SXA100 (UF-909U-02), Sirius Satellite Radio Kit for the Tribeca and Legacy. I paid like $385 for it from my local dealer. http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/ (search through the categories for "Sound System") has it for $350, but since I wasn't sure if it would work I figured it was just easier to go through the local guy incase I had to return it.

Please note that the picture there is not the same as the actual unit, but it is made by Clarion.

To answer the second question, as far as I can tell the text does not scroll. It also always displays that it is on satellite and what preset # it is and then either text for station name, song title, or artist.

This thing is seriously easy to install (no pun intended). Here's a quick walk through, Check out LGT Dave's post here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72363&highlight=sirius+tuner for a link to the instructions..... But I posted this quick walkthru to hopefully answer any questions that may have come up. Install should take like 10-15 minutes tops.

1) Disconnect the (-) battery using a 10mm wrench.

2) Pop off the center console light cover with hand. Remove the two screws that hold the lights in and slide assembly down.

3) Pull down gently on the roof liner. It may make a noise but thats ok. Fish the pink antenna connector thru and connect to the pink connector in the driver's side headliner.

4) Mount antenna to windshield either in the corner or by the rearview mirror. (I went rearview)

5) Push headliner back into place and reinstall the lights and the two screws and the cover.

6) Pull out the shifter cover. Disconnect the shift knob (on MTs) and the power port.

7) Remove the screws holding the wood trim, then pull up from the screw location first and then out to remove the wood trim.

8) There are like 6 screws holding the radio, remove these and slide out the radio. Disconnect all the harnesses. (Each harness can only fit in a connector, making re-installation a breeze)

9) Remove two screws from each side of the radio to prepare for the "L" brackets. Attach "L" brackets. Note brackets are marked for right and left sides.

10) Attach Sirius box to the brackets using the supplied screws. Plug in the harness and antenna (using the additional cable with the two pink female ends) to the radio and to the Sirius box. There are 3 plugs, but only the two that work will fit, super easy.

11) Reattach factory harnesses to radio and reinstall. Hook up power port. Reinstall the wood trim and then the shifter cover and knob. Reconnect the battery.

12) Activate radio and enjoy Sirius!!!!!

I believe that the XM radio would also have the same type of antenna connection; they are prewired for the antenna. The XM install parts and installation directions look exactly the same as the Sirius, at least going by the instructions. I guess the Sirius box will work with the Spec B radio, but I don't know if it displays through the screen or not. There have been some people talking about it on here. I have a regular GT model, so I really wasn't paying too much attention to Spec B posts. I do know that the '07 GT and the '08 GT radios have the same part number (verified thru dealer), so if someone can tell you if the Spec B radio is the same part number as the GT radio, you should be good to go. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

So do you HAVE to buy the unit from Subaru or can you just get the $100 unit? I just have a really hard time paying Subaru $400 for something when the rest of the world is only charging about $100...

Also, can someone clarify who makes the head unit in my '08 Spec.B? I understand the nav unit is a kenwood, but can't find any model numbers for the '08 and I also don't know if the HU is also a kenwood or alpine?

3) Pull down gently on the roof liner. It may make a noise but thats ok. Fish the pink antenna connector thru and connect to the pink connector in the driver's side headliner.

4) Mount antenna to windshield either in the corner or by the rearview mirror. (I went rearview)

5) Push headliner back into place and reinstall the lights and the two screws and the cover.

The pink wire you are talking about in the drivers side headliner, was it already there?

In the install instructions it looks as though it is, and I am not sure if the 2005 Legacy's have this wire preinstalled in the headliner.

Anyone done this on a 2005 Legacy? goneskiian?

If I'm not mistaken, the 05 tuner is not SAT-ready therefore the tuner will not work.

I just bought an '05 OBXT today and my dealer told me that the new tuner would not work in the '05. I'm sure he said it would only work in '07 0r ''08s.

D0n

I just bought an '05 OBXT today and my dealer told me that the new tuner would not work in the '05. I'm sure he said it would only work in '07 0r ''08s.

D0n

I am putting a 2007 Radio in my 2005 outback. THEN I am going to install the sirius tuner.

The only thing I need to know is if the antenna CABLE is already there from the headliner down to the dash.

If it is not I will have to get the wire from the headliner down to the radio.

Not a bad GUESS, I actually thought the same thing.

I just thought I would ask anyway in case they had the wire there for future use and have actually been using the same harness since the car was designed.

Before I tear into my headliner I thought I would ask.

Also if WE are in fact GUESSING CORRECTLY then I need the part number for the Wire

• 4 weeks later...

Subscribed...I have an 05 LGT and would look to do this upgrade...I already have a sirius account and a stilletto that i love...(at home)...I have been reading this thread and the others as thouroughly as possible...but am not clear on exactly what is needed to do the full conversion to sirius for an 05' ...

Sorry but for those who have done this maybe we can have a full account of the parts needed and if possible how it ocurred from their experience!

Thanks in advance!

J

Having read multiple threads on this forum on Sirius, I don't think doing a conversion would be very cheap to do on an '05. You would have to get a '07 up radio, and then you would have to run an antenna wire after you spend the $400 on the Subaru tuner. If you're interested, I was originally running a Stiletto in my car until the tuner came out ( I have an '07) and I am selling the car docking kit and the ProClip to mount it. Here's the link to that....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78287

Thanks for the info...actually I have the docking kit and everything still in the box that came with the Stiletto...plus a nice kuda mount for the car...and the aux plug running from my cleansweep...etc...i just am not happy with the bulky nature of the set-up..oddly enough...that and my wife loves the stilletto at home and we use it constantly...I was just looking for a cleaner set-up for listening to sirius...cost is a factor for sure...I was just hoping for a cleaner look...maybe I will caall sirius and see if I can hav a second reciever without a second account and put something in my cubby!

Thanks for the info...i am still busy reading all these threads!

J

I don't know why they didn't put the thing in when the car was manufactured. We just bought an 08 Ford Focus for the lady and all you have to do is register the radio. The antenna and tuner is already installed. Thats a hell of a lot easier.

Archived