LegacyGT.com

DBA4000 blank rotors

fweasel

The stock rotors are definitely "softer". The local member that got the DBA blanks got them just so he wouldn't warp the rotors with one panic stop, etc, like I have done with my stock rotors. The stock rotors can't really even take an aggressive daily driving routine:rolleyes:

lol wat? My stock rotors have held up fine and let's just say I've put them through their paces. I've melted wheel weights off.

Actually yes, pedal seemed bit more firmer. I know it looks like it's my head (and praedet's), but I think there was a difference. Yes, I used the same pads (Endless SSM). The only component that changed was rotors at that time.

Did you have to do anything to your pads to mate them to the new rotors??? Didn't think you were "supposed" to pair used pad with new rotors.

Did you have to do anything to your pads to mate them to the new rotors??? Didn't think you were "supposed" to pair used pad with new rotors.

Well I actually used brand new pair of pads I had with the new rotors (also SSM). Which according to Stoptech is less preferable - they suggested using used pads with new rotors if possible for some reason.

seems odd.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Fortunately the procedure is also good for the discs and will relieve any residual thermal stresses left over from the casting process (all discs should be thermally stress relieved as one of the last manufacturing processes) and will transfer the smooth layer of pad material onto the disc. If possible, new discs should be bedded with used pads of the same compound that will be used going forward. Again, heat should be put into the system gradually - increasingly hard stops with cool off time in between. Part of the idea is to avoid prolonged contact between pad and disc. With abrasive pads (which should not be used on high performance cars) the disc can be considered bedded when the friction surfaces have attained an even blue color. With the carbon metallic type pads, bedding is complete when the friction surfaces of the disc are a consistent gray or black. In any case, the discoloration of a completely broken in disc will be complete and uniform.

Hmm, good to know.

So if I cash my subie bucks in for some DBA's I could use my existing HPS pads.

You can use any combination of used or new parts. You need to bed new pads in for two reasons, to prevent green fade and to transfer a layer of pad material onto the rotor (new or used). You need to bed used pads onto new rotors solely to transfer pad material to the rotor. Even used pads and used rotors should be re-bed if the two were not previously used together, again for the pad material transfer.

ignore him, he'll go away.

^ ok. I just figured that used pads would be worn with individual imperfections of the particular rotor. i suppose the "re-bedding" takes care of that :confused:
Obviously there would be exceptions to that. You are correct, if the pads are all sorts of phucked up from poor condition rotors, it might be best to resurface them or toss them completely.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived