LegacyGT.com

new or cut stock turbo heat shield?

bman

I came back from the WBM this weekend with at least one thing I wanted to do; I noticed that everyone had a turbo heat shield on. When I did my UP and DP I didn't have the energy and I liked being able to see the turbo. After checking more of the threads here I guess heat being absorbed by things like the intercooler is more of an issue than I thought.

Now comes the problem. I tried putting the stock heat shield back on and I wouldn't fit. I noticed that some people say they had to cut theirs. Any directions where I need to make the cuts? Should I just buy an aftermarket one? Are the SPT or Cobb ones better (for fitment and heat dissipation)?

Thanks,

Brian

How much is your time worth?

A bolt-on aftermarket heatshield is $50.

I looked it my OE heatshield and thought about cutting it, but I didn't want some chewed, dull peice of twised metal sitting there covering up my shiny new DP.

Let's kick this pig!

I have one of the newer Cobb heatshields and it seems to fit okay. However, I would recommend that you trim the stock heatshield. You should be able to cut it with tin snips. The stock heatshield surrounds the downpipe better and therefore will probably block heat transfer better.

For those that cut their stock sheild. I noticed that the heat shield is actually 2 pieces (one from the top and the other attached to the UP from the bottom). Since my UP doesn't have mounting bolts/screws for the bottom piece. What did you guys do for that one?

Used cutoff wheel on a cordless drill...much tougher than a dremel. Plus, as noted, sparks = fun. Wear safety goggles. I did post a pic of my cut up shield about a year ago but have no idea where it is. I just held the shield up to the pipe, took a good guess, drew a line with a permanent marker, then cut along the line.

And yes, just toss the lower piece.

Cutoff wheel FTW. A Dremel with a fiber reinforced cutting wheel is ok too. Tin snips only work if you have hands the size of a gorilla and the strength to match! :lol: With a cutoff wheel it only takes me a couple of minutes to cut the stock heatshield.

I plan to add the factory heatshield back eventually, though it appears that will only protect the IC from heatsoak. Is there any way to protect the CV boot underneath?

Also, silly question? Does the factory heatchield install with the same bolts that hold the DP to the turbo and the turbo to the UP or will I be able to re-install it without loosening those bolt and having to retorque them?

Archived