LegacyGT.com

My sister needs a WRX... what do you think of this STI?

Hey guys,

my sister is driving a 2001 Nissan Maxima that I sold her when I bought my Spec B. Good old reliable has just turned 200,000 miles and it's time for a new car!

She loves the WRX and of course I'm trying to get her to join the Suabru family...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-WRX-STI-Impreza-AWD-300-HP-blacked-out-CUSTOM_W0QQitemZ230140906210QQihZ013QQcategoryZ31868QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tell me what you think of this STI!

I disagree ... while you definitely need food and water more than a car, what kind of food and water do you need? How many people eat a totally minimalistic meal every day and drink tap water? If that were the case, we wouldn't be a nation full of Fat F***s. For that matter, we also NEED exercise (you really can't argue that) but how many people skip the exercise for a bowl of Double Fudge Chunky Cookie Dough ice cream?

I do need a car. Almost as much as I need food and water. In fact, without a car, it would limit my ability to afford food and water. And the practicality of my choices in eating reflects the practicality of my choice in which food and water I consume. Nothing outrageous, but nice enough to make me happy.

The STI would be a "MUSTANG KILLER"

Do you need any other reason?

She knows the STI is the king of cars...

for insurance, costs, safety, theft, and comfort she might settle for a WRX.

Plus if she just gets a WRX then we can spend the weekends adding cool goodies like a short throw shifter, exhaust, Access Port, etc etc etc... :)

If anyone heres of a great deal on a adult owned WRX let me know..

Hmm a chick + an sti. That is one of two things 1) REALLY scary or 2) Totally hot. I guess it depends on what she looks like :)

She'd be able to handle the car ...with maybe a little coaching.....probably spend friday nights smashing on teenage boys in their 87-93 5.0's

What could be more fun

Mileage is high?

17k on a 2006... I have 30k on mine already!

Besides how many miles do you want a used car to have?

3k?

Usually 12k for a 1 yr old car.

You asked our opinion and now you're being sarcastic.

Usually 12k for a 1 yr old car.

You asked our opinion and now you're being sarcastic.

Sorry....not being sarcastic.... like I said her Maxima has 200k now and it is a 2001.

I really have 30k on my spec b already.

I guess I'm over twice the average!

Thanks for the info...

I'll have to check with her first to see if she minds if I post a pic... :)

I am confused, going from no payments on a 2001 maxima with 200k miles, to now a 30k car. Seems like a HUGE step. Maybe I am different than most, but i went from a mitsubishi mirage (crap) to a used wrx to a new lgt. Maybe find a used wrx for her, not an sti. Wrx's have HUGE insurance payments.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice guys... this car mentioned in above link has TOO many miles and is heavily modified..... .I want something my sister and I can work on together...not something that's already been put to the max and driven hard.

We found a used 2006 with 29k miles.

It is a white 5spd wrx.

I'm hoping we can make this work for her.

They are asking 19,500 but we have not made an offer yet....

What do you all think about this?

I think it is a great solution so I'm pushing for it!

My parents are helping her out and they have recently test driven the new Mazda3 sedan for 15k new.

It has NO POWER....and I mean that in the engine as well as the windows and door locks....

compared to a IMPREZA base 2.5i the Subaru wins..but compared to this WRX for only 4k more or so..depending on our offer.....

I think this is the car to get!

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rc=CANINT&yr=2006&cf=false&c=3&sw=false&pc=41989&rf=true&rcz=95747&mk=SUBARU&cs=215&dVeh=dVeh&vid=009419&rd=17&ar=45&ct=

I also think this will be the first MOD I have my sister go for....

stock RE92s have 29k on them...

any other suggestions...

PIC-0193.jpg.dc059a9759d14f899b452e67496c179a.jpg

PIC-0195.jpg.fc62a4af83ff7e5628848cf65ed59851.jpg

18k would be a decent price, however not a steal. tires... you can get good tires for under $350 installed (Falkens, Kumho) if you buy online and go to Walmart for the install (~$35)

one thing that I dislike about the WRX is the lack of head airbags - too many stories on nastycock about people getting t-boned and falling into a coma :eek:;)

OK guys..thanks...

I just test drove this car tonight...

ONE thing I noticed that concerns me is the Clutch Pedal

WOW

feels like my mustang felt years ago....

It took a super power leg to get that thing to the floor but I also noticed how you can shift gears in that thing without much movement on the clutch...

But anyone else here drive both the Legacy and the WRX...

what a difference...I was thinking it would be similar...

not even close...

I'm not too worried because it is still under warranty.....so if it is a problem it can be fixed...

Just someone tell me that the WRX clutch is just way different....

on the spec b the clutch goes down with my little toe and the shifter is crips clean and smooth... (I also have the cobb short throw)

ok...so the wrx stock is notchy and very tough to push the clutch down....

other than that the Car is very nice and tons of power... so... 18 would be good...we're goign to offer 17,500 and go from there....

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the guy communted to santa cruz so lots of highway miles...

ok, first off, how old is your sister?? is she an adult? is she a teenager? if she's a teenager, then please, don't let her get an STI. WRX is one thing, but STI can be too much for a new driver to handle. we see way too many young (20 or younger) people up here who wrap themselves around a damn tree. :(

however, if she's an adult and not a foolish street racer but just enjoys having a fun powerful AWD car, then why not? sure the seats in the STI aren't the most comfy (that might be an understatement), but the handling, and out of the box performance is amazing! even after all the money i've put into my LGT 5eat, the handling and power stock is just not comparable. the clutch takes a little to get used to, but not that difficult. I don't drive our 07 every day, so it takes me about a mile or two before i get the hang of it, but when i do... WOW! it's fun. in fact, i cannot wait til the 08 STI hatch comes out because that will be the next big purchase. :D

you can be a chick and enjoy driving (and even modding *gasp*!) fun fast cars. not all of us women are dikes who like subies, nor are we all stupid little giggling girls. some of us work, go to school, own our own businesses, etc. if your sister likes the wrx or the sti, then make sure you find her a good safe one. i would highly recommend having it thoroughly looked over because i've seen plenty of people get ripped off by bad used cars from modding or unmodding. subies are good reliable cars, but when someone mods them improperly or unmods them carelessly (most often the cause of unreliability), you could be buying a real dud! :(

personally, i'd never buy a turbo anything if it were used, unless it came with it's original factory warranty. i'd still have it thoroughly checked out and also post in the regional forums on NASIOC to see if anyone knows anything about the car of interest.

just my $.02 from a chick's point of view

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived