LegacyGT.com

Recommend me a great everday tire

HuskerScooby

My car is used principally for work. I rack on about 4000mi a month. It's a 2.5i non-GT so I don't necessarily need a performance tire, just a better performing one than my RE92's.

I was thinking about Michelin's as I see them on many stock "luxury" vehicles, so they must handle nice and be comfortable.

Anyone have suggestions worth looking into?

Falken Ziex 512s are good all weather tires that will outperform the RE92s and are very inexpensive. I wouldn't waste money on the good Michelin all-season tires given the number of miles you drive.

Even better performers, for a little more money, would be the Falken 452s.

Falken 512's are way overrated, with very soft sidewalls & fairly fast treadwear for the traction level. They also get very noisy for the last 1/2-1/3 of their short life...without that Consumer Reports test from several years ago they'd have long since been discontinued. Tires have come a long way since then!

They are better than the RE92, but not by much IMO...

I have an '05 2.5i and once I wore through the RE92's I put on Toyo Proxes TPT...live in MA, 3000m/month (lots of highway) and live in a rural area...better in snow than RE92 (though you can find much better all-seasons in snow than the Proxes), but WAY better than RE92 on highway, in rain, etc...kind of pricey, but 65k mile warranty...give 'em a looksie before you buy :)
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Falken Ziex 512s are good all weather tires that will outperform the RE92s and are very inexpensive. I wouldn't waste money on the good Michelin all-season tires given the number of miles you drive.

Even better performers, for a little more money, would be the Falken 452s.

i second these, well rounded cheap decent grip all weather tires. ignore the ppl who say they are overrated, i rate a set of 17s on my old WRX for 30K miles, sold those wheels and tires and they still had over 50% tread still left. if all youre doing is daily driving on them, they're great value for money. plus they handled decent in all conditions, rain, moderately heavy snow, etc.

I've got the Pirelli P-Zero Neros on my whip and like them quite a bit - for year round use.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S - good tires but pricey

Michelin Pilot A/S - very good tires but even more pricey

Michelin makes good and very good tires but charges a lot for them.

I have Dunlop SP 5000 and like them a lot.

Bridgestone RE960 are supposedly good.

Goodyear will be releasing Eagle F1 A/S in August and they look promising. One flavour is currently available as EMT (run flats if I am not mistaken) for Corvette.

Where do you live by the way? Do you need all seasons? What size of wheel do you have? Old 2.5i were 16 but newer ones are 17.

Krzys

PS Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S are decent too.

+1 On the General Exclaim UHP's .. they are cheap, and they seem to be great for me so far!

could you review them a little more? I have been leaning towards the conti's but I would like to hear about the Generals :)

A good everyday tire huh?

Kumho Ecsta V710 :lol:

V710's.. Err...hmmmm..

http://www.kumhousa.com/images/tires/EV710.jpg

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S - good tires but pricey

Michelin Pilot A/S - very good tires but even more pricey

Michelin makes good and very good tires but charges a lot for them.

I have Dunlop SP 5000 and like them a lot.

Bridgestone RE960 are supposedly good.

Goodyear will be releasing Eagle F1 A/S in August and they look promising. One flavour is currently available as EMT (run flats if I am not mistaken) for Corvette.

Where do you live by the way? Do you need all seasons? What size of wheel do you have? Old 2.5i were 16 but newer ones are 17.

Krzys

PS Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S are decent too.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will be looking into all of these individually. I live in Nebraska which is notorious for extreme weather -- both ways. Really hot days and sub-zero days. So I do need probably more of an H-rated tire and less of a Z. Someone mentioned a Touring tire, that's about the family of tires I think I need. Something quiet, my RE92's buzz on the highway, it's becoming fairly annoying and I have good sized sidewall bulge in one of the tires. Also, I have the stocker 16's right now and have considered upgrading to 17's but don't want to take away from comfort; that and people gouge like hell for stock 17 wheels on here! Someone convince me to stick with my 16's and go with a new set of tires to save me some money.

My mods thus far include, all season floor-mats, a K&N drop in air filter, an oversized WIX oil filter and a lovely yankee candle air freshener. :)

Check out the July issue of Road and Track. They discuss three tires "Built for Comfort and Speed"- Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, Firestone Firehawk GT, and Cooper CS4 Touring.

Thank you very much; reading up on the Turanza's and CS4's right now -- sounds promising

i second these, well rounded cheap decent grip all weather tires. ignore the ppl who say they are overrated, i rate a set of 17s on my old WRX for 30K miles, sold those wheels and tires and they still had over 50% tread still left. if all youre doing is daily driving on them, they're great value for money. plus they handled decent in all conditions, rain, moderately heavy snow, etc.

Your experience was a lot better than mine with the Falken 512's - I wore them out in under 30k on my old 04 FXT, at the time was probably driving 70-80% highway miles. The last 10k or so they were so loud it was very annoying on the highway...

I replaced them with BFG Traction T/A's, which were a far better tire in every way - can't comment on snow since I live in Georgia, but wet & dry traction wasn't even in the same league. Much firmer sidewalls was a big plus on the FXT, wish I could get them in a size to fit my OBXT as it needs a stiff tire too.

I'm putting Toyo Proxes S/T's on the OBXT in a couple days (RE92's are toast at 26k), seemed like the best option at a reasonable price for what I need.

get the general exclaim UHP are great tires. They are cheap, handle well, ride very smooth, and last a long time.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 3 years later...
I love my General Exclaim UHP, highest rating on tirerack, and cheap!

I have these tires as well and I agree they are great especially if you have the 2.5i non turbo. They have all the grip you will need for a non turbo car. Wet and dry handleing is awesome, no hydroplaining even when hitting puddles at 75 mph on the interstate. They filter bumps in the road well and seem to have a nice stiff sidewall. They have an all season rating so I drove them in snow. My suggestion is to not drive in any more than 6 inches. They still look great after one summer and about 6 thousand miles on them, no wear signs. I use 37 psi in my tires and havent seen any mileage reductions or gains. I just hate that they are loud now after 3-4 thousand miles. My general altimax artics are super loud too, both in stock size. All in all still both great tires. The noise levels are steering me away from buying generals next time.

My car is used principally for work. I rack on about 4000mi a month. It's a 2.5i non-GT so I don't necessarily need a performance tire, just a better performing one than my RE92's.

I was thinking about Michelin's as I see them on many stock "luxury" vehicles, so they must handle nice and be comfortable.

Anyone have suggestions worth looking into?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/michelin-pilot-sport-all-season-plus-157571p2.html

Posts #27 and 29, specifically.

Archived