LegacyGT.com

royal purple ?

this is the second season heavily racing the LGT (as in 2 or 3 + events per month) not to mention driving the car so much. i've been using RP in it before I started racing. so far, so good. if the engine dies from no oil consumption, i'll be sure to change my tune, but for now, the RP is great and i'll be sticking with it.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

this is the second season heavily racing the LGT (as in 2 or 3 + events per month) not to mention driving the car so much. i've been using RP in it before I started racing. so far, so good. if the engine dies from no oil consumption, i'll be sure to change my tune, but for now, the RP is great and i'll be sticking with it.

are you using RP's race or street oils. The street oils still is certified, were the race series is not.

are you using RP's race or street oils. The street oils still is certified, were the race series is not.

just the 5w30 street. not the race stuff. not worth it to me on that.

I'll only say this...

...of all the engine's we've replaced due to lack of lubrication issues, the majority used RP. We see a much lower fail rate with any other type of oil (synthetic or not).

Then why did you suggest it when i got the oil change down in FL :eek::eek::eek:

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I used RP for my first oil change on my 2.5i at 1400 miles....I'm at almost 6k......Got one change left of RP and then I will go back to Penzoil Platinum. used RP because I wanted to try it and Pep Boys had a deal on it

• 2 weeks later...
You got that right RP is really bad!:lol: I have used amsoil for the last year and a half! If people only knew.Amsoil dont have to hype their products,thats why they been around 34 years.

The only problem with royal purple is that amsoil always posts their so called "indy" tests on the back of the bottle. if royal purple is good enuff for 1000hp drag cars, its good enuff for my lgt

Since this seems to have become the oil update thread i had my oil changed 2/23/07 with Mobil 1 at 21,843 and i have around 23,700 as of this week and when i checked it (due to me being OCD because of this thread) i was about a half quart low. I topped it off with Mobil 1 as the oil on the dipstick still looked good (was still semi translucent).

I'll start keeping closer tabs on it since Betty is getting older and the last thing you want to do is oil starve a turbo car.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

The only problem with royal purple is that amsoil always posts their so called "indy" tests on the back of the bottle. if royal purple is good enuff for 1000hp drag cars, its good enuff for my lgt

I guess i will just have to keep my opinions to myself,use whatever you feel like,i used rp for 1 oil change and that was enough for me.:rolleyes:

• 8 months later...

i have used royal purple now for about 3 years....never a problem. but something has concerned me. i ran the change interval out to a little over 7k and when i pulled the dipstick out i saw it was coated in this "graphite" color stuff. i had to scrub it off the end. what concerns me is that "molly" the ingredient in rp is a liquid graphite of sorts. i have read that extended intervals bring make it separate from the oil and stick to stuff and even clog lines. have i been duped into using rp and now see the "bad" side of it? thanks for th help.

" Moly is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. Over time this may actually clog or partially clog oil filters or oil lines and the remainder normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals."

i have used royal purple now for about 3 years....never a problem. but something has concerned me. i ran the change interval out to a little over 7k and when i pulled the dipstick out i saw it was coated in this "graphite" color stuff. i had to scrub it off the end. what concerns me is that "molly" the ingredient in rp is a liquid graphite of sorts. i have read that extended intervals bring make it separate from the oil and stick to stuff and even clog lines. have i been duped into using rp and now see the "bad" side of it? thanks for th help.

" Moly is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. Over time this may actually clog or partially clog oil filters or oil lines and the remainder normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals."

excellent update. thanks.

otoh i have been using mobile 1 with no problems so far. no burning etc...i have been redlining my car since the day i bought it. no break in what so ever.

I'll keep using the RP 5W30 in the LGT until it's sold. I don't plan on running it hard this year, will be running the new car for that. I am told by our techs to switch to 5W40 vs 30 weight.

Amsoil Sucks!

I have been using it for years. I put it in my 1990 Corolla and I accidentally forgot to change the oil once. It went 3 times over the recommended interval!! Whoops.

I checked the oil and it looked like it just came out of the bottle. Amazing!

It doesn't void your warranty, doesn't seem to break down, runs great in every condition, sells for a reasonable price, etc.

I would NOT recommend it to anyone.

(kidding ofcourse, its a great product!)

FYI, this doesn't mean tons and tons here but....

My Civic SI burned about 1 qt every 1-2k for the first 25k miles of the engine....I switched to AMSOIL and after 5k miles with it, the engine stopped consuming oil.

Now, on I'm my second fill of AMSOIL and after 2k with it topped off the oil line hasn't gone down a hair. I check it cold in the morning.

Furthermore, completely anecdotal, but after 9.5k the oil was not black nor even darkened that much. That's how long I had my last AMSOIL fill in for...I did an oil analysis on my car at that point.

I had about the same wear numbers for my engine as was averaged at 5300 miles. In other words, I was wearing at about half the rate of the average from people who had submitted oil for analysis with the same engine....

Again, lots of anecdotal. I swear by the stuff now...mainly becuase I don't need to worry about consumption nearly as much.

Joe

It's not the oil. I switched to a blue anodized aluminum milled oil-filler cap and got an additional 4 mpg, 22 crank hp, 31 ft-lbs tq, and a 4 new AM stations on the radio!!!!

Aftermarket oil-filler cap FTW!

No really, for those of you running the Amsoil - did you stick with a 5w-30 or switch to a different viscosity? Signature series or XL or ??

I was running serious 2000 0w30, now running SSO 0w30 (replaced the previous).

3k on the new fill so far.

The only thing that change is the name. Link to OA's on G/F's 05 WRX, 13.5k on oil sample & my 05 GT, alittle over 11k on oil sample. I ran EaO-020, biggest single spin-on filter Amsoil list for Subaru.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82383

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived