LegacyGT.com

Stereo mod help

elephantattack

I've got a 2005 Legacy 2.5i and I bought Jazzy's board to install in it... BIG MISTAKE... I mean the board is probably fine but it seems the pinout is different (I have a 1 CD)... Well after installing it and starting up the stereo I heard the most lovely sound which I can only describe as KKKKKKKKEEAAAGGSSSGG!!!! Coming from the speakers.

Anyways, let's hear some ideas on alternates. I don't really want to use that dumb looking aftermarket adapter plate but if that's what it comes to... I'm sort of a perfectionist in the respect that everything has to look clean and smooth. I saw someone on here mod the stock front to accommodate an after market stereo, could I do this? If so, can someone give me tips on how? I've got a friend at a machine shop who might be able to cut me one for next to nothing (usually.. doesn't charge me at all), but I don't want to go through the hassle of getting him the part etc, etc...

I REALLY want my iPod in my car, HELP!!!

I had an aftermarket stereo in my last car. I had a '05 2.5i. There was no way I couldn't have an aftermarket stereo in there....I love my bass :) Anyways when the dash kit finally came out I was all over it. I got mine at a stereo shop and it was like $30. I don't have a pic of the one I used to have but here is what it looks like.

99-8901.jpg.f94d97b6b45b47eea66537644cdf63be.jpg

can't you play the ipod through radio and an ipod radio transmitter?

I'm sure you can...I don't know much about iPods. I didn't know if he was just looking to play his iPod or looking to buy an aftermarket stereo with an iPob adapter. It depends whats you are looking for ya know? If you want to eventully hook some subs it is a waste to get an adapter for your factory stereo b/c subs hooked up to a factory deck sounds like crap in my opinion. Some people don't mind it though....it doesn't sound bad unless you are used to an aftermarket setup.....then you can really notice the difference.

Yeah sure I can use a transmitter but I'm a mild audiophile and I know how crappy it sounds. Subiechik do have stock speakers? Im not going to replace the speakers, they sound fine and they are within my budget ;) (ie they are already payed for lol)

Where did you buy that kit from? I saw that kit online for 60 dollars, was it a chain or... ? yeah I'm not crazy about spending 60 bucks on a chunk of plastic to install my stereo that's going to cost 100 bucks or more. Anyone recommend a CHEAP stereo that still sounds decent running through stock subie speakers?

Well I HATE FM transmitters... SubieChik, do you have stock speakers in your car? Where did you buy your install kit because the one I found online costs 60 bucks. It looks like that's what I'm going to do since it appears that my stereo is shot. Anyone want to recommend me a stereo that works well with the stock speakers?

Thanks for the help guys (and girls hehe).

• 2 weeks later...
I left the stock speakers in there cause you are right...they do sound fine. I had 2 10" rockford subs though. I also had a 5.0V Kenwood exelon deck. I bought the kit in Alaska. I would say maybe your best bet would be go to an audio place...I dunno just shop around. It's definately worth it though cause I couldn't even tell it was an aftermarket plastic dash kit. Looked stock. Same color and everything.

Well shows what you know... If you think the only way to get good sound is by spending huge sums of money then you're not really bright. In fact, most of the time the only difference between a system that costs 400 dollars and one that costs 2,000 dollars is the nameplate... And don't get me started on the big thick stereo cables... The amount of sound loss you're going to hear is NOT worth the 30 extra dollars you pay... Just get some decent thickness cables, that's it. I got a pair of speakers from GOODWILL for 30 bucks that sound better than the more expensive tower systems out there (my receiver is a bit noisy but it was pretty cheap)... The speakers i got from goodwill have two 12" woofers a piece and you can get them to 200watts RMS...

Don't beileve me? come over and I'll prove they sound almost perfect (need to replace that sucky receiver)

I have a used Dash kit for sale for $30 shipped, if you are intersted let me know.

Edit: Actually I have the dash kit, Kenwood HU, Kenwood Sirus tuner for sale. I took it out of my 2.5i when I sold it

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Don't beileve me? come over and I'll prove they sound almost perfect (need to replace that sucky receiver)

relax Francis. You're obviously passionate about music and saving money so I have nothing to offer this thread other than my professional experience which I'll keep to myself. PM me your address. :lol: I'll have my speakers sent via cartage first (Goodwill doesn't carry that brand) and then we can have a bit of a listening session.

ignore him, he'll go away.

The guys who suggested checking your install are on the right track. Seriously, the jazzy board is not the problem unless you got a bad one. I put mine in last week and it's sound quality is indistinguishable from CD on the stock stereo. I would say it is not worth the effort to add a new deck while keeping the stock speakers.

Has anyone found a way to install an after market head unit into LGT wagon? I'd like to keep the same appearance as stock and would love to find some supplier that makes a matching trim piece to accept an Alpine headunit. Any suggestions/recommendations?

I just installed an aftermarket headunit because after I took out the jazzy boad my cd player wouldn't work... I bought a JVC KD-PDR30 from crutchfield and they sent me all the other stuff... The radio doesn't work though my guess would be that since they have me running the antenna into the ground cable (because they do) It wasn't very much more expensive than the jazzy board. Don't really care about the radio as I never use it anyways haha so it works great!

I ran the iPod cable down to the cubby between the seats

Now I just need a sub... I want something that sounds good, again... For not a lot of money.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g173/elephantattack/IMG_0813.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g173/elephantattack/IMG_0815.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g173/elephantattack/IMG_0785.jpg

WOW...maybe I'm too late. I didn't see your thread until today. I'm in the same boat...05 LGT and no way to play my ipod, + I hate the FM Transmitter.

I found mvigneau's thread with his aux-in board....works like a real aux-in...no blank cd. Got lucky and found someone to install it, on a spare LGT radio. I'm not good withh that stuff. Mvigneau doesn't do installs anymore, but he has updated his how-to manual (got out the bugs) and may still make boards. I hear it works very well now...we'll see. I should get mine back soon.

mvigneau's aux-in thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18870

KevinH

Thanks for the photos. What model year is your Legacy? I don't have the same climate controls as you. I've got an 05 with the electronic auto climate control. I want to put in an Alpine, but need to see if there's something like what you've got for a finish cover. So far, no luck.

Thanks

John

Thanks for the photos. What model year is your Legacy? I don't have the same climate controls as you. I've got an 05 with the electronic auto climate control. I want to put in an Alpine, but need to see if there's something like what you've got for a finish cover. So far, no luck.

Thanks

John

They don't make a dash kits for the GTs. They never will either because of the automatic climated controls. The only way you can put in an aftermarket deck is by putting it in your flip up pocket above your radio or customizing your factory dash to allow you to keep your climate control. If you have navigation, you can pretty much only go the 2nd route. I am in the same boat as you. I have navigation though and I don't want to pay a lot of money for customization. I just decided to sell my deck and get the Rockford 3sixty so I can hook my subs up to my factory head unit and still have it sound good. I don't know what you are really looking for though.

Thanks SubieChik. Disappointing news.

I wanted to put in an Alpine deck to go with their 4.150. You sold your deck? The Rockford 3sixty has CD/tuner? If you have nav where did you mount it.

I was planning on putting guages in the flip pocket.

A local stereo shop said the only thing they could do was try to clean up the signal from the factory head unit.

They don't make a dash kits for the GTs. They never will either because of the automatic climated controls. The only way you can put in an aftermarket deck is by putting it in your flip up pocket above your radio or customizing your factory dash to allow you to keep your climate control. If you have navigation, you can pretty much only go the 2nd route. I am in the same boat as you. I have navigation though and I don't want to pay a lot of money for customization. I just decided to sell my deck and get the Rockford 3sixty so I can hook my subs up to my factory head unit and still have it sound good. I don't know what you are really looking for though.

I just thought I'd throw this in there for anyone who wants to install an aftermarket stereo with the manual climate controls... DON'T unhook the climate controls! It's much easier to do it without unhooking it. I say that because in the crutchfield install instructions it says to. DON'T you'll thank me later.

Archived