LegacyGT.com

What to get for vanity plates.... check out my ideas, offer yours

VaBeachSubie

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
really? i didnt know all that. they haven't given me hell yet... now im curious, are you a cop or do u just know that?

On my last car I had a cover over my plate that was slightly smoked and my friend was pulled over while driving my car b.c of it. I was pulled over by 2 cops because of it, even though I wasn't speeding or anything. They told me that it was illegal and that I could have a clear one, so now I have a clear one.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Hmm... I had 2 smoked covers, but I switched the front to clear cause it was too dark with no license plate light. Whereas the plate on the back with the smoked cover could be seen at night because of the lights.

Good to know though.

BTW: Amy... chicks with Stage 2 are bad arse! And your sig is effin hilarious!! :lol:

• 5 years later...

The best idea I have seen is guys using those laptop privacy films over their rear plates so you can only view it from directly behind the car. works very well for speed cameras as well as those trunk mounted tag scanners on police cars.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLHjC9KzGbk]Non Visible License Plate - YouTube[/ame]

:ohhh:

^ Really neat...but in some areas (read: in areas where the local government makes big bucks off speed/red-light camera tickets), that'll get you pulled-over, cited, and the offending plate-cover confiscated.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I realize the illegality of the idea but this guy said he has been using it for some time with no problems.

Usually when the officer in question is looking at your plate he is directly behind your car so there would be no problems.

I mean these things are online for under $20 I am very tempted to try it out but I am not sure I have the cojones :lol:

plus I hate dealing with pissed off cops esp for stupid bs like this would bring.

I realize the illegality of the idea but this guy said he has been using it for some time with no problems.

Yep, there's many people here in Metro Cleveland that uses similar similar devices - haven't seen one like what you posted, though, which I think looks much cleaner as well as is less likely to arouse enforcement action.

I see cars with plate-obscuring covers all the time. Some I see for a couple of days or weeks on my commute, and then suddenly they're without (a couple even re-invested :lol:). It doesn't take much to figure out what happened. :p:lol: That said, there's also cars with plate covers that have yellowed or become opaque due to long-term exposure, and like your friend, they haven't gotten pulled over, either (obviously!). :lol:

It's a risk the driver takes, much the same of a lot of speed-detection countermeasures (which, of-course, most here know my stance on ;)).

Usually when the officer in question is looking at your plate he is directly behind your car so there would be no problems.

I mean these things are online for under $20 I am very tempted to try it out but I am not sure I have the cojones :lol:

plus I hate dealing with pissed off cops esp for stupid bs like this would bring.

^ Yep, I hear ya on that one.

There are risks I'm willing to take, and other times, I'm just not thrilled at the idea of simply being hassled and delayed on my daily routine. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 years later...

That F-body is one sexy mutherfooker. I am a big fan of the WS6 cars. Even verts.

Archived