LegacyGT.com

New Face Plate for '05 Legacy Aftermarket Deck Install?

hal9e3

[quote name='scans007'] Plus I wouldn't buy a 1st gen car like that...they will need to work the kinks out...[/QUOTE] The LGT is essentially a new gen. Its still going to have it quirks. I wouldn't really consider the MazdaSpeed a 1st gen, certainly a new one, but its more of an extension of the 6 which has been out a bit. Its obviously a new engine set-up, but so is the LGT in terms of production. Its very similar to the STI, but some different pieces and different management, so its essentially a new version as well. Don't get me wrong, I love my LGT, but its got its shortcomings. Nothing that is high on my priority list so its a great car for me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
[quote name='c_hunter']Guys, keep in mind that the climate control and the radio share a circuit board! In fact, the harness for the climate control plugs into the back of the radio. It is really impossible to separate the two. I do not see any aftermarket or custom solutions being possible unless you keep the entire factory radio connected and stashed somewhere. The level of integration between HVAC and stereo on the cars with auto climate control is kind of scary. As far as I know, the JDM double-DIN faceplate is only for cars with manual climate control. So US folks with the 2.5i model have a better shot at this than us guys with auto climate control. BTW, be wary of stereo shops and custom installers who can claim to pull something like this off. My experience (dating back to when I installed stereos up through my D.Sc. in mechanical engineering) is that installers go by the cookbook and are not capable of the brain surgery required to separate the stereo and climate control in an application like the Legacy. Heck, a lot of installers still can't hook up RF modulators or figure out line-ins to the factory radio because appropriate adapters are not out yet. Regular people on this board figured it out months ago. CRaig[/QUOTE] I hope this not a stupid question. Can the ribbon that is Plugged in from the HVAC to the stereo be plugged into where the stereo is plugged into on the circut board? If I understand correctly, the HVAC is attached to the stereo, whick is attached to this big circut board. If you remove the stereo and plug the HVAC directly to the circurt. I have put a call into my Subaru dealer regarding more detailed info with the Stereo/HVAC. Hopefully I may tell us something.

There is no way to tell how the circuits are routed without tearing things apart and potentially encountering an un-fixable problem. I certainly don't want to be that guinea pig. You can't just unplug something here and expect it to work over there. All these systems are tested with certain configurations and won't necessarily work otherwise. Maybe it will, but there is really no way to tell without some good EE knowledge and money to pay for a new set-up when you break everything.... I doubt a subaru dealer will help you try and rip apart the HVAC and radio controls either....no offense

[size=2]My dealer is big on aftermarket stuff. THe dealer might not help me directly modify it, but should provide me with the information on what does what so either myself or my audio tech can do the job.[/size]

Thanks for the link. I have to have an aftermarket head unit. So much cleaner than mucking around with the factory radio. My audio guy and I have come up with a plan to install my Alpine head unit in the car. I will make sure there are lots of pic's when I am done. Final product won't be done until closer to spring.

Archived