LegacyGT.com

New Face Plate for '05 Legacy Aftermarket Deck Install?

hal9e3

If some one can tell me the way to take the radio apart, in a way that I will be able to easily put it back together, I'll use my 2.5i as a guinni [sp?] pig for the manual climate control board questions. I'll make sure to take plenty of pics if someone takes the time to write nice direction :D .

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[color=black]I have a 2.5i and over Christmas I will be tearing my dash apart so I can determine how I can separate the stereo from the HVAC controls. If I can temporarily separate the HVAC from the stereo, I will be having a face plate machined (January time frame). If I can't I'm going to have to wait until winter's over and I don't need the controls for a while. I'll take pictures and post over Christmas and will post designs for a face plate when I'm finished with it.[/color]

I may be completely wrong with this, but I've been thinkin it for a while and here goes. Why not just leave all of the factory circuitry in place, unhook all of the wires for the stereo, and then hook up an aftermarket stereo in it's place? The panel to makes this possible is a different story, but as far as wiring goes, it seems fully possible to me.

[quote name='sspicollo8']No, I meant to just leave the circuitry in place, cut the panel in half so that you only have the HVAC controls left (or some other better way of removing the factory stereo but leaving the HVAC), and then put a new panel in place that you can put a DIN stereo in.[/QUOTE] Its all connected on one circuit board. You can't simply cut it in half and expect it to work. I realize everyone's frustration with this issue. I too have my own gripes about it. However, i don't think the solution is that easy. Do i think there will be a DIN replacement, nope. Unless someone spends the time to try and re-route EVERYTHING, we are pretty much stuck with what we have. I can easily see the cost of something like that getting expensive, not to mention there isn't really any way of testing its effect on the car's computer other than trial and error.

[quote name='D-2.5-GT']Its all connected on one circuit board. You can't simply cut it in half and expect it to work. I realize everyone's frustration with this issue. I too have my own gripes about it. However, i don't think the solution is that easy. Do i think there will be a DIN replacement, nope. Unless someone spends the time to try and re-route EVERYTHING, we are pretty much stuck with what we have. I can easily see the cost of something like that getting expensive, not to mention there isn't really any way of testing its effect on the car's computer other than trial and error.[/QUOTE] The other thing is to cross our fingers and hope the '06 has a single or double din setup with climate control and what not and just do the swap. :)

[size=2]Just a thought, but couldn't a person simply wire up a deck without using any of the factory stuff. Basically all you need to do is find accessory power, illumination and 12volt power. You can run new speaker wire to the doors, granted you would have a wasted space as far as the factory deck is concerned, but I would think that it would be something that can be done.[/size]

[quote name='spoondog'][size=2]Just a thought, but couldn't a person simply wire up a deck without using any of the factory stuff. Basically all you need to do is find accessory power, illumination and 12volt power. You can run new speaker wire to the doors, granted you would have a wasted space as far as the factory deck is concerned, but I would think that it would be something that can be done.[/size][/QUOTE] yes, you could potentially wire a whole new set-up in there for a different radio, but then there really isn't any place to put it. It could either go in the glove box, which would make it hard for the driver to access, or in the cubby slot, which is probably the more likely option. However, now you have to do some cutting to fit in that slot and custom mount the thing. Nothing too hard, but a pain none the less. You still can't get rid of the current radio, so now you would have two. If the 06 has some type of set-up chances are a switch would be ok, still big $ even before buying and getting all your radio components though. I would like to find some stuff out about that last toggle location on the source selection button. Its got a bar to stop it from being pressed, but someone mentioned there was some writing on it, indicating a possible 4th source selection. With that, you could easily, well depending on your ability, wire an IPod or sat radio with a push button turn on. hmm....it will be some time however.

Hello everyone. As a self-proclaimed audiophile, shortly after deciding on the Legacy, I began to look for ways around the fact that there was little if any means of swapping out the head unit. I ran across a piece from AudioControl called the LC6, which allows aftermarket amps (and speakers for that matter) to be utilized with the factory head unit. There is even an optional subwoofer control knob that can be mounted for adjustments on the fly (for us bassheads;) ). The LC6 is listed @ $149, and the subwoofer knob is about $40. Check out their website for more info. [url="http://www.AudioControl.com"]www.AudioControl.com[/url]. Hope this helps! I've already ordered mine, and will keep you all posted on my results. See ya! DeepFreeze:cool:
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

The Loc is a great option that many people already used in the LGT. the problem is that we want a whole new headunit so we can use better SQ, MP3, NAVI etc... btw, the davin navone LOC i a great option at a fraction of the price from audiocontrol. [quote name='DeepFreeze2']Hello everyone. As a self-proclaimed audiophile, shortly after deciding on the Legacy, I began to look for ways around the fact that there was little if any means of swapping out the head unit. I ran across a piece from AudioControl called the LC6, which allows aftermarket amps (and speakers for that matter) to be utilized with the factory head unit. There is even an optional subwoofer control knob that can be mounted for adjustments on the fly (for us bassheads;) ). The LC6 is listed @ $149, and the subwoofer knob is about $40. Check out their website for more info. [url="http://www.AudioControl.com"]www.AudioControl.com[/url]. Hope this helps! I've already ordered mine, and will keep you all posted on my results. See ya! DeepFreeze:cool:[/QUOTE]

Instead of screwing around with LOC's I am going to tap a line level signal right off the sound processor IC, M62490FP, Pin 14 R.R OUT, Pin 15F.R.OUT, Pin 22 F.L.OUT, Pin 23 R.L.OUT. I think this would be much better for sound quality.These pins feed the internal amp IC TA6224AH (21 watts X 4). If you want the data sheets on these IC's just paste them into google, and they will turn up. I am also looking into the sat button that others have found. The board has space on the board for all the parts for the sat input. Just need to figure out what they are and install them. (anybody have connections at Panasonic?). Anyway it will be a PITA.

This is interesting stuff about getting into the radio's electronics for sat input and sound processor output stuff. Please do keep us informed. It would be great if the SAT input could be run out for an MP3/SAT tuner line. that would solve a lot of problems. As far as the aftermarket din-plate, I for one, and maybe the only one, would give up the dual-zone auto climate stuff for just the three-knob manual adjustment stuff, if it meant being able to install a double din HU, or a single and other electronics in that space. It is stupid that it should come to that, but nevertheless, a nice sound system that is compatible with an iPod would be worth more to me than having to change the temp, fan and vent settings by hand. I don't really mind doing it on the vehicles I have now. Between stereo, SAT Radio/MP3 players, NAV, Boost/Temp/EGT, Radar Detector, and on and on... there just isn't much real estate in cars for all this stuff :D

[quote name='gtwannabe']Instead of screwing around with LOC's I am going to tap a line level signal right off the sound processor IC, M62490FP, Pin 14 R.R OUT, Pin 15F.R.OUT, Pin 22 F.L.OUT, Pin 23 R.L.OUT. I think this would be much better for sound quality.These pins feed the internal amp IC TA6224AH (21 watts X 4). If you want the data sheets on these IC's just paste them into google, and they will turn up.[/QUOTE] Cool info! Google turned up the data sheet for the M62490FP but no results for the TA6224AH. Could you have made a typo in this part number? Be sure to keep us updated on your progress. :-)

OK, here's one I haven't seen anyone comment on yet. I despise the auto climate control anyway, is it possible to swap a manual from a base model Leg? Here are some of my concerns initially. 1. Most manual switches use a cable and guide to turn vents on/off and adjust how much coolant flows into the heater core. My guess is the auto uses either an electric motor or a vacuum motor (more likely). This would have to be overcome. 2. There may be many other wires running through the head unit that have nothing to do with the climate control or radio. I have heard some manufacturers like to centralize much of their wiring here, such as ABS, chimes, lights, etc. Any thoughts on this project?

Well, heres some input from a newbie......I have a mazda6 with the same dash setup. Trading my 6 in for a 05 GT next week. I was hop'n not go to go through this again with....but looks like I will. Y don't manufactures ever like us fun mod'n people [url="http://www.bostonwolfpack.com/Scans007/stereo.htm"]http://www.bostonwolfpack.com/Scans007/stereo.htm[/url] If you hit that link you can see pics of my install. Yes it had the same set up and was one of the hardest things I have EVER DONE. Everything works with the heat and temps and stuff, but I could never get the LCD display work'n. As for Metra and Soche, I have been in direct contact with them for the mazda6 giv'n them input on what I did....they will have one out for the 6 but it's been delay'd delay'd and delay'd. So don't expect ANYONE to hit that 6 month mark as on the 1st pages of post. Obviously I am interested and Will talk to Tim Maddox at Soche and get the skinny for the 05's......hope I get a warm welcome =) If anyone has good info for me feel free to fire me emails or post it up........... To my future hapiness in my GT =)

[size=2]I have a RF 400a4 (1999 model) with front and rear high level inputs. Do you guys think that this would be good enough? I was hoping to use it as it has pass through RCAs for a sub amp which would be my bd1000a1 to two 12" RF HX2s. Or, do you think I should go with a separate LOC?[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]BTW I pick up my 05 Regal Blue LGT tomorrow. I can't wait.[/size]

"Neat 6, scan007! How are you feeling about the Mazdaspeed 6?" Well I didn't want to hijack this thread, cuz I was really just look'n for info on the stereo setup and stuff......but...:D Tak'n delivery of my 05 GT on Monday......SWEET. Now i get to strip down the 6, and part it out (Unless anyone knows someone that would want it for 18k). The Mazdaspeed is look'n sweet....4cyl twin turbo AWD....but really the GT is already what it's gonna be with a much shorter price tag....Plus I wouldn't buy a 1st gen car like that...they will need to work the kinks out...maybe I'll go back in 3 years....but I doubt it....I just sat in the GT and knew I wanted it =) Once again, sorry for the Hijack......I promise to post what I find out about the dash kits as soon as I find anything out. You'll be hear'n more from me real soon.....gotta learn the board too :D

Archived