LegacyGT.com

snow update: pzero-nero v. toyo proxes 4

lemming

got 5-6 inches in new england. i did a comparison in both cars with the different tires. the Pirelli P Zero Neros, as a lot of people expected from looking at the tread pattern, do a lot better from a dead standstill and also under braking. it is not as though the proxes 4 are all that much worse, but the pirelli's are noticeably better in snow.

i didn't find the pricing difference to be so much that it would prevent me from buying pirelli's in the future. i love the toyo's, don't get me wrong, but there is no doubt that the PZero Nero M&S tire is much, much better in snow. I'd give the edge to the Proxes 4 when it rains and both have squishy soft sidewalls when it's dry.

[quote name='lemming']i didn't find the pricing difference to be so much that it would prevent me from buying pirelli's in the future. i love the toyo's, don't get me wrong, but there is no doubt that the PZero Nero M&S tire is much, much better in snow. I'd give the edge to the Proxes 4 when it rains and both have squishy soft sidewalls when it's dry.[/QUOTE] Could you give a numerical value to the Dry/Wet/Snow handling of each the way TireRack does? That may help some of us decide between the two. How's the noise with each? Thanks

[quote name='lemming']i didn't find the pricing difference to be so much that it would prevent me from buying pirelli's in the future. i love the toyo's, don't get me wrong, but there is no doubt that the PZero Nero M&S tire is much, much better in snow. I'd give the edge to the Proxes 4 when it rains and both have squishy soft sidewalls when it's dry.[/QUOTE] I'm not saying that the price difference is huge, but the Pirellis sell for $116 at the Tirerack.com while the Toyos sell for $88 at Edgeracing.com. That is almost 32% more per tire and for a set of four come out to a total difference of $112. Not all the money in the world, but not chump change either. I think that both are fine tires and good values, it just depends on how much $$$ you have to spend.

• 2 weeks later...
I hear everyone saying the sidewalls are very squishy. I'm not saying they aren't, but my question is what tire pressures are you running? I'm running 40-42psi up front with a lack of 4psi in the rear bias. That really makes all the difference right there. The tires are MUCH more firm, grip better, run better in the rain, etc, etc. At least in the Toyos, you need to run more pressure to really get that good feedback. It's definitely not as hard as a summer or competition tire, but it's not something to completely balk at either.

I'm probably selling some PZero Nero's (basically brand new ~200 miles on them) in the 225/45/17 size. Check out this thread for details... [url]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5275[/url] Let me know if you're interested.

I saw the toyo's for $82 a piece recently--that's a fairly hefty price difference... How are the pirelli's though really in snow, say in comparison to high performance snows? Thats what I'd like to know. I've never had the high performance snows--only very businesslike studded nokians for winter, which would climb an ice mountain w/out a hiccup bet weren't exactly handlers inthe dry. I know the high performance winter's have less performance in the snow, and wonder how they compare to a good all season. I know some all seasons are much better than others in the white stuff.

Archived