LegacyGT.com

X02 Catback vs Magnaflow mufflers

I can write this fro the true experience as I have run both now in the last two weeks.

I had bought a set of magnflows and had them on for a couple of weeks. Great tips, although they stuck out a little too far but that could have perfected if the person I bought them from had welded them correctly. The sound on a totally stock system was incredible. Low, throaty...mean. I got a great deal on an X02 cat back. Just installed it recently and while the price was right, I would have stuck with the Magnaflows. Better sound...not too loud, perfect. IMO, the Magnaflows on the stock system is the better sound for those of us looking to keep it a little quiter...throatier and classier all around.

Just my Opinion.

Leg...please no disrespect. They were ok (the welds) but I got this great deal ona full cat back so I changed yesterday. Just letting everyone know i wouuld throw a new set of magnaflows back on in a minute...the sound of the magnaflows was throatier..deeper and just better.

Im glad I was able to LOL everyone. The moral of the story (AND please understand this is not a dig against X02) you can spend a couple hundred dollars on Magnaflow cans and have a great sounding system while keeping the stock piping (less cans). Also understand that this is my opinion.

Well any full catback system will vary in sound vs just a set of cans installed. You can bolt up the xo2 cans to your stock mid and Y pipe and that will deepen and mellow out the tone. What you are doing is comparing two totally different type of setups.

Damn...Now I am torn between feeling bad for you and happy for my buddy Rich who picked up your magnaflow's! We just installed them friday night and they look great on the wagon...perfect fit and great, great sound. Just a little quieter than the magnaflow's I have...very nice!

You should keep the XO2 piping and sell the mufflers when you find some used Magnaflow's a lot of folks are looking for a more aggressive exhaust note.

I like mine. I have 3" TBE setup with a 3"hi flow cat, and Borla XR1 muffler as reasonater, and split to 2 2.25" magnaflows. Nice sound very quiet, no droning and mean when you get on the gas.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Seems like you wouldn't get much performance gain with stock piping and Magnaflow mufflers. From what I understand, piping is an issue on the stock. Thoughts? I was just about to pull the trigger on the X02, but I want moderatly quiet and this seems to indicate they'd be a bit too loud. How does AVO mufflers compare if anyone knows?

Seems like you wouldn't get much performance gain with stock piping and Magnaflow mufflers. From what I understand, piping is an issue on the stock. Thoughts? I was just about to pull the trigger on the X02, but I want moderatly quiet and this seems to indicate they'd be a bit too loud. How does AVO mufflers compare if anyone knows?

XO2 CBE is slightly louder than my Hogzawst stage 2, only without the pff pff at idle and supposedly adds a little to the mid range power (ala MR CBE testing).

I did some data logging after installing XO2 on my otherwise stock vehicle and I did measure a small gain in acceleration.

If you want to see if you like the sound, try the Hogzawst! It's practically free, takes about 15 minutes, and completely reversible.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Despite the eletists' condescention I am finding it difficult to imagine an aftermarket exhaust system I would prefer over my Hawgzaust enhanced sound. I have listened to every soundclip and vivid description. Every day presents an array of real life soundbites from the streets. More than anything I know what I DON"T want, an exhaust that my ears can follow long after the vehicle is out of sight, sometimes blocks away.

My car works great and people offer unsolicited comments all the time about its sound. "Like a finely tuned race car," was the last one. In fact, it is. Even I, accelerating from a stop sign and passing under an interstate underpass with my windows half open, was startled by the vicious and abnormal feedback. Not long ago a semi-pleasant young policeman, after following me to a nearby auto parts store, cautioned me not-to-do-that-in-front-of-a-cop..... and all I had done was cross the intersection quickly :). The sound is good.

My exhaust does not "pff pff at idle." It did at first I admit, and that's why I grew intimate with removing the mufflers. In the end the sound gives no hint there is an 'exhaust leak' involved.

In separate threads I have explained what I've done to get this sound. In short, I have modified the stock muffler's internals, employed my 12ga copper wire mod, and slightly shaped the resultant 'port' in exponential tweeter horn fashion. Even without the Hawgzausted port the mufflers come alive under power now. But while they dyno and log very well they do not speak enough of the character of the engine. With the ports added, and their sound directed to combine with the mufflers, the single very nasty exhaust note is menacing under power. Drive it slowly and only those near will detect its nature.

My LGT is a top level VF40 setup, with all the bells and whistles..... except that ellusive exhaust I would intellectually prefer. Given my Cobb DP w/HFC which is necked down to 2.5" so that its stock donut gasket can interface exhausts so equipped, a 12" midpipe and semi-truck mufflers would do nothing. Furthermore, the VF40 itself is the primary limiting factor, not the DP.

A bigger turbo changes everything. But for now my sound is great, and did not cost more than any other mod, and give a return of virtually zero. My 'bling' is provided by my custom tips, generously provided by mschmidt, reviewed separately. Total cost of this satisfying situation? Under $2.00. :)

I too have the Hawgzaust and like it but also found a ton of corrosion on the stock pipes recently during a swaybar install. I am considering the X02 system as a great way to get good corrosion resistance and sound for a reasonable price....probably less than having the stock cans replaced. But all this talk about the sound makes me think I should try to get a ride in one to make sure I don't blow my money on something I won't like as much as what I have for free.

Effin...where you at in NJ...maybe I can meet up with you one night to hear what this sounds like? Also does this version have the resonator?

Im in central nj, about 50 mi from Vernon.

Guys..I ran hogzawst too. I even came up with the concept of cutting the gaskets to keep the sound waves from beating against the body pan. It didn't sound bad, but hose magaflows had the best mellow low tone sound of anything Ive run...

Im in central nj, about 50 mi from Vernon.

Guys..I ran hogzawst too. I even came up with the concept of cutting the gaskets to keep the sound waves from beating against the body pan. It didn't sound bad, but hose magaflows had the best mellow low tone sound of anything Ive run...

Well I work in West Caldwell so maybe one night I could meet up with you to get a listen. Just not sure if you're dissapointed because it doesn't sound as good or it just doesn't sound good???? Oh, is this the one with the resonator?

Archived