LegacyGT.com

Help - LGT Spring Install

KGreb

I'm trying to put a set of STi pinks on my LGT. I just can't seem to break the lower rear shock bolt loose. Doused these in PB Blaster, tried an impact wrench, 2 ft breaker bar, getting nowhere. May try to heat the nut with a small propane torch next. Any suggetions?

Subaru uses a zinc coating on the bolts to keep them from coming loose. So they're torqued to spec, but that mineral version of Loctite can be a pain. I've also found that impact wrench quality matters. Back when I was futzing with my WRX's suspension, I had a Campbell-Hausfeld impact that was rated to 300 lb-ft. The lower hub bolts on the strut just laughed at it. Then I got an Ingersoll-Rand, rated at not much higher torque, 350 lb-ft, and the bolt came off like it had been greased. Kevin

I have one of these and there has been no bolt too stuck yet. [url="http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=370269&R=370269"]http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=370269&R=370269[/url]

[quote name='rao']A light tap with a hammer can sometimes do the trick. Kevin, bring your fancy pants impact over and let's have a compare :D[/QUOTE] If you call a 20 lbs hammer "light" then yea, you can use a "light" tap with that. I managed to crack those bolts with a 2' breaker bar and about 75% of my body weight on the bar (so that about 100 lbs).. The bolt is spec'd out at 150 lbs. of torque.. the bolt is mated with a locking-nut, so whatever was already mentioned above is correct about the bolt type.. besides, you are relying on that one bolt to hold your suspension unlike the front end. Keefe
Keefe

Archived