LegacyGT.com

Official 1/4 Mile Time List Discussion Thread

rao

cause iceing your IC for fastest times at the dragstrip is alot similar to setting up an entire system that stays on the car, all the time.

Your front tires pull just as much water onto the line. What about the idiots that drive their AWD straight through the water box and do a "burnout". No one yells at those asshats.

Back when I was stock. I was pulling 14.7's all night. Then I dumped some ice on my IC.

14.01 I think the ice is worth it. Especially if you want to have fun at the strip and don't care about max performance on the street.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your front tires pull just as much water onto the line. What about the idiots that drive their AWD straight through the water box and do a "burnout". No one yells at those asshats.

Anybody who drives through the water box doesn't know what they are doing and shouldn't be at the track in the first place. Also, people not only yell at those asshats, but they threaten them as well.

Also, nothing is better than people claiming their great times that have no relationship to what the car actually can do.

Also, nothing is better than people claiming their great times that have no relationship to what the car actually can do.

yeah, your'e right. My average for runs without ice was in the upper 14's, then with ice it was in the low 14's. Must be complete garbage numbers. The ice was a plecebo.

All hail RAO! Master of all things internet.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I believe that you said driving around dumping bags of ice on your intercooler was not practical :confused:

Thanks for the compliment :wub: but it is a little broad.

I did remember one thing that is more annoying than bogus claims about a car's performance - using made up altitude correction numbers :lol:

yeah, your'e right. My average for runs without ice was in the upper 14's, then with ice it was in the low 14's. Must be complete garbage numbers. The ice was a plecebo.

All hail RAO! Master of all things internet.

I think you need some new parts if there is THAT much of a difference.

I have dragraced in 3 different states, SC, GA, and OH. Probably over a few hundred times down the track with the same car, same setup, with multiple hotlapping at times. With my Perrin TMIC my fastest run ever was in 90 degree weather in SC. I personally have not seen anymore than a .1 difference in 1/4 times whether heatsoaked or not with my car. Whether it was 45 degrees or 90 degrees. If my times had anymore of a time difference compared to eachother it was because the driver (me in this case) didnt drive as well.

I have heard so many people complain about heatsoak, but I personally have never seen anywhere near as much as other people supposedly claim.

I iced down my TMIC last time I went to the dragstrip. I got around 10 runs in and only had ice on half of them and my times weren't any better with ice on the TMIC.

I almost always drive to the hoses after the turn-around and spray down my TMIC, turbo heat shield, and DP. Who knows... that might be a waste of time too.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

^^^ You have to take the ice our of the bag. :lol:

Oh. I figured the bag helped by melting plastic onto the TMIC and effectively adding cooling fins. Dammit.. I even read the instructions on the bag and it didn't say to take the ice out.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I almost always drive to the hoses after the turn-around and spray down my TMIC, turbo heat shield, and DP. Who knows... that might be a waste of time too.

IC cold, everything else you want hot. That's why people wrap their exhausts in heat wrap and use turbo blankets.

I'm not gonna sit here and argue about stuff that is proven. The colder the IC, the more power you can make. To get the IC the coldest, you need to have melting ice directly on it.

I try to make two simple, valid points and some people just have to pick their thong out of their ass.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 1 month later...

So I've gotten my bone stock LGT out to the drag strip a couple time since I got it six months ago. This is my first manual car, and the first time out, a month after buying it, I got a 15.2 @ 89 mph with a 2.09 60 ft. I was ok with it, I was still worrying about stalling my car on hills at that point, let alone bangin gears down the drag strip.

Then I went out at the end of January, still stock, except for 17x8 wheels and 215/45 superbald Yokohama es100s. My best run of the night:

60ft- 2.086

1/8- 9.516 @ 72.75

1/4- 14.867 @ 92.21

Then, the next run was shaping up to be even better, maybe a 14.6~? I was up over a tenth of a second and one mph in the eighth, but I missed fourth and just coasted through the traps.

60ft- 2.103

1/8- 9.397 @ 73.78

1/4- 15.153 @ 75.44

My tires were so done I was spinning most of the way through first, which might contribute to the horrid 60 foots. That or I just can't figure out how to launch this damn car. I hope I'll make it to the drag strip this friday with my new 245/40 S-drives and see what happens.

These runs were done at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway drag strip. It's about 2100' above sea level.

• 3 months later...

Flamesuit: First attempt at Drag :lol:

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd

89k miles

weight: 3615 lbs at about 5/8 tank

Power Mods:

40BB Turbo

DW 650cc Injectors

Catless UP/DP

GRreddy Evo2 Exhaust

TurboXS Utec Tune (All Aspects, Chesapeake, VA)

WBR FMIC

WBR CAI

Suspension Mods:

Rota 18x8 +48 Tarmac 2 Rims

Continental All Season Tires (yes, I know ****ty....)

Stance GR+ Coilovers 3 setting on front, 5 setting on rear

COBB Front and Rear Sway Bars

STi FSTB

SPT Front Chassis Brace

Runs:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/madcatz1417/dragjuly162010.png

Not looking for flack, but will take notes. I dont have launch control, but dont plan on racing at the drag strip...this was just for fun.

video of the 15.05 pass, GF didnt get the 14.8 pass on film: also dont mind the first race....she filmed them, then my slllloooow run compared to those guys

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/madcatz1417/th_M4H00558.jpg

Pass 5 I tried to launch and well it didnt work out too well as I am now replacing my clutch......go me :(

Edited by madcatz

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.

Are you sure your clutch wasn't gone before you went to the track? 2.5 60' would basically be easing off the line and rolling on the throttle. With a decent holding clutch you should easily be able to cut 2.0 or lower 60' times. My bigger concern, however is that your car is WAY down on power. 98-99mph trap speeds indicate just a little better than stock power. I would scrap that UTEC as soon as possible and go with a tuning solution that utilizes a reflash of the ECU. Piggybacks are okay when there isn't another option. That turbo should be capable of at least another 5mph at the end of the quarter mile.

WTF happened here? Whoa...
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Unless your clutch was slipping the whole way down the track or you are an extremely slow shifter, the only thing accounting for the ultra-low trap speeds is the car running low on power relative to the mods.

I don't think I'm making the power i should be.

I don't think I'm slow at shifting at all.

When dyno'd I made 261/281 but I don't think the clutch is good nor my engine. Compression test is in my future too.

-Travis

Rob (rao) you're a fine gentleman, thanks I guess.