LegacyGT.com

Dealer screwing me over on an '08?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eeek .. but I am not sure we want her to learn how to drive stick in a new leggy :) We all know how they don't like to be abused (of course, I am approaching 60k) but I agree ... stick is the way to go ...

I agree 100%. Last time we tried, I got into first gear on the second try. The neighbor had alot of kids out, so we had to stop

you should go to FAU and learn on the old runway-- thats where everyone learns

to drive

Contact as many dealers as you possibly can for quotes.

Call them, email them, write them. Use a homing pigeon if you have to in order to request quotes on EXACTLY what you want. Like other members have said, do not be afraid to tell them "no". Using multiple quotes as leverage is a good thing.

Do the Edmunds thing. Even if you had to drive more than hour or two to get to a dealer ship, if that saves you $2000~$4000, well worth it. Don't you think. I would even consider going out of the state depending on price difference.

I live in LA and I drove to a dealer 1 hour way to get my car. Because their price was by far the best.

They are totallying doing the switch and bait, screw the young female buyer thing.

Also, stay away from dealers who refuse to give you quote over the internet and try to get you to come it. They are just banking on ripping you off using good old sales techniques.

Here are some rules on negotiating prices (not just cars):

Never tell them how much you are willing to pay.

Never let them tell you the "deal" is only good for that moment.

Never tell them you will buy the item if a certain price point can be met.

Never tell them you agree to the price until they give you the price as actual offer (none of "before I take this deal to my manager, I need to know that you will buy this car if I can convince him to give you the Deal" BS)

Be willing to walk away no matter how far you've traveled to the dealership. (make them think this is the "one chance" for them to sell you a car, not one chance for you to get a good deal from the dealer.)

Do walk away at least once.

Any add-ons they want to make you buy after you agree on the price..tell them they should included in the agreed price if they think you really need it.

Everything is negotiable including price of extended warrenty. There are no set price, this isn't a department store.

It never hurts to ask for more. (If they give you the price you want to pay..just ask if they'll take another $500 off or throw in extended warrenty..the worst that can happen is they say no.)

Be willing to spend hours at the dealer. The more time you spend..more time they invested in making the deal.

Treat your trade in as a complete separate deal from your car. (You are selling the car to them, not trading it in.)

Never negotiate your monthly payment. Negotiate the price of your car.

lol. Yeah. that's what I meant...

Bait and switch is when they lure you in with a good deal and then once you are emotinally commited to buying a car, they jack-up the price saying "there was a mistake in the price" or "that particular car with the deal is no longer avaiblable but we have this other more expensive car."

There's a lot of Mind Games that comes into play when negotiating a large ticket items... Bait and Switch is one of the easier one to spot.

Van Bortel Subaru prices their 07s at invoice (then take off a further 1250 or so in incentives) . Their 08 prices are currently invoice plus $400 (no incentives of course). Their website will build you a car using these prices. Use it alongside other aforementioned tips to help with your negotiations! (

Vanbortelsubaru.com

Legacy GT Limited Sedan w/ GPS & VDC Base Invoice Price: $29830

Destination: $645 Optional Features: Retail: $0 Van Bortel Installed: $0 Port Installed: $0 Total Vehicle Cost: Retail: $32,440 Van Bortel Installed: $30,475

Edit: a sales rep told me pricing was 400 over INVoice, but that was several weeks ago, before their website was updated to include 2008s. No markup now, it seems (above).

I just want to thank everyone for all of your help. I am now officially the only 2008 LGT owner in South Florida!!! I will post pictures either monday or tuesday and tell you how much and everything. I couldn't have done it without Graysonsubaru!!

Archived