LegacyGT.com

Ways to improve gas mileage

so, what are some of you guys doing to help your mileage on your leg outbacks?

I know the obvious ones :D

Make sure tires are at proper pressure

make sure air filter is clean

what else do you outback guys do?

Shane

wow, i have been here for about a year and half and this is my first post :D man i am a lurker :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so, what are some of you guys doing to help your mileage on your leg outbacks?

I know the obvious ones :D

Make sure tires are at proper pressure

make sure air filter is clean

what else do you outback guys do?

Shane

wow, i have been here for about a year and half and this is my first post :D man i am a lurker :D

Push

Only go downhill

Don't put fat bastards in the car

Use JC Whitney's magnetic magical gas mileage enhancer over the fuel line

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

wile yes those will work (not the jc whitney one :D ) not quite what i was looking for :D

has anybody tried changing the aerodynamics of there cars? I know i put on STI under spoilers on my car (wrx wagon) and that seemed to net me some more mileage.

anybody experiment?

Shane

I heard that the JC Whitney magnetic magical gas mileage enhancer gives you an extra 1 or 2 ponies.

I have one of those. Was on the fuel line when I bought the car. Ive gotten as high as 32 on the hwy, but I attribute that more to advanced air filtration. Nevertheless, I think Ill live the magnetic thingy be.

i love when this comes up....

reduce the throttle "sensitivity" so you're not at 60% throttle when barely pressing the pedal

and this also in effect reduces throttle tip-in fuel enrichment which dumps fuel whenever the throttle blade opens more than as little as 3%

and reducing actual tip-in enrichment/multiplers slightly.

I have one of those. Was on the fuel line when I bought the car. Ive gotten as high as 32 on the hwy, but I attribute that more to advanced air filtration. Nevertheless, I think Ill live the magnetic thingy be.

which "advanced air filtration" do you have?

which "advanced air filtration" do you have?

I have a Weapon-R cone filter, but I used to have a K & N panel filter which I actually saw better gas mileage with. These allow more air to flow through than your typical paper filter, but some question how affective they are after you re-oil them at 100,000 miles.

drive with your windows close (reduces air drag)

don't use A/C unless it's really hot...just use the fan whenever possible with windows close

get a tint to keep interior cooler (although that'd cost more up front)

be gentle when accelerating from a stop

keep a consistent speed

just common sense...

drive with your windows close (reduces air drag)

don't use A/C unless it's really hot...just use the fan whenever possible with windows close

get a tint to keep interior cooler (although that'd cost more up front)

be gentle when accelerating from a stop

keep a consistent speed

just common sense...

i read an article on edmunds that windows up and a/c make no difference. they tested an suv and a car (forget what) and found no differences in gas milage with a/c on/off or windows up/down.

i read an article on edmunds that windows up and a/c make no difference. they tested an suv and a car (forget what) and found no differences in gas milage with a/c on/off or windows up/down.

no kidding? i might believe the window up/down part, it might not make a big difference but from a physics standpoint, having windows close does reduce air drag. however, using a/c doesn't hurt gas mileage? :confused:

you have a link?

Will this affect reliability / durability any?

Got a guide on how to do this? :D

i love when this comes up....

reduce the throttle "sensitivity" so you're not at 60% throttle when barely pressing the pedal

and this also in effect reduces throttle tip-in fuel enrichment which dumps fuel whenever the throttle blade opens more than as little as 3%

and reducing actual tip-in enrichment/multiplers slightly.

Will this affect reliability / durability any?

Got a guide on how to do this? :D

actually you will increase durability as the car drives dog slow unless you mash the pedal.....

***high risk***

www.enginuity.org

or pay $700 for an AP then pay another $300 for someone to tune your car.... which is MUCH MUCH safer than do-it-yourself.....

actually... it does. but at certain speeds

45 mph and below = better mileage with windows down

50 mp and up = better mileage with windows up and a/c on

tested by mythbusters last season. with ford expeditions. :cool:

Archived