LegacyGT.com

Proof of past maint. re: warranty??

Gmoe

After seeing a few threads regarding warranty coverage problems, I'm a bit concerned.

Bought the car used two months ago. 30k on the odometer. I plan to have all regular maint. done at a dealer until the power train warranty is up to avoid having to prove it was done if something comes up. I want to be prepared in the event that something does go wrong so there is NO question that it will be covered.

My question is how can I prove any maintenance previous to me owning the car? Should I have asked for proof of every oil change etc. previous to my ownership before buying???? Clearly, I didn't. I was told simply, "The car is still under warranty until blah blah....." Not "It's under warranty IF you can prove this or that."

So let's say I go back to the dealer and ask for it. I think it's safe to assume it was done at the dealer I purchased from as the previous owner was a salesman there. But what if they don't have proof?? Wouldn't that essentially void my warranty before I would ever even try to use it?

I think I'm going to call the dealer and see what can be dug up. Any thoughts, suggestions, experiecences?

They have a global system where you can see what has been done to the car by almost every Subaru dealer, they should be able to print it out for you.

Not true...the Nationwide system SOA uses only shows warranty claims, not routine maintenance.

Don't worry about that. As long as you have made an effort to maintain the vehicle they will honor the warranty. You have no control over what the previous owner had done.

Like I said, as long as you can prove you have made done proper maint.

Don't worry about that. As long as you have made an effort to maintain the vehicle they will honor the warranty. You have no control over what the previous owner had done.

Like I said, as long as you can prove you have made done proper maint.

What are you basing this on? If a dealer sells a used car that didn't have proper maintenance, I don't think there is much stopping SOA from refusing to honor ITS warranty. SOA and the dealer are not the same thing. You really trust a used car salesman who says "oh sure, the warranty is valid"?

Haven't we read horror stories here about SOA refusing warranty work on such used cars with unproven maintenance before the used sale?

^ Totally agreed. While I trust the dealership I bought from I'm honestly not interested in relying on the honor system when it comes to this. I want there to be NO doubt of coverage. And it seems only proof of ALL maintenance provides that.

The way I see it is the dealer has no right selling me a car "with a warranty" without providing the requirements of the warranty themselves. My fault for not asking, but it honestly never crossed my mind until I've read some of the recent horror stories with GT turbos, motors etc. going prematurely and owners having to wrestle to be covered.

I have an email in with the dealer to try and get this info. The car was owned by one of the salesmen who works there so I'm sure it was serviced there. We'll see if they respond or if I have to escalate. This is Van Bortel in Roch. so I'm confident they will make it right. I'm just preparing for the worst in case it happens.

^ Totally agreed. While I trust the dealership I bought from I'm honestly not interested in relying on the honor system when it comes to this. I want there to be NO doubt of coverage. And it seems only proof of ALL maintenance provides that.

The way I see it is the dealer has no right selling me a car "with a warranty" without providing the requirements of the warranty themselves. My fault for not asking, but it honestly never crossed my mind until I've read some of the recent horror stories with GT turbos, motors etc. going prematurely and owners having to wrestle to be covered.

I have an email in with the dealer to try and get this info. The car was owned by one of the salesmen who works there so I'm sure it was serviced there. We'll see if they respond or if I have to escalate. This is Van Bortel in Roch. so I'm confident they will make it right. I'm just preparing for the worst in case it happens.

I am the service manager at a Dodge, Chrysler, Subaru store. Chrysler picks up sludged engines all the time if it's second owner. (if the new owner shows he/she has maintained the car.) Believe me, Chrysler's warranty cash is tighter that a bullfrog's ass! (thats water tight my friend:lol: ) They will pay. Alot of this weighs on how your dealer is also. It pays to have a good relationship with a dealer service dept. you can trust.

My suggestion; Call SOA and get a finite answer. Good luck with the car!

Archived