LegacyGT.com

How much money to you plan to spend on modifications?

How much money to you plan to spend on modifications?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How much money to you plan to spend on modifications?

So how much money do you guys plan to put into your Legacys as far as modifications? I myself prefer nice, stealthy, stock "looking" and stock "sounding" cars. So even though I do appreciate nice and clean looking fixed up cars, I generally would never do it myself nor could I justify the significant expense. My mentality is generally, "[i]if it doesn't make me go faster then I don't need it.[/i]" I'm planning to get a 2.5GT/auto eventually, and I "think" it should be able to do low/mid-14's stock @ 94 mph or so (will post up some detailed analysis to back this up later), but I'd like to have something that will crack 13's and still be stock looking and stock sounding (and auto) and I think that should be possible. Hopefully Cobb or Vishnu will release an aftermarket ECU program. I think that's all I'd need while keeping everything else stock, and that should come in at less than $1000 easily. So that's me. What about you guys? Steve

I won't know until I have owned it for awhile. I definitely won't do any power mods until the warranty is over. I likely won't do ANY mods until the warranty is over. As for 1/4 mile times: Given that Car and Driver got 13.8 in the Forester XT - real world low 14's should be easy to achieve. Low 13's should in fact be achievable stock.

[b]Power:[/b] (~$1170 + ?800?) Cobb Accessport- $595 Cobb Catted DP- ~$575 AVO Cat-Back (just heard some cool details on it)- $??? [b]Drivetrain:[/b] (??? - $910 if I add the STi Helical Front LSD) Cobb Shifter & Cusco Shifter Bushings- (if current ones fit, I've got that covered) [b]Suspension:[/b] (~$770) Cusco Adj Rear Sway- ~$170 STi/Cusco Rear Strut Tower- <$200 STi Sport Springs- ~$400 [b]Brakes:[/b] (~$415) Stoptech Brake Lines- ~$215 Carbotech Bobcat Pads- ~$200 So I guess I'm in the $2000-5000 range. EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot wheels/tire. Pirelli PZero Nero M&S 215/45R-17's on stock wheels for fall-spring, some 17x7.5 or 18x7.5" for summer in 'BRONZE' :D with 225 probably Kumho ECSTA MX or BFG G-force KDW 2's.

lighter wheels SSR Comp. and better tires (summer only - keep stock for winter) STI lip spoiler if available (love the look of it should also be functional) reflash or accessport something for suspension - depends on what available wheels and STI parts would next sprint, all other after waranty.

In no particular order or timeframe, does that help. Probably won't have much in mods for the first year or two beyond new tires (I'll make sure to burn up the crappy RE92's by fall) and Accessport for it's ability of new security features, and smother maps.

Didn't we learn that the RE92's (17") are actually a Z-rated tire or something like that? I remember reading a while back something to that effect.. I will check it out now. I figured you weren't going to do all that in one shot :lol:

[url]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE92[/url] 215/45-17 ZR :o Here is the direct link.. still doesn't mean they are great tires by ANY stretch.. just better than their 16" counterpart. [url]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE92&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=145ZR7RE92&fromCompare1=yes[/url]

No stereo system upgrades?? I'll plan on upgrading the components, maybe get one good 8" or 10" subwoofer (I don't need to make car alarms go off). Tint, then coilovers, rims, tires (PZero Nero M/S!). Gauges, intake, exhaust, blowoff valve, ECU. That's all I'll need. Well maybe add some suspension upgrades like braces and what not. And minor interior like pedals/shift knob.
-ben

FWIW, strut tower braces are voodoo. If you're tracking the car, get a roll cage. For a street-driven, or even autocrossed car, strut braces, particularly the front one, are pointless. Yes, I have tried them. Sorry for the off-topic excursion, but consider it my public service...freeing up mod money for other parts of your cars. :lol: Kevin

Lighter wheels and good set of tires will be first for me too. Then move my way up with SS brake lines, pads, coilovers, sway bars. But I agree that we shouldn't do much to it in the first 9-12 months and just look for bugs and really get a feel for what the stock car can do. I don't think the engine will need much work at first. I generally go with the idea of weight reductions (within reason) and suspension work to get more power on the road before engine work. Bryan

They definitely ARE RE-92s, but the designation RE-92 covers a wide number of tires. In this case it is a Z rated higher performance (supposedly) tire than the much maligned rubber on the Impreza and WRX.

IIRC it's like an RE92'A' big whoop. Kevin, as per Strut Tower Bars, I know on my BD sedan they made a night/day difference, but that was a less rigid chassis. I'm still told, for WAGONS anyhow ;) that a rear STB actually is a decent addition, even in the case of the fairly rigid new age Impreza Wagons. The front ones are supposed just show as you noted. My reasons for my mods: Cobb Stage 2 to give me all the power I will likely desire and still keep the car fairly reliable and environmentally friendly (should peak just a tad north of STi numbers) without the need to upgrade major components like turbos, fuel system, and those kinds of things while providing several security, fuel efficient, and power level options. The drivetrain should be rather good in itself and very streetworthy, I'd just be looking for a little better shifting action. The suspension should also be pretty decent, but I just want to make it a little more compliant to my desire, taking away what I feel is any negative traits, and making it feel a bit more compliant. The brakes shouldn't have any issues, but I like the safety of properly installed stainless steel brake lines (much less chance of a line blowing or rupturing due to debris or chaffing) and better pad tendencies like heat range and better pad bite but keeping OE dusting and noise levels. The current setup shouldn't really have much of an issue with fade though as the size is really good. Tires, well I haven't been much of a fan of RE-92's from day 2 when I learned how much better similarly/lesser priced tires can perform. Those Pirelli's are the best value right now. When $$$ permits I'd like to pick up a nice set of 18x7.5" or maybe 17x7.5" bronze wheels a little for show, and something just nice for summer. BOV's, Intakes, and all that other sound/show crap can get thrown under the table. It's all about go over show in my book.

[quote name='SUBE555']Kevin, as per Strut Tower Bars, I know on my BD sedan they made a night/day difference, but that was a less rigid chassis. I'm still told, for WAGONS anyhow ;) that a rear STB actually is a decent addition, even in the case of the fairly rigid new age Impreza Wagons. The front ones are supposed just show as you noted.[/quote] Nope. I tried a Whiteline rear bar on my WRX wagon. No difference. If you think about it for a second, the torsional forces necessary to twist an already stiff car (the Legacy will be even stiffer) to a degree sufficient to necessitate a strut tower bar, means that that strut tower bar, attached with nuts at 15 lb-ft of torque, ain't gonna keep that car from flexing. No way. Anybody who claims to feel a difference in a strut tower bar is feeling the void in their checking account. But as I said in another forum, if you want to feel the difference, and that difference matters to you, that's fine. Nobody can tell anyone any different. The value of confidence is often worth something that might, on paper, be a placebo. What was interesting with the WRX brake lines, was that they were wrapped in this very hard plastic, to stiffen the lines. Had I known that before buying Goodridge lines, I wouldn't have. :lol: The STi braided stainless clutch line that I put in made a bigger difference than the stainless brake lines, frankly. I expect the Legacy to be very well sorted. I think that Subaru learned a lot from the WRX and the mods people did, as well as the STi. I'm fairly confident in the contention that for my needs, all I'll need to do is lay in a set of 215-45-17 Nokian WRs for the stock wheels. We'll see soon... Kevin

I definitely don't intend to be the leader of the pack when it comes to performance mods. So I'll be reading the various forums with great interest observing what other people are doing, with an eye towards a mix of engine longevity, 'bang for yer buck' and ease of install. Beyond that it will be the usual things.. [b]Springs[/b] [b]Prodrive P1 rims[/b] - from my rex. [b]Upgraded stereo[/b] - it dosen't need to compete with the space shuttle on decibel readings, just want it to be nice and crisp. [b]External mods[/b] - to pretty it up, with the aim of trying to make it look as much like a JDM spec B as I can. Although swapping the front bumper would have insurance implications which I'm not sure I'm willing to risk. [b]DVD/Navigation system[/b] - this one is a maybe. I don't know if it's been done yet, but surely it's only a matter of time before a third party system will also have gauge displays for boost, oil temp etc; ala R34 Godzilla? [b]HIDs[/b] - another maybe, depending on how the stock projectors look. I also live in California so aftermarket is not legal, but so many people seem to do it.

One thing about the OB tires is that it's a little harder to find the good ones last time I looked. Just not as much a performance tire at that size. That was one thing I was less than impressed with when I drove both XT's (5MT and 4EAT for comparison) being the tires for the most part, they weren't very confidance inspiring going around a big highway sweeper at 70 (my car on 205/55R-16 CEC's felt much more compliant at 80) and I could tell it really felt like it was the tires.

What size tire does the OB have? 225/55-17? I suppose that can change though. If you wanted a true performance tire then you can find it.. I do agree with you that they aren't falling off trees or anything. Couldn't you switch to a different size though?

Archived