LegacyGT.com

Does Subaru have any paint guarantee or warranty?

I have an '05 LGT, it was purchased new in September 05 from Subaru and has an extended warranty (I bought it when the car was a year old) and has 45k miles on it now. The paint is bubbling on my rear truck decklid, right near the license plate bracket. Any chance they'll replace my decklid?

I'm sure they will just repaint it. And you won't be able to convince them to re-paint the whole car to match either....

If you do, tell us and I'll fly you out here to do my negotiating!

Sedan or wagon?

Above the license plate lights, or closer to the plate?

If it is a sedan, and it is near the license plate, perhaps they can just repaint the plastic trim piece that covers the back of the trunk lid (from the license plate lights down) Above that, it is part of the steel trunk lid itself.

If it is the plastic piece, you might be able to get them to re-paint just that, and off the car, to avoid over-spray. They might possibly replace that piece, if it comes pre-painted. If it doesn't come pre-painted, then the labor is a wash, and you might as well have the original part fixed.

if it is a wagon, it is the other way around. The bottom part of the tail gate is the metal structure of the tailgate, and above the license plate lights is a plastic trim panel, up to the rear window.

I have the same problem from a respray Subaru bodyshop did after I got hit. The paint has small pits, bubbles and craters all over the bumper and near the license plate and reverse lights on my wagon. I am taking it back :( I think they messed up on the plastic painting. I'm guessing that maybe out gassing on the plastic pieces caused it during cure time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived