LegacyGT.com

Annoying Hum from Rear (55mph+)

I started hearing an annoying hum from what I believe is the right rear of the car. Only noticeable above 55mph ... accelerate up to 100mph :lol: and it gets louder. The car drives good, it's just that sound is getting on my nerves ... dropped my friend off last night and his comment was "why's your car sound like it's powered by an outboard motor?"

When I took it into the Dealer, of course they couldn't "duplicate" and noted "it's your tires ... " B.S. Any clues? Could this be the infamous wheel bearing? Thanks!

+1 on the wheel bearing.

Been there, done that.

If you can somehow (either you and your buddies or a reputable shop) lift your vehicle off of all fours and put it in drive and allow it to idle, you should be able to hear the offending bearing.

The passenger side rear bearing went out on my LGT as well and my preferred mechanic diagnosed it as such.

As a side note, the same mechanic replaced the bearing with genuine Subaru components and I was able to get the cost of parts and labor reimbursed by SOA. SOA has a clause in their warranty that if the nearest Subaru dealership is greater than 70-80 miles from you, then you can take your vehicle to a local automotive repair facility and they will reimburse you if you provide SOA with a sales receipt and defective component(s) as well as a letter clarifying your reasons as to why said vehicle was repaired at a non-Subaru facility.

I just wanted to throw my experience out there just in case you fall under the same, or if anyone else for that matter.

• 1 month later...

I have this now too:mad:. I hear it over 40mph.

Can this be a DIY job? what am I looking at to have the dealer take care of it?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Wheel bearings are covered to 60k...are you over that?

I know I have to bring mine in for one now too.

68k! what luck huh:mad:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

price on hub bearing assy around $125 msrp, very common replacement in our area.

is this a job one can do on their own or best left to a mechanic?

yeah, think I"ll do that

Double check me on this, you should have the hub & bearing assy that just taps off, after bolt removal. It will sometimes stick to the backing plate, but basic r&r is pretty straight up. showing the pn 28473AG00B for the car. If your buying the part anyway, take it home & ck it out - no worse off for taking a quick look.

thanks. will do.

i've had both the front and rear driver's side bearing and hub replaced now.

why?

because they were bad. why else would they be replaced under warranty?? :lol:

duh,:redface: just re-read your post. thought you were telling me to replace all of them:lol:.

gonna do it myself. buddy down the street is quite familiar with this job

Archived