LegacyGT.com

just headers on a NA

bjmsdrum00

has anyone installed headers on their NA?? i'm wondering what the gains would be (i have an 05, so no factory headers). since we already have dual exhaust, which is a bit of an overkill, it seems like the headers would help and you wouldn't even need anything else in the exhuast department. plus, it should add a little more rumble, but keep the exhaust relatively quiet with the stock exhaust. . . .

anyone??

yea, i saw that thread before. i was really wondering how ya'll think it would work on an all stock '05 2.5i. just and intake and headers (and probably a pulley). no exhaust cause we already got duals on a 4cyl engine lol

I meant as far as the two PZEV ones. I think the PZEV trades a few ponies for less emissions and that trade is done in the ECU, not extra catalytics converters or different engine parts. So putting an exhaust on the PZEV might not do much cause the ECU is trying for less emissions and not adding as much timming as it can.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I meant as far as the two PZEV ones. I think the PZEV trades a few ponies for less emissions and that trade is done in the ECU, not extra catalytics converters or different engine parts. So putting an exhaust on the PZEV might not do much cause the ECU is trying for less emissions and not adding as much timming as it can.

Actually, the engines are almost completely different, and it's not merely tuning. There is a difference in the entire exhaust system, even fwd of the cats.

All that just to sell to silly CA. I often wonder if CA is making all these rules and regulations in preparation for falling off into the ocean and becoming it's own country.

side note: 4000 posts...woot woot!!

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Actually, the engines are almost completely different, and it's not merely tuning. There is a difference in the entire exhaust system, even fwd of the cats.

Are you sure? Proof?

CA may have been the 1st but there are about 10 states with same rules.

ask, which states have the most populations and therefore the most potential customers? CA and NY. Just plain business. If you want to sell in all 50 states, you have to meet the most stringent rules too.

Never seen anyone dyno a pzev ( what's the point!) but the blocks are the same. the head section varies in the exhaust area and the intake has varied also.

Definitely different programming. But worry not, I think around 2010 or so,the same rules will apply to all 50!

O.

Are you sure? Proof?

Too lazy right now, but find one of the many discussions in the N/A powertrain forum. Headers are being discussed in like 4 different threads:). Specifically, look for user "kastomajen" or something like that.:p

The duals only start after all the catalytic converters and resonators. A full exhaust would be beneficial.

so does anyone make a "headers back" exhaust, where i could just keep the stock duals on the back? what pipes would that replace, just a strait through midpipe and high flow cat? cause i don't want the exhaust any louder, the intake and headers will make enough noise and give it a better tone IMHO

On a 4 cyl there probly isn't enough backpressure to run dual exhausts from the header back. You mihgt end up running like complete crap

yea, i know. unless you were running like a dual 1.5" exaust or somehtin : ) but, do ya'll know if anyone sells a "midpipe" (i guess) that'll go from the headers to the splitter, or would i most likely have to get a custom one made

CDN 2.5i, let us know how the e-bay replicas work out!!!!

Hey guys I am new here but have been working on the header dilema as I have a set of borlas and a random tech super cat that I was chomping at the bit to install until I ordered header gaskets for my 05 and quikly realized that these are no longer dual port heads...

That being said I am not so sure that any performance gain would be realized by utilizing dual port headers due to flow restrictions caused by seperation in the runners, and perhaps with these cars only two tubes will be used when headers are finally offered...

I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this matter

Dave

daver192,

I'm very confused on the fact that Subaru offered 2 types of Engine: PZEV and non PZEV

and from what i read, there're issues with engine modding on PZEV. I'm still very confused tho :lol:

i believe that the PZEV engines (the ones with the crazy emission requirements, like the ones sold in cali) are single port, and the regular engines, the non PZEV are dual port. so i'm guessing that you have the PZEV engine. i may be wrong, but i don't think that they make headers for it. check out some of the earlier posts in this thread, they talk about the PZEV and non PZEV differences

Installed my speedy-racer headers last night - took me a couple hours going slow. Would be much quicker second time round - about an hour at most, including jacking the car up and lowering it after etc...

Took a few minutes to figure out how to get the header to midpipe upper bolt off - required loosening off a heatshield - and a few minutes sorting out that I needed to mount the driver side to the block first as it was easier to clear the motor mount that way. Bottom line, a basic install, none too difficult. Hardest part was getting the header to midpipe bolts loose - they were pretty tight/corroded. Penetrating oil helped :)

Overall, quite happy with the whole thing but I've noticed that I have a rattle - the header is touching a pipe under the motor. I will have to (take it to a muffler shop to) put a dent in the header I think. Not sure what the pipe is for - perhaps an oil line? Attaching a couple of pics. If anyone knows what it is etc, let me know. Thanks.

CIMG0239.JPG.d39cea579a11d2411d16c18d4d9cb24f.JPG

CIMG0241.JPG.633a63f1043b747562837e79b749396e.JPG

CIMG0247.JPG.8fec7fa9cc5c841cd35d93b68399cd2f.JPG

CIMG0248.JPG.f20cd717ea0ec7b75468b0bde02b2892.JPG

yea, i know. unless you were running like a dual 1.5" exaust or somehtin : ) but, do ya'll know if anyone sells a "midpipe" (i guess) that'll go from the headers to the splitter, or would i most likely have to get a custom one made

CDN 2.5i, let us know how the e-bay replicas work out!!!!

Perrin has mid and Y-pipes.

actually it's not the sway bar which is a little higher up - it's the power steering line. had the header pipe heated and tweaked a bit at a muffler shop this AM - will see how they are after a few heat cycles...

Archived