LegacyGT.com

AEM CAI owners, question for yoos

fweasel

go out to garage this morning start the Subie, no codes :confused: what's up with that? is this going to keep going on, if so what's the fix? bosco

I don't have a definitive answer, but its likely moisture getting onto the filter element and then as the turbo begins to suck down the air, moisture gets pulled through, hits the MAF wire, cools it, and fools the MAF into thinking way more air is flowing that actually is.

My problem has nothing to do with injestion of water, hydrolock, or deep puddles as are often the case with "problems" and "CAI" threads. Seeeeeya believes he can see the filter elemtent from in front of the car, exposed to the elements and as a result, built a shield around it in the fender well. I cannot see my filter element and with a number of close inspections have determined its not exposed to direct contact with water from the outside. There are holes in the lower splash shield and a number of other whole where water could/can make its way into the fender well.

I also noticed water stains on the intake pipe itself, likely coming in through the grill and snorkus area, hitting the intake pipe, and then dripping down past the heat shield into the filter portion of the fender well. After driving through heavy rain or even a car wash, I've noticed water pooled on top of the filter, on the rubber face. That's what persuaded me to use Seeeeya's other idea of the inverted funnel slipped over the intake tube, creating an umbrella of sorts for the filter.

Like I said, since installing the funnel, I have not had any more problems, but due to the low number of times it did happen to me, I'm not ready to mark it fixed. If it comes back, I'll likely install one of the stainless filter shields TRS linked to earlier in this thread. It clamps around the intake pipe and shields half of the filter element.

ignore him, he'll go away.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok now i'm pissed, floored the car in 2nd gear pulled hard until about 5000 rpm at full boost (23 psi) then BAM instant loss of power and the dreaded P0103 code. :mad: no joke it's like the car hit a wall it happens so fast. feels exactly like when an engine blows but w/o the sound of parts breaking. i know some feel it's the CAI and if i have to i will go back to the stock intake but in the mean time what is causing this? why the drastic loss of power could the BOV some how be opening and causing this? the code says it's MAF circuit high input what does that mean "high input"? checked under the hood and all connections seem to be in order. car ran great for 8 months now this btw the air temp was appox. 40 today and there is no water anywhere to be found around the CAI intake. thanks bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

it has nothing to do with the BOV... the ECU is cutting spark (or fuel?) to limit the revs as a result of the bogus MAF reading. You're lucky you can hit 5,000 RPM. when I was running in the rain at autobahn, it happened much lower in the rev's.

I don't have a definitive answer, but its likely moisture getting onto the filter element and then as the turbo begins to suck down the air, moisture gets pulled through, hits the MAF wire, cools it, and fools the MAF into thinking way more air is flowing that actually is.

My problem has nothing to do with injestion of water, hydrolock, or deep puddles as are often the case with "problems" and "CAI" threads. Seeeeeya believes he can see the filter elemtent from in front of the car, exposed to the elements and as a result, built a shield around it in the fender well. I cannot see my filter element and with a number of close inspections have determined its not exposed to direct contact with water from the outside. There are holes in the lower splash shield and a number of other whole where water could/can make its way into the fender well.

I also noticed water stains on the intake pipe itself, likely coming in through the grill and snorkus area, hitting the intake pipe, and then dripping down past the heat shield into the filter portion of the fender well. After driving through heavy rain or even a car wash, I've noticed water pooled on top of the filter, on the rubber face. That's what persuaded me to use Seeeeya's other idea of the inverted funnel slipped over the intake tube, creating an umbrella of sorts for the filter.

Like I said, since installing the funnel, I have not had any more problems, but due to the low number of times it did happen to me, I'm not ready to mark it fixed. If it comes back, I'll likely install one of the stainless filter shields TRS linked to earlier in this thread. It clamps around the intake pipe and shields half of the filter element.

It is almost impossible that there is that much variance in the Legacy's build for that view to be only on mine.... I said almost :).

Just now I went down and looked again. At first I could not find what I had talked about. Then I realized that my shield had gotten dirty and was doing its job SHIELDING THE FILTER ELEMENT from direct view from the grill. Just to make sure I got a piece of welding rod and poked it through the opening and sure enough it banged into the shield.

I changed that shield's dimensions and design three times to get to where it protected completely from top, front, and engine side holes. It works.

Although I cannot get a photo all the way through to the shield I took one of the opening I mention at the angle that exposes the filter element.... if you don't have a shield :). To see it you have to have a BRIGHT light, I use a powerful spot LED, to let you see.

Get a rod and poke it through that opening and watch from above your filter. If the rod can touch it so can water, moisture, snow, etc. This is a high pressure area and it will force air/moisture through where ever pressurized air can go. Although this one is obvious, the one from the side opening where the undercover ends may be even worse. My shield protects that as well.

I considered adding a CAI to my "some day" list, but now I'm thinking I should skip it. Last week we had a lot of water and many of the roads where pretty much flooded here in central Connecticut. I really want to keep my car drivable and dependable in all weather conditions.

I was splashing water up above my hood on both sides and I figure that is pretty much guaranteed to foul up a CAI.

what is a "MAF high circuit input", what causes it, why is this just happening now when i didn't happen before, is sub 32 degree air a factor, what if your intake system is dry, how come i drove it all summer in the rain with no issues, etc. i need details :) bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

I hate to see the elderly floundering :lol:

MAF high circuit input means that the MAF voltage goes above 5v. The MAF works by comparing 2 heated wires - one which has intake air passing over it and one that does not. The amount that the wire cools is used to calculate the mass of the air flowing over the wire. If a drop of water hits the exposed wire then it cools off a lot and the reading goes to infinite and the CEL comes on (look for the flashing cruise light also ;) )

Yesterday was basically a flood, so it is not surprising that you had a problem.

I hate to see the elderly floundering :lol:

MAF high circuit input means that the MAF voltage goes above 5v. The MAF works by comparing 2 heated wires - one which has intake air passing over it and one that does not. The amount that the wire cools is used to calculate the mass of the air flowing over the wire. If a drop of water hits the exposed wire then it cools off a lot and the reading goes to infinite and the CEL comes on (look for the flashing cruise light also ;) )

Yesterday was basically a flood, so it is not surprising that you had a problem.

thanks sounds like a similar set-up to what GM uses. will try the splash shield next then. btw wtf "elderly floundering" :lol: the really funny thing about that is you're correct. :redface::lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• 1 month later...
update: found out my problem was caused when i took my car though a Touchless Car Wash a couple of times this winter. it must be the high pressure wash forcing water in places it should not be. i have not used the TCW in over a month and have not had one issue since even when it's raining out there are no problems. floor board the car in any gear boost builds all the way to appox. 23 psi and i'm gone. :lol: runs as hard and as well as ever life is good again. :) your results may vary.
Stay Stock Stay Happy

update: found out my problem was caused when i took my car though a Touchless Car Wash a couple of times this winter. it must be the high pressure wash forcing water in places it should not be. i have not used the TCW in over a month and have not had one issue since even when it's raining out there are no problems. floor board the car in any gear boost builds all the way to appox. 23 psi and i'm gone. :lol: runs as hard and as well as ever life is good again. :) your results may vary.

Jorge told me it was a common occurrence with the WRX platform... carwashes specifically. I haven't had a single issue since I installed the funnel, but I don't use the touchless carwashes so our experiences differ slightly. Either way, good to hear.

Jorge told me it was a common occurrence with the WRX platform... carwashes specifically. I haven't had a single issue since I installed the funnel, but I don't use the touchless carwashes so our experiences differ slightly. Either way, good to hear.

must be that WRX clutch set up and the WRX/STI style hood scoop causing this. :lol:

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• 4 weeks later...

damn...i got hit with it today. I have an aem , pouring rainstorms since yesterday, go out this am and gun it to shoot across the street and there it was... my spirited drving through the puddles yesterday caught up with me today.

odd though, I got the info center message again last night. car is off, and info center repeatedly flashes ACC ERR

then, to top it all off, on the way home this am after the cel, my speedometer quit working

• 10 months later...
so i got a aem cai... havent installed it due to the fact im worried about water, tune, etc... bought a heat shield for it to block water... but still not sure exactly wwhich way u guys are faacing these things?? can someone maybe post a pic from up top so i can actually see which way the shield is facing?? its a little bigger than half i believe... and also i have my car tuned without the cai... 11 a/f at full throttle... would i be ok throwin on the cai?? usin a pos spt and cant wait to take that thing off

Archived