LegacyGT.com

AEM CAI owners, question for yoos

fweasel

I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to report that I, like an idiot, ran right over a water puddle last night and got water in my AEM CAI. It actually caused the engine to start misfiring for about 5-10 minutes....

Needless to say, the check engine light and blinking cruise came on....I pulled the out my AP v2.0 to see if it would read it and clear it, but to no avail. Fortunately, I just pulled over and let it idle for a few minutes, then revved it up a couple of times and then it was just fine. The check engine light and blinking cruise eventually went away later on last night.

Note to self: Stay out of water puddles....

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I live up in WA also and have had quite a few cars with CAI and never gotten it wet enough to throw any kind of code. Side note, I really want the AEM for my car, but have no way of tuning it due to owning an 07', should I just wait on it?

I have an 08GT, and also want the aem cai...so u r saying u can tune it? will the 05 aem even fit our gen?

i drove the car in hawaii with rain almost on a daily basis and no codes...drove the car today in probably the worst rain i have ever been in... and no codes, i was gonna pull the maf to see if there was moisture or water...but i dont have enought lights in my carport

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

I just bought one of these and was going to put it on my car. I am running stage 2 Cobb maps. Is it OK just to bolt on and go or do I need a different tune for this?

Also are some of you guys using different heat shield setups on this than what comes with the intake?

If so can you post pics?

Thanks

I have an AEM and went through some pretty deep puddles this week. No codes.

I went through one intersection very very slowly and the spray from my front wheels was up to the rearview mirror. There was a lowered 300Z in the corner of the intersection (deepest part) stalled. I guess he hydrolocked.

Sample of what's been going on in Seattle.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/12/04/2004053163.jpg

I just bought one of these and was going to put it on my car. I am running stage 2 Cobb maps. Is it OK just to bolt on and go or do I need a different tune for this?

you need a tune for it to be safe at your level of modification.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Which is better AEM CAI or K&N Typhoon if i need a FMIC eventually? I want to see close to 350400whp, do I need a Big MAF intake instead?

I like AEM, had one on my Honda and still have it, would like to get an intake for the LGT and get a tune with it as well with the new Accesport for the 07-08's

you need a tune for it to be safe at your level of modification.

OK Ill just wait to put it on until I get my 40BB and Jorge Tune, and fweasel you are cordially invited to the Tune.

Thanks again fweasel, you are always answering my questions ;)

Although I am ignorant of Turbocharged cars to some degree, I spent most of the other years of my life drag racing a 67 mustang when I was younger, to a 93 Cobra, and then on to 4 wheeling in colorado with a 6.5 inch lifted JEEP cherokee.

Now to the HOT ROD WA-GONE! What a Service vehicle for a Toshiba X-Ray Field Service Engineer. :spin:

A Combo between my Cobra and Cherokee, Fast AND 4 Wheel Drive. :wub:

Which is better AEM CAI or K&N Typhoon if i need a FMIC eventually? I want to see close to 350400whp, do I need a Big MAF intake instead?
three hundred and fifty thousand all wheel horse power is a lot and you'll likely need an intake from a pratt & whitney jet engine.

AEM sits lower in the fender well and has access to cooler air than the K&N which sits in the engine bay. Also, the K&N is louder in the cockpit as a result of its position. You will need to make a decision on your FMIC before you know if the AEM will fit or not with the plumbing.

Here is a pic of mine. It's just a stainless shield that covers half of the filter. I have it on the front half of the filter to block any moisture the might come in from the front when I have the skid plate on. During the summer when I have the skid plate off I turn the shield to cover the side that is exposed to the engine bay.

AEMheatshield.jpg.9e9c25eedd64e1e74af02410e181592c.jpg

Let's kick this pig!

here's my 2 cents...I have had my intake for about a year now and I do notice an CEL throw when extreme downpour is upon me. The first time I noticed was leaving a toll booth it downpour showing my buddy how much faster my leggy was than his but he claerly won while I cried to myself. No biggy though. thankfully the car is smarter than the driver(me). It has happened a few more time since. But only in the extreme rain with metal foot.

here's my 2 cents...I have had my intake foar about a year now and I do notice an CEL throw when extreme downpour is upon me. The first time I noticed was leaving a toll booth it downpour showing my buddy how much faster my leggy was than his but he claerly won while I cried to myself. No biggy though. thankfully the car is smarter than the driver(me). It has happened a few more time since. But only in the extreme rain with metal foot.

Reference my post above and the contained filter shielding:

Yesterday I spent three hours logging my new turbo setup in heavy rain on an interstate hwy. Speeds ranged from too slow to too fast, for the conditions. Conditions were abysmal. Nearby a trucker, going too fast and apparently unable to read the warnings died after failing to negotiate a turn and plunging into the river. It was bad out.

However, my AEM CAI never fails to function correctly, unaffected by such conditions. I don't plan on driving into standing water deep enough to submerge it. But in any condition where 'normal' traffic can operate I have zero problems with my intake. That is because I have eliminated the possibility with the shielding created for that purpose.

Again, get a strong flashlight and get down and shine it at the general area of the filter through the grille opening. You will see your AEM's filter, just waiting for whatever airflow brings it. If it is raining enough, and speeds are enough, the unprotected filter will get wet.

Your choice.

Again, get a strong flashlight and get down and shine it at the general area of the filter through the grille opening. You will see your AEM's filter, just waiting for whatever airflow brings it. If it is raining enough, and speeds are enough, the unprotected filter will get wet.

Its funny, you mentioned that to me way back when in your PM. I cannot see my filter from anywhere outside my car, other than looking directly down the heatsheild in the engine bay. Perhaps a change from 05 to 06.

My problem has never been puddles or standing water, rather, enough moisture in the air from rain or whatever, causing havok on the MAF. I took one of SeeeeeYa's suggestions and put an upside down funnel on the intake pipe, directly over the filter element. Based on water stains on that pipe, it looked like water may have been trickling down from above and onto the filter element. I have not had the rev limit or CEL issue since. I'm not ready to call it case closed as it only happen three time before that, but I do believe its helping things.

I need another monsoon at the track to know for sure!:lol:

• 1 month later...
i knew i shouldn't have read this thread a month or so ago :lol: just last week bang i get the P0103 code cold but not wet the next day get in car no code :confused: now i think it was a fluke no such luck, today bang it happened again the same way accelerate to 5k go to shift and as soon as you let off the gas to shift the car completely falls on it's face instant P0103 code (checked with my AP that the other threads say doesn't work correctly :confused: ) anyway completely checked for moisture and my AEM CAI and the inside of the fender well is as dry as a popcorn fart. thoughts? bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

you are not describing the same conditions as I had originally experienced. My symptoms arose under hard acceleration, right about when the turbo was hitting its stride. You're saying its happening off throttle, during a shift? Either way, when I did experience it, IF a CEL followed, it went away on its own.

FWIW, I haven't experienced the problem again since Rich and I installed the funnel over the top of the filter element. But, that's not what I would call conclusive evidence as it had only happened to me a couple of times previous and none of the situations (weather, temp, standing water, ect) were really all that similar.

you are not describing the same conditions as I had originally experienced. My symptoms arose under hard acceleration, right about when the turbo was hitting its stride. You're saying its happening off throttle, during a shift? Either way, when I did experience it, IF a CEL followed, it went away on its own.

FWIW, I haven't experienced the problem again since Rich and I installed the funnel over the top of the filter element. But, that's not what I would call conclusive evidence as it had only happened to me a couple of times previous and none of the situations (weather, temp, standing water, ect) were really all that similar.

sorry, it happens under hard acceleration full boost at about 5k the car bucks heavily :eek: then i let off thinking i broke something looked down at the dash and noticed the code remember i'm old and this is all happening in a split second :lol: car seems to run fine afterward i'll check it in the morning b/c last time it cleared itself.

bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

okay, that's a little closer. I get it sooner than 5K, but that's likely a matter of what gear we're in, engine load, and the MAF voltage. In all events, the situation has cleared itself up in a day, usually overnight.

If it becomes problematic, TRS is running a Blitz (I think) filter element on his AEM. At the monsoon track day he and I were both running at, I was falling flat on my face in the rain with this issue when the revs got too high but he was fine all day long.

Archived