LegacyGT.com

ran up against a Z-06 saturday......

I was tooling around the OC doing some errands driving up a fairly desolate road when I see comming up in the fast lane a silver vette. I was in third going about 45 mph and before he could get to me I floored it and we both took off and soon shifted to fourth. The subie totally hung with the vette to about a 100 mph and we both backed off. The plate on the vette read "ZEE-06". I think the guy was completely taken by suprise that a little white japanese wagon could hang with him. I'm sure the vette would have started to pull hard on me from 100, but it sure was fun for the short time it lasted! Can't wait to get the access port!!!:D

I have no misconceptions about the vette. It runs the quarter about 10 mph faster than us....but I had about fifty feet on him when I saw him comming. I just happenend to be in the sweet spot of the powerband and believe me....his exhaust note said "WOT". As I said before, if we had continued past 100 I have no doubt he would have pulled me hard. I also know he was "very suprised".

Legacy STi - let's keep the LGT a sleeper for now, we don't want everybody to be diving into the Legacy craze, just like what happened to the WRX, a lot of Honda ricers started buying WRX's for its power and started giving a bad reputation for Subaru owners :)

Okay...Okay....I agree, the LGT stands no chance. My point is that catching the Z off gaurd and running with him to 100 was a blast. The funny part was seeing his face after having a white subie wagon with new dealer plates stay with him. I have no doubt he was wondering what the hell I was driving.

Hey, Leg-STI I support your enthusiasm completely. Yeh, the Z06 could womp the Subie in a 0 to anything run but that's not your point. The Legacy has a fantastic mid-range punch that keeps pace with most anything this side of a red horse badge from Maranello, Italy. On Friday I was "puttering" home at about 75 mph when I noticed a Mustang moving up fast (no, not the new one). The fake hood scoop told me it was a GT but the pipes sounded unique. His approach speed was easily 90 mph. I waited until he past me before I just pushed the right peddle down while remaining in 5th gear. I was on his bumper in only a second or two. That's when I notice the big red "R" about the GT on his rearend. Must be some kind of Ford factory mod version. The road with wide open in front of us. I saw the tale-tell sign of a puff of exhaust smoke when he floored it. I down-shifted to 4th and off to the races! I kid you not. The Legacy pulled hard up next to him and I was 2 car lengths in front before he backed off around 130 mph. The LGT is one helluva fun ride between 90 and 140 mph. All of this took place within less than 1 mile of road so nobody freak out. There was no other cars we passed before we braked down to about 80 mph. The guy in the mustang pulled up next to me at have a big thumb's up with a huge smile on his face. I think he gained all new respect for the Subaru brand and the Legacy in particular.

[quote name='LandShark']That's when I notice the big red "R" about the GT on his rearend. Must be some kind of Ford factory mod version.[/QUOTE] It's not. There's a Mustang GTR concept for 2005 that's just a show queen, and there was the utterly bowel-loosening Cobra R, but no production GTR. It was probably a repro Skyline badge or the big giant R off the Sentra.

Not to be spoiling your fun, but he did take it easy on you.. a Z06 will make you feel like a parking meter if he really wanted to. What may sound like WOT from a Z06 isnt WOT until he's blown past you. Trust me on this one, I have had Z06 pass me on the track, and by no means, you are tied with him.. you'll need a bigger turbo and reworked engine management to keep up with it.. and even if he was WOT, he's probably just 2 gears taller than you.. dont make him think twice about downshifting :p Keefe
Keefe

Does owning a Legacy GT cause the owner to become delusional? It's bad enough equating one with a WRX Sti or 911 or Boxter (yes acceleration is on par, perhaps slightly better than a Boxter). Now we've reached Z06 comparisons. What's next, Viper acceleration and Lotus handling? Sorry, but this isn't the first delusional post I've read. While the Legacy GT is a completely respectable vehicle, some people are allowing their enthusiasm to exceed the bounds of reason and sanity.

Okay...I'm not delusional! Some qualifications, I have some previous experience around Drag Racing. My dad's name is Jerry Moreland. Some of you that follow drag racing may know of him. I've grown up around motor sports all my life. My dad has had everything from factory AFX cars to Diablo VT coupes and Viper GTS's. I have personnally driven most of these cars. I used to road race formula III motorcycles in ARRA at willow springs. I've driven nascars at fontana (40 laps). I had a 125 shifter kart for two years that I ran at perris. I'm not saying by any means that the LGT was faster than the vette! I know and fully reallize the difference between the two cars. If you re-read the post and my follow-ups you'll see that I mentioned catching the vette "off guard". My point is that given the nature of the LGT, you can catch some pretty hot cars off guard and very much suprise them. If only you could have seen the look on this guy's face.....:mad: ......priceless!

[quote name='Legacy STI']Okay...I'm not delusional! I'm not saying by any means that the LGT was faster than the vette! I know and fully reallize the difference between the two cars. If you re-read the post and my follow-ups you'll see that I mentioned catching the vette "off guard". My point is that given the nature of the LGT, you can catch some pretty hot cars off guard and very much suprise them. If only you could have seen the look on this guy's face.....:mad: ......priceless![/QUOTE] [font='Times New Roman']I like racing other cars that don’t know we are racing too. :lol: [/font] [font='Times New Roman'][/font] [font='Times New Roman'][font='Times New Roman']Sorry couldn’t resist. [/font][/font]

Meh, a kill is a kill is a kill. Just like the other day I saw a CRX out gunned an STi. So be proud sir! That Z06 lost to your GT! boo yeah! TO those who says that the z06 is faster, well to that I say... SO WHAT?! In that instance, it got handed by a family car. Everybody claims Mike Tyson will beat the crap out of Buster Douglas, but on that day, Iron Mike got KO-ed. nenner-nenner-nenner..... :D

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='WRX_LGT']Legacy STi - let's keep the LGT a sleeper for now, we don't want everybody to be diving into the Legacy craze, just like what happened to the WRX, a lot of Honda ricers started buying WRX's for its power and started giving a bad reputation for Subaru owners :)[/QUOTE] Didnt you see it happening with the WRX? That car was and proably still is the fastets thing under 30k. subaru also had it way hyped before it came out to it was the real rally car in production in the states, and it was at a time when most "sports cars" had under 200hp, and it was a 4 door and wagon so it was pratical and sporty so kids were loving it. The WRX is a great bang for the buck and it was between the WRX and STI for me untill my friend told me about the legacy gt, then it was over for the other 2. cheeper insurance, more of a sleeper, and way more practical for freequent road trips and snowboarding.

Archived