LegacyGT.com

In search of high-speed stability

Underdog

You got the front and rear LCA's? What is the diff between the GT and Spec B LCA's?

Front Lower Control Arms, Rear Trailing Arms & Upper Links.

The Spec.B components are all forged aluminum, versus steel for the GT. The result is an unsprung weight savings of ~3lb/corner at the front, and an unknown amount at the rear. (The AL trailing arms weigh ~11lbs, but I haven't taken off and measured the stock ones yet) I will post up the final measurements once the install is complete. *Updated in post #62*

Lower unsprung weight allows the suspension to react quicker to the road surface, but the difference to stock pales in comparison to the other components I've installed. It is mostly just so I can say I've done it... ;)

Where did you purchase the RC Kit from?
Purchased from Togue Tuning, along with the Steering Rack Bushing kit, which I will install further down the line with the rest of the driveline bushings/mounts.

Excellent vendor, would definitely do business with them again.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice, looks like you are getting pretty involved into the suspension. I don't know if I "NEED" to get that involved. I will probably just end up doing springs/struts, RalliTek IPD RSB and stop there for a while...I might go ahead and get the AVO LCA bushings installed in my stock LCA's...would that be a good idea?

I would highly recommend it. Even if you go with the stock caster versions made by SuperPro, you should see an improvement just from the stiffer material. Personally, I wanted the added caster to improve straight line stability and to increase the return-to-center action of the steering as I exit corners.

I would also highly recommend the RC Kit, especially for the money. When you lower the car with Swifts you have drastically altered the static and dynamic geometry of the suspension. The roll-center height plays a very important part in how the car behaves dynamically, and the RC Kit will put the geometry back into it's intended position. This kit will reduce the bump-steer drastically and will also reduce the camber gain during suspension compression, which in turn will improve front end grip at the limit (reduces terminal understeer).

I would definitely get the Bushings and RC Kit to get the most out of your Konis/Swifts, even if you put them in the stock steel control arms.

Purchased from Togue Tuning, along with the Steering Rack Bushing kit, which I will install further down the line with the rest of the driveline bushings/mounts.

Link to their site, I couldn't find it.

I would highly recommend it. Even if you go with the stock caster versions made by SuperPro, you should see an improvement just from the stiffer material. Personally, I wanted the added caster to improve straight line stability and to increase the return-to-center action of the steering as I exit corners.

I would also highly recommend the RC Kit, especially for the money. When you lower the car with Swifts you have drastically altered the static and dynamic geometry of the suspension. The roll-center height plays a very important part in how the car behaves dynamically, and the RC Kit will put the geometry back into it's intended position. This kit will reduce the bump-steer drastically and will also reduce the camber gain during suspension compression, which in turn will improve front end grip at the limit (reduces terminal understeer).

I would definitely get the Bushings and RC Kit to get the most out of your Konis/Swifts, even if you put them in the stock steel control arms.

Thanks for that info, I will look into the RC Kit. How difficult is it to install these parts? I might just want a shop to do it for me, depends on how many labor hours I'm looking at.

Thanks for that info, I will look into the RC Kit. How difficult is it to install these parts? I might just want a shop to do it for me, depends on how many labor hours I'm looking at.

Heh... EXTREMELY difficult. :lol:

Reference these threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86579

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89059

After failing to extract the ball joint I towed it to the dealership and had them finish the work. Including the alignment the damage was just under $300.

Are you still running on that crap alignment?

- Andrew

Nope it's been aligned since, although I'm still not completely satisfied. I want to put in the trailing arms and adjustable rear links before I get a performance alignment.

I will post up the results of my most recent alignment later tonight.

Heh... EXTREMELY difficult. :lol:

Reference these threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86579

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89059

After failing to extract the ball joint I towed it to the dealership and had them finish the work. Including the alignment the damage was just under $300.

:rolleyes: Yeah, I am not at all interested in trying to do any of that myself, so I will probably have a shop, or dealer, if they are cheap enough to do the work for me.

RCE: yeah, I'm pretty sure the most recent alignment has all but zeroed out the toe issues. The negative camber has definitely jumped since I dropped the car on springs, but like I said, I will post up the actual numbers later on this evening.

Brad: You should try driving on the Konis/Swifts for a while before putting these in. I definitely appreciate the subtleties of the mods more doing it this way rather than all-at-once.

If I had to prioritize the list of what I've done so far it would be:

0. Tires

1. Konis, hands-down

2. AVO bushings

3. Swifts/RC Kit (I consider the RC Kit necessary for a lowered suspension)

4. Control Arms

The dealership did an okay job with the alignment, but I was more concerned with getting it back on the road, so I didn't hound them about getting it perfect. Also, I plan on having it realigned properly after I finish the rear components.

This is where the subaru tech put the settings after installing the LCA/Bushings/RC Kit on the car.

Left Front.............Right Front

Camber: -1.1°......Camber: -1.3°

Caster: 6.6°.........Caster: 6.3°

Toe: -0.01°............Toe: -0.01°

Front:

Cross Camber: 0.2°

Total Toe: -0.02°

Left Rear...............Right Rear

Camber: -1.1°.......Camber: -1.6°

Toe: 0.22°.............Toe: 0.31°

Rear:

Cross Camber: 0.6°

Total Toe: 0.53°

Thrust Angle: -0.04°

Front Lower Control Arms, Rear Trailing Arms & Upper Links.

The Spec.B components are all forged aluminum, versus steel for the GT. The result is an unsprung weight savings of ~3lbs/corner at the front, and an unknown amount at the rear. (The AL trailing arms weigh ~11lbs, but I haven't taken off and measured the stock ones yet) I will post up the final measurements once the install is complete.

Lower unsprung weight allows the suspension to react quicker to the road surface, but the difference to stock pales in comparison to the other components I've installed. It is mostly just so I can say I've done it... ;)

Nice to Find Someone who thinks like

Me !!:wub:

I say that because my LGT has been down for a few months due to Road Hazards Big A$$ Pot holes in LA... How does that happen in a forever sunny State ....:spin:

Well Long story short I have been slowly putting my Baby back together the Right way . Flaken 452/5Zigen520 with plans to do Spec B. Control Arms U.L. & RTA. I have KartBoy End Link & Whiteline Sway F/R & working on Swift Springs & Tokico D-Spec Struts.

I appreciate the info on the Roll Center & Bushing had Plans on Stock!!

But Stock is what got me in this situation. The Pot Hole Bent the Weaker:soap_box: Stock Control Arm & 2 Rims!!! Front Right Tire RE92 was stuck in the Forum of the Pot hole.

Say Pissssed :mad: off !!!!

But Cool :cool: new Suspension:icon_chee

Thanks for the post Bones! :)

*Nerd Alert - Engineering Content Ahead*

When a part is made in steel and aluminum alloy variations there are a number of ways that the design can be optimized for the material.

If the two control arms were built to the same fabrication drawing, the aluminum part would weigh ~35% less. Therefore, if the engineer designed the aluminum arm to match the weight of the steel arm, it could be considerably stronger than the steel counterpart (we're talking mild alloy steels, nothing exotic).

However, aluminum will generally have a lower threshold for flexure cycling so the part as a whole must be designed around stiffness. Steel has a large "plastic" region, meaning it can absorb more energy in flex before it reaches the yield point (where the material distorts and doesn't snap back). For this reason, an aluminum part must be designed stiffer (in most cases larger) than the steel counterpart in order to avoid reaching the yield point of the material.

The end result is that the aluminum part will be stiffer and somewhat stronger than the steel component, and as a bonus the weight will be slightly better, but probably not the full 35% I stated earlier.

My point is that these control arms will not be so much stronger that you can drive without regard for potholes, etc... In fact, with the stiffer suspension even more of the force will be absorbed by the rigid components, so damage becomes even more of a concern.

Best of luck with getting your car back on the road! :)

Stiffer arms are not always the best. In case of a nasty pothole or something, the alu arm might withstand the impact, but transfer it over more to the causing damage elsewhere (knucle, strut, chassis), a steel arm would not, by absorbing (and/or yielding) the impact.

Good summation unclemat... Another thing to consider is that the steel arms are probably considerably cheaper to replace than the aluminum arms.

Racecomp Engineering, what do you think of the alignment readout I posted in #40? I plan on fixing the rear camber once I put in the AL trailing arms and adjustable links; I want to try to make the car as neutral as possible without adding a stiffer rear sway.

The rear toe-in is a bit concerning. I wonder if the tech was unable to zero it out, or just didn't try since it was in spec.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they're so far off either..? They have always been within a tenth or two of a degree.

Anyways, I'm putting in new everything except the "rear" link which adjusts the toe. Hopefully bringing the camber back in line with the adjustable "forward" links will make it possible to zero out the rear toe.

I'm really looking forward to playing with camber to get the car handling neutrally. I'm thinking of maxing out the front camber (without exceeding -1.5) and starting the rears with about .5 degrees less, and experimenting from there-on.

Inspect the alignment bolt washers - if they are not rounded out. Some alignment monkeys are skilled enough to overtorque the eccentric bolts and mess up the washers. Then the toe will be all over the place.

They had problems getting my rear tow in line as well.

One shop said it couldn't be done, the next shop used OEM wheels, a rag and a piece of 2x4 and got the toe easily in line, been 20,000km and rear tires are wearing exceptionally well.

Archived