LegacyGT.com

Subaru denying coverage, HELP!

toburke

If you paid by credit card, you might want to check out the place where you purchased your oil - if they had you sign up your name and address like they made me do today, they may have a record of your purchases.

Of course, if you bought stuff at different places then that presents another challenge.

Did you ever take the car to the dealer? If you did, I imagine that checking the oil might be something that they would be expected to do in the course of a normal service.

Best of luck. I hope you can work this out.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SOA is going to call me tomorrow. The car has 34k on it. The last time it was at the dealer was this summer to get the headlights fixed under warranty. I'd imagine that was probably about 10k miles ago. I have no idea if they checked the oil.

No, they say no coverage and then you have to sue SOA and then you have to win. The attorney general would have no interest in this contractual dispute.

Don't tell him that!:) Laws vary from state to state. In RI, if you refuse warranty coverage, and the customer calls the AG office they shoot down here like Miss Piggy going after Kermit the frog.

Also, there may be a Dealers Comission and License board in your state you can go to. They will litigate and the outcome is contractually binding. This may take some time, so in the interest if getting your wheels back, you may want to go the used route and sue later.

IMO, go with a used motor. Most salvage yards will put a 3/36 warranty on the motor for an extra 100-150 bucks.

Bastard Dealerships. I hate em, they give us all a bad name.:mad:

Don't tell him that!:) Laws vary from state to state. In RI, if you refuse warranty coverage, and the customer calls the AG office they shoot down here like Miss Piggy going after Kermit the frog.

Also, there may be a Dealers Comission and License board in your state you can go to. They will litigate and the outcome is contractually binding. This may take some time, so in the interest if getting your wheels back, you may want to go the used route and sue later.

IMO, go with a used motor. Most salvage yards will put a 3/36 warranty on the motor for an extra 100-150 bucks.

Bastard Dealerships. I hate em, they give us all a bad name.:mad:

Fair enough - go for it :)

Regrettably, I hadn't checked the oil level in a while. I don't really remember the last time, but the last change was a little over 4k ago.

Regardless of when you changed the oil, it's your responsibility to keep oil in the engine. If there was only a quart in there, that's low enough that damage to the turbo could have been caused by oil starvation. It doesn't really matter WHY the oil burned or leaked out.

As to changing your own oil -- just keep a little log book with notes about when and what you did. That's enough proof to satisfy your warranty requirements. "4/3/07, changed oil and filter. Valvoline 10-30, Subaru filter."

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

I keep very detailed notes in the back of my owner's manual about every single oil change I do for this exact reason. I even keep the receipts from subaru for every subaru oil filter and 5 quarts of Redline 5W30 I buy from them. I detail what day of what year, what mileage, what filter, oil, and how much I used.

I hope this all goes well for you. If they can take a sample of what is left of your oil, they should be able to have it analyzed to estimate it's approximate age to give you some sort of proof of how many miles it has seen. That might satisfy Subaru then. Sounds like you've got a few months without your baby ahead of you, though.

what is the correct advice?

The correct advice is in the owners manual...

Cliff Notes:

Maintenance is the customer's responsibility.

Warranty requires that you perform the recommended maintenance be performed as per the maintenance schedule.

The customer is responsible to keep records of all maintenance performed.

The customer is responsible to check the engine oil level at every fuel fill-up.

It's all in there...and more. :D

This reminds me why even though it is not cheap (about 65 bucks a shot) I have had every oil change except one done by the dealer, I had one done by jiffy lube and the monkey brains but the crush ring IN the oil filter :eek:.

I put out the extra cash to get an extended warranty and while I may do an UP/DP eventually in the meantime if there is any problems with my car I have full service records from date of purchase, all except one were done by a dealer (and one very nice one by Opie's dealer in FL)

And really except when its like -30 how hard is it to check your oil at fillups?

However on toburke's side, shouldnt the OIL light have gone on way before it got down to only having a quart?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

My dealer charges $17.95 for an oil change (oil, filter, ring and external wash) which is lower than even Walmart. The service manager's philosophy is that he wants to be able to catch problems before the get to engine replacement. He also wants to show that the dealership is not out to hose people. :)

shouldnt the OIL light have gone on way before it got down to only having a quart?

I asked the service guy this and he basically said that sometimes the light freezes. I plan on bringing this up when I talk to SOA tomorrow.

:eek: 65 bucks for your dealer to do an oil change!? Here they'll do it for like 30, and since that's only 5 bucks more than doing it myself I think it's money well spent to build a good relationship with the dealer.

Full Synthetic

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Just talked to SOA. They are going to talk to the dealer again, but by the way she was talking, it's not looking good.

About the no oil/CEL, she said that it is triggered by the oil pressure, not level, and there still could've been oil pressure.

this isnt the first time i've heard of mobil 1 disappearing.

My miata has done that twice. No leaks, no nothing.

Put regular dino back into it and havent lost much oil since.

Also what exacerbates this problem is that synthetics advertise longer oil change intervals...... meaning you are even MORE likely to run out (if you are to begin with)

you guys can call BS on mobil1 disappearing but it happened twice in my car, a few times on these forums. That is good enough proof for me. I'm putting regular in both my cars now..

car for sale. PM me!

this isnt the first time i've heard of mobil 1 disappearing.

My miata has done that twice. No leaks, no nothing.

Put regular dino back into it and havent lost much oil since.

+1:mad:

Also what exacerbates this problem is that synthetics advertise longer oil change intervals...... meaning you are even MORE likely to run out (if you are to begin with)

you guys can call BS on mobil1 disappearing but it happened twice in my car, a few times on these forums. That is good enough proof for me. I'm putting regular in both my cars now..

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

get a lawyer. the car was running when you dropped it off at the dealership. it wasn't running while in their care. the technicals of how a turbo can lose three quarts of oil in a day, or in 5 minutes, will come out in a claim. if the regional rep were smart, they would personally see to it that you are satisfied with a compromise, before you get a lawyer.

if your car was towed to the dealership...that would be a different story.

Waiting on another call back from SOA. I'll probably call them if I haven't heard anything by this afternoon.

This is taking longer then expected. Good thing I have a car to drive in the mean time.

Archived