LegacyGT.com

Different Tail Lights?

devobuzz

The Leg GT tail lights look too much like a Camry. Do we have any options on using different lenses? The only thing I can come up with is using some black tape/decal to change the appearance of the tail light. Maybe something like the eyebrows used for the front head lights?

At least in VA, the larger of the two covers would not be legal as it 'covers' part of the brake light. This seems silly, but something to keep in mind before you sink the money for a JDM product that may get you an expensive ticket. (Even stuff the dealers sell here in the US fall in that categaory.....like MOPAR tailight guards for my Jeep.)

One of my friends was with me one time, and I had my car parked in a parking ramp. We were walking in the ramp to find my car again, and he walks up to a new red Camry that was parked in the ramp. I give him a weird look and ask, "What are you doing?". He looks at me weird and says, "This isn't your car?" I told him, "No that's a Camry, but I understand. Our tail lights are very similar." :lol:

I think the reflector has to be red by law, but I'd rather have the rest of it clear including the LEDs. Red when on, clear when off. I'd also like the blinker LEDs to be yellow or orange. I HATE red blinkers. Especially the ones that double as break lights. One burns out, and you don't know if they are turing or stopping.

I can see it now...INTRODUCING the 2005 Toyota Camry featuring a 2.5 liter turbocharged and intercooled boxer engine featuring a symetrical all wheel drive system ready to kick ass at your local drag strip and auto cross event. HID lighting and dvd-based navigation system not available untill 2006. Please stop by your local Toyota dealer today.

[quote name='Xenonk']So we have a car that resembles to the rear of a Camry.. I would love to see someone stupid enough to run against my 250 hp AWD turbo "Camry"... Keefe[/QUOTE] I was thinking of making my 95 camry AWD with 350hp. Celica GT4 engine tranny and a rebuilt 80's AWD camry axels and driveshaft. I wanted the ultimate sleeper but a $10,000 mod on a ten year old car NO WAY IN HELL. love my GT and glad that thing is almost sold :D

[quote name='ih8vtec13']I was thinking of making my 95 camry AWD with 350hp. Celica GT4 engine tranny and a rebuilt 80's AWD camry axels and driveshaft. I wanted the ultimate sleeper but a $10,000 mod on a ten year old car NO WAY IN HELL. love my GT and glad that thing is almost sold :D[/QUOTE] LOL.....I was going to buy my dad's '85 Pontiac Pariesienne Wagon for $500 (with wood color vinyl sides) and drop a buddy's stock motor/5sp from a '95 Vette after he bought a crate motor for his car. That would have been a sleeper, but I kept hearing 'MONEY PIT!' in the back of my head. :lol:

[quote name='Th3Franz']One of my friends was with me one time, and I had my car parked in a parking ramp. We were walking in the ramp to find my car again, and he walks up to a new red Camry that was parked in the ramp. I give him a weird look and ask, "What are you doing?". He looks at me weird and says, "This isn't your car?" I told him, "No that's a Camry, but I understand. Our tail lights are very similar." :lol:[/QUOTE] Wow! What a slap in the face! I have always thought the Camry was one of the most vanilla cars on the market. I don't see how anyone could confuse the two just because of the tailights. I take it, your buddy isn't into cars?

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Patagonian GT']LOL.....I was going to buy my dad's '85 Pontiac Pariesienne Wagon for $500 (with wood color vinyl sides) and drop a buddy's stock motor/5sp from a '95 Vette after he bought a crate motor for his car. That would have been a sleeper, but I kept hearing 'MONEY PIT!' in the back of my head. :lol:[/QUOTE] Woulda been damn cool though.

[quote name='jedimaster']Woulda been damn cool though.[/QUOTE] Well, I got to sample something similar. One of the AOL guys had an LTD with a big block Ford race motor in it. The car was beige with a vinyl roof (BARF!). He had Wilwood 6 pistons on it and a nasty straight pipe exhaust. Talk about a sleeper car. That thing was ridiculous! He built it just for fun (and he had all the $$ to burn from stock options back in the day)

Funny that, I always had the opinion the new Legacy had a more plain look than most other new cars, such as the Mazda 6 and Honda Accord Euro. Actually, I feel the new Legacy look, although very nice, is not that great IMHO. OK, please don't hate me. I own a new GT and love it. However, the reason I bought it is for it's performance and handling for a reasonable cost, not so much the looks. Personally, the new Mazda and Honda Accord Euros look better inside and out (although I prefer the GT dash). At the end of the day the GT is a nice looking car from many angles but not all, and they could have done it better, more agrressive and modern look. I'm not car designer but I think I could have done a better job based on other cars (BMW, Audi, Merc, Mazda, Honda, etc.). Anyway, there's not much we can do about it except hope future Legacy models do have some more nicer touches to it, such as HID, LED lights, built-in reflectors in the bumper bars, etc., similar to the new BMW's. There's plenty of potential for improvement as the basic shape is very good. Oh, BTW, I've heard a few people say they have confused the sides of the new BMW M5 with that of the Camry!! After watching a few go by recently I actually agree. [quote name='Bob N']Wow! What a slap in the face! I have always thought the Camry was one of the most vanilla cars on the market. I don't see how anyone could confuse the two just because of the tailights. I take it, your buddy isn't into cars?[/QUOTE]

Archived