LegacyGT.com

Automatic vs. Manual...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whatever :rolleyes: i find it ironic that most of the hating comes from the MT guys who have to prove their rights to have an MT vs AT. most of the AT owners probably could care less. but hey, thanks for the compliment.

:lol:

this thread SUCKS

I dont understand your retort. You whined about peeps expressing their opinions, when opinions were asked.

Your posts suggest you are the one who feels it necessary to justify your choice.

"most of the AT owners probably could care less" and that about sums it up. Care less about driving that is.

if i wanted a manual, i woulda bought the STi instead of the Legacy LOL.

Meh, the automatic is not a good transmission. Of course the manual is a bit mismatched with the engine ... the 1st and 2nd gear ratios are too far apart. The car also could use a 6th gear (dead horse i know lol). i think it they could drop the rpm's in every gear and make 80 about ... 3200 rpm ... that would be great.

I love my car ... basically.

I dont understand your retort. You whined about peeps expressing their opinions, when opinions were asked.

Your posts suggest you are the one who feels it necessary to justify your choice.

"most of the AT owners probably could care less" and that about sums it up. Care less about driving that is.

funny. :lol:

you're absolutely correct. i don't care about driving. not at all. i just put it in auto pilot, put my feet up and lay back and enjoy the commute. i may as well hang up my racing helmet, take off all the mods to my lame ass auto cause it'll never live up to those MT trannies or capabilities. all of us ATers... Wukindada, Iamboon, Hybrid22L, all of us with our lame 5EATs because we don't ever drive our cars. :lol:

i don't care if people have opinions. that's your right. however, i don't see how it's fair that the auto haters come out and tell us that we just don't care to drive our cars or that we are somehow incapable of driving a car because we happen to CHOOSE to drive/buy an AT. just like you choose to drive/buy a MT, it's your choice. how many threads are there of AT owners telling the MT owners they don't know how to drive or that they are stupid for buying an MT because their resale value's gonna suck? come on. unless the thread is about someone who literally can't drive their car and burns their clutch up in 3K miles, there isn't anyone who says anything ill about the MT's. That is what I'm talking about. Why so much hatred towards the AT and the AT owners? it's my choice. I happen to actually enjoy my 5EAT because i wanted to try something a little different.

i love MT. I generally prefer MT over an AT, so i'm not saying that AT is better. They are awesome! but at the time, i figured I'd mix it up a little and buy the auto because i was intrigued with the sport shift and manual shift modes. plus, i got a smoking deal on the car and decided to mod an AT vs an MT (which everyone mods MT's). yes, sometimes i miss having a 6MT very much. when I drive an STI or Evo, wow! I miss it a lot. but then in my daily driving, I remember that I still enjoy and love my 5EAT. there's nothing wrong with that. so am I defending my choice to purchase a 5EAT? yes! I just don't see why I should have to??

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Again, your diatribe shows how insecure you are, but you accuse us MT owners of it. Your posts are getting longer too, perhaps we have struck a nerve.

You're the one resorting to insults, I was posting my opinion, again in response to the original poster's request.

yet you feel the need to browbeat and minimize the value of other's opinions which disagree with yours. Additionally, you further justify your opinion, pleading with me to give in and say "I'm wrong, you're right." Classic.

Perhaps you require professional help. Alternatively, it seems likely that you are a young teenager still thinking about her first car.

Whatever. cya. It's not worth looking at your icon anymore.

funny. :lol:

you're absolutely correct. i don't care about driving. not at all. i just put it in auto pilot, put my feet up and lay back and enjoy the commute. i may as well hang up my racing helmet, take off all the mods to my lame ass auto cause it'll never live up to those MT trannies or capabilities. all of us ATers... Wukindada, Iamboon, Hybrid22L, all of us with our lame 5EATs because we don't ever drive our cars. :lol:

i don't care if people have opinions. that's your right. however, i don't see how it's fair that the auto haters come out and tell us that we just don't care to drive our cars or that we are somehow incapable of driving a car because we happen to CHOOSE to drive/buy an AT. just like you choose to drive/buy a MT, it's your choice. how many threads are there of AT owners telling the MT owners they don't know how to drive or that they are stupid for buying an MT because their resale value's gonna suck? come on. unless the thread is about someone who literally can't drive their car and burns their clutch up in 3K miles, there isn't anyone who says anything ill about the MT's. That is what I'm talking about. Why so much hatred towards the AT and the AT owners? it's my choice. I happen to actually enjoy my 5EAT because i wanted to try something a little different.

i love MT. I generally prefer MT over an AT, so i'm not saying that AT is better. They are awesome! but at the time, i figured I'd mix it up a little and buy the auto because i was intrigued with the sport shift and manual shift modes. plus, i got a smoking deal on the car and decided to mod an AT vs an MT (which everyone mods MT's). yes, sometimes i miss having a 6MT very much. when I drive an STI or Evo, wow! I miss it a lot. but then in my daily driving, I remember that I still enjoy and love my 5EAT. there's nothing wrong with that. so am I defending my choice to purchase a 5EAT? yes! I just don't see why I should have to??

Again, your diatribe shows how insecure you are, but you accuse us MT owners of it. Your posts are getting longer too, perhaps we have struck a nerve.

You're the one resorting to insults, I was posting my opinion, again in response to the original poster's request.

yet you feel the need to browbeat and minimize the value of other's opinions which disagree with yours. Additionally, you further justify your opinion, pleading with me to give in and say "I'm wrong, you're right." Classic.

Perhaps you require professional help. Alternatively, it seems likely that you are a young teenager still thinking about her first car.

Whatever. cya. It's not worth looking at your icon anymore.

wow. you are quite full of yourself, aren't you. no matter, you are not worth my time. :lol:

and btw, ALL my posts are long. i'm a woman... i talk as much as my posts, thank you. ;)

I think where my hatred of the popularity of the AT stems - is that it's ruining a very good thing.

More and more people are getting ATs making it uneconomical for car makers to make cars with MTs. Already for the 2007's Subaru discontinued the MT for the GT wagon. You can no longer get a V6 Camry with an MT.

MTs are dying, and those of us that love them don't want to see them go.

That's what it boils down to... for me at least.

trdvibe I'll never get tired of looking at your avatar, your beautiful! seriously though, my problem with some of these post, is that mt owners are making the assumption that 5eat owners lack driving skill or lack the desire to really drive their cars. the cars come with a manual mode for a reason correct? i can run my rpm up to red line just like a mt if i want. besides added weight and a bit slower shift is the car that much slower?not really. it just takes a little more work to make a automatic faster. at least we don't have to go through the work of putting on sts's, searching for a clutch that doesn't stink, and more importantly we don't have to tap dance our floor boards in rush hour traffic,
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

As a 57 year-old "old fart", I agree. Throughout my formative years, replete with 60s muscle cars, MTs ruled. When you drove a 60s Goat, GTX, Chevelle SS, Runner, etc. with a AT...you were a pussy! I've purchased 18 vehicles over the years and only two were ATs.

Those were two SUVs I had when my kids were younger and I need the room and boat towing capabilty. Kids are gone now, Still have an old Ford pickup to tow the boat and am happier then a pig in S**T with my 05 LGT MT I bought new two years ago. Midlife crisis car?...maybe, but I'm sure enjoying this car!

I really feel the attributes and fun -to- drive/connected feeling of MTs are lost on the younger generation...They just don't know any better...Sorry to all the younger guys on this forum who do appreciate shifting for yourselves...I'm not talking about you, of course. You are enlightened but definetely not in the majority.

Sorry for the rant...

My 66 tempest and 68 firebirds were auto...my 69 Camaro was a 4 spd...my 90 300zx turbo was stick. They were all fun, but I didn't have to drive to Newark everyday. 37 miles, and up to 2hrs in traffic. Up to 3 hrs coming home on Friday nights in the summer. I'll stick with my 5EAT...from a 42 yr old fart

Maybe I touched a nerve and maybe I'm spoiled...My commute in this community of 100K is less then ten minutes and twisties and wide open spaces are less then five minutes from my home...A couple of reasons why I've lived here all my life plus the fact I can have my boat on the Missouri River and a line in the water in less then a half hour.

The point I was making about 60s muscle cars is verified when watching any of the collector car auctions on Speed TV or HD networks that broadcast these auctions. A collectible 60s muscle car with a stick almost always sells for at least 30% more then a similar car with a AT...Again, baby boomers with the cash remembering and trying to recreate their youth.

trdvibe I'll never get tired of looking at your avatar, your beautiful! seriously though, my problem with some of these post, is that mt owners are making the assumption that 5eat owners lack driving skill or lack the desire to really drive their cars. the cars come with a manual mode for a reason correct? i can run my rpm up to red line just like a mt if i want. besides added weight and a bit slower shift is the car that much slower?not really. it just takes a little more work to make a automatic faster. at least we don't have to go through the work of putting on sts's, searching for a clutch that doesn't stink, and more importantly we don't have to tap dance our floor boards in rush hour traffic,

thank you and thank you. you hit my point right on! just because my daily driver is an auto, doesn't mean that i can't drive or don't enjoy driving. if i raced every single car on the road every time i get behind the wheel, i wouldn't have my license anymore! as it stands, i get myself in enough trouble with speeding and what not, so now i save it for the track. and that starts THIS weekend!! thank god!!

and besides, today is a great day! our brand spanking new 2007 STI arrived this morning and i'm leaving right now to go pick this beast up! :banana: so now i do get my cake and 5EAT too! :banana:

whatever :rolleyes: i find it ironic that most of the hating comes from the MT guys who have to prove their rights to have an MT vs AT. most of the AT owners probably could care less. but hey, thanks for the compliment.

:lol:

this thread SUCKS

I think it's their way of justifying the nasty clutch stink issues and having to replace clutches and what not.

You guys are funny. If you'd simply read the posts, and take the words for what they mean, then you'd be far less upset. Peeps seem to read between the lines and take out what they want to take out.

Quoting my first post in this thread:

"LOL

If that's all you care about, it doesnt matter. One buys a manual because one likes to drive rather than be driven.

It's not about performance anymore, modern automatics are close in performance to manuals, but lack the pop and control a good driver has with a manual. "

I never said anything dissing autos in this post. I say there's little difference. I said if you don't care it doesn't matter, but if you want control, you'll have more with a manual.

Then some prissy chick gets her panties in a bunch about how MT owners are insecure and blah blah blah, a fight breaks out. Pretty soon a hockey game will break out.

LOL

Peeps are so immature on the intraweb. I'm not sure it's worth trying to contribute on these forums anymore by expressing my opinions about things - it's just a point of view, there are no points or awards or demerits for getting the most people to agree with your opinions about this shit. I'm posting trying to help others figure out what they want. I post a lot of opinions about tires, for example, but I don't tell people what to buy - I simply share what I've experienced and what I've read about other people's experience - 99% of people dont know shit about tires, so I try to help them understand. Same with manual vs automatic

Sheesh.

Archived