LegacyGT.com

Subaru Wagon Driver Nailed for 130 in a 55 in Salem, OR

gfxdave99

i say they make a high speed lane all over the U.S. that states that know one that is going under 100 is allowed on it. But, eventually some old fart is going to drive on it a piss the #$$? out of everybody, just like the carpool lanes nowadays.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I sound crazy, and I'm not really talking about the people who drive 100+ on an empty road. I mean if you want to it's why we got fast cars, but I've seen lots of other people do really stupid stuff. I'm generally talking about the ricers and non ricers that race around the parkways in the city going 90 - 120 on congested roads where people enter and exit the parkway or highway constantly and ghange lanes frequently. THOSE people think they are superior drivers and often wind up causing accidents they are not involved in, and sometimes wind up hurting other people. I'm just sick of the boy racers in their civics and maximas weaving in and out and causing accidents.

Ahem, what's wrong with changing lanes frequently if done correctly? (proper distance, advance signaling, mirrors checked, etc).

Don't get me wrong, but I hear about "changing lanes frequently" too... frequently. Seems like MIDDLE LANE HOGS (hate them more than LLB) and LEFT LANE HOGS think changing to rightmost lane is too frequent and endangering endeavor.

Along the same lines, unclemat, I've noticed that there seems to be an increase in the number of people who get angry at me for passing them legally in a passing zone! The connection between the pass and their speed (or lack thereof) prior to the pass seems to be lost on them.

[/rant]

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Along the same lines, unclemat, I've noticed that there seems to be an increase in the number of people who get angry at me for passing them legally in a passing zone! The connection between the pass and their speed (or lack thereof) prior to the pass seems to be lost on them.

[/rant]

Exactly. At night those f****s feel so offended that they would turn on high beams on me. What's wrong with these people?

Btw, autodim mirror ftw!

want to see bad drivers. come to boston area. no one signals always on the phone driving slow in the left lane. and if they did something wrong they will look at ou and flip you off as if its your fault

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Yeah, that cracks me up. Noone is infallible, somehow this nation of "drivers" in 99% is convinced to be right all the time. A bitch in a SUV ran a stop sign and almost hit me. Guess what, she showed me the finger.....

Any way you guys want to look at it... the higher the speed, the higher the fatality rate. Other drivers on the road nonwithstanding (and that is the main reason for accidents, someone else doing something that you cannot control) A blown out tire, pothole, debris on the road, rabid dog running out on the road, etc. etc. etc... The slower your speed the more in control of the vehicle and shorter the stopping distance. Hence the statistics for rollovers (evasion manuevers @ high speeds gone horribily wrong) and the lotto'esk chances of survival in an accident with excessive speeds involved. (85mph +) Inertia is not your friend.

I'm no saint but the fact is, trying to justify excessive speed as safe in any way or safer because "you are a good driver" is rubbish. I'm sure that alot of the people think that before they roll their car or wrap it around a tree. (You see it too many times here on Long Island on the SSP)

want to see bad drivers. come to boston area. no one signals always on the phone driving slow in the left lane. and if they did something wrong they will look at ou and flip you off as if its your fault

That explains the insurance rates there...

:lol:

Any way you guys want to look at it... the higher the speed, the higher the fatality rate. Other drivers on the road nonwithstanding (and that is the main reason for accidents, someone else doing something that you cannot control) A blown out tire, pothole, debris on the road, rabid dog running out on the road, etc. etc. etc... The slower your speed the more in control of the vehicle and shorter the stopping distance. Hence the statistics for rollovers (evasion manuevers @ high speeds gone horribily wrong) and the lotto'esk chances of survival in an accident with excessive speeds involved. (85mph +) Inertia is not your friend.

I'm no saint but the fact is, trying to justify excessive speed as safe in any way or safer because "you are a good driver" is rubbish. I'm sure that alot of the people think that before they roll their car or wrap it around a tree. (You see it too many times here on Long Island on the SSP)

Yeah, all is true. The problem is in the U.S. the approach is

"let's most the idiots drive as long as they drive slow"

instead

"let's educate the idiots so everyone can drive safer and faster"

Glad to see someone agrees with me! :lol:

Hi, I'm sorry, it's me again with another huge post. But...

Any way you guys want to look at it... the higher the speed, the higher the fatality rate...

Only partially true, it depends on your context.

The faster you drive, the less time you have to react, the higher risk you take to hit something in your path.

The faster you drive, when you hit something, the higher the chances are that you will die.

No arguments there, if that's your point, you've made it, and I agree.

But now think past that, because that is oversimplifying the issue. For most of human existence, much of what we believed was based on folklore and myth. As science progressed, mankind gradually learned to apply empirical knowledge toward our understanding of reality. We are now at the stage where humans are capable of using research and statistics to establish what is fact and what is fiction. This has not changed the fact that a great deal of what the majority believes is still folklore, since having the capacity for analytical study does not necessarily equate with practicing sound scientific methodology.

So what if I told you that increasing the speed limits meant you would have less of a chance of hitting something? Why do most people have automobile accidents? I know about the blown out tires, potholes, debris, yada, yada...

..but it's not that, and it's not speed, it's not even drinking alcohol or using drugs, it's by people not paying attention and driving distracted, which is very easy to do when you can get away with setting the cruise control, putting the blinders on, crankin up some tunes, call'in up your BFF, lighting a smoke, while scarfin down some drive thru, camp'in out in the fast lane. :spin:That's why teenagers are so scary. Drivers age 15-20 accounted for 12.6 percent of all the drivers involved in fatal crashes, despite "quicker reflexes", experience, patients, focus, discipline does play a huge part, and I guess if anything, that is what people mean by skills. How about the "skill" to know the difference between flying down an empty stretch of highway and darting through traffic jockeying for position while texting, and posing and, ... here we go again.

People who are speeding more often then not are usually paying attention to what they are doing. I said it before in my last long ass post, but it bears repeating, the Florida Department of Transportation conducted research that showed that the percentage of accidents actually caused by speeding is very low, 2.2%

With speed limits set the way they are, people don't take them seriously. A Corvette is engineered to handle much better then a school bus at speed. So why does the bus travel at the speed limit. Shouldn't the speed limit be how fast the fastest drivers and cars travel at, a "limit" if you will? As for those drivers that shouldn't travel at the speed limit, exercise some judgment as to what speed to safely travel. Knowing how fast the fastest people should/could drive, would be a more realistic gauge of how quickly you should operate the vehicle your in, be it a motorcycle, RV or whatever.

Based on the free-flow speed data collected for a 24-h period at the experimental and comparison sites in 22 states, posted speed limits were set, on average, at the 45th percentile speed or below the average speed of traffic. [This means that, on average, only 45 percent of us abide by present speed limits.] :eek:

AND

According to an Institute of Transportation Engineers Study, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are six times as likely to be involved in an accident.

This means two things:

Most people speed, and those who don't are dangerous to us all. :lol::icon_neut

THE SPEED LIMITS ARE NOT AS SAFE AS THEY COULD BE IN MOST OF THE COUNTRY!!!

If people who are trying to comply with the current speed limits/laws weren't clashing against the majority of other drivers, we would have less accidents, less road rage, less traffic, less time to get to your destination, we would get less speeding tickets, pay less for insurance, less people would be late for work, we would use less fuel, have less global warming... less people would die. [/drama]

So Mortal2None, in that respect, as far as I can tell, you are wrong, respectfully.

www.motorists.org/issues/speed/speed_limit_research.html

I did hear an interesting story about a car stereo installer who moved from the US to Germany. As part of one install, he cut into an M5's rear deck. Because he cut into part of the car's metal, the vehicle was no longer considered road-worthy according to the local laws. Or at least that's the story I heard. :)

DC drivers are the most worstest anywhere I've driven anywhere in the US and overseas. Agree with the rally squirrel who said Germany is a driving eutopia.

Amen to this. Apparently using a turn signal is not required in MD. (No offense to the MD members of this forum - I have yet to see a Legacy with MD tags failing to signal.)

When I first moved to VA, the mandatory safety inspection irked me, but now I think it's a great idea, given the crap I have seen people pull on the beltway. I have not-so-fond memories of once following a upside down wheelbarrow (that I watched fall off of someone's trailer) down 95 @ about 65 mph.:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

[/rant]

I'm quoting myself on this one, as a perfect example happened this morning on my way in to work.

With some of the construction that's happening on the local highways, I tend to take more rural, surface roads to and from work these days. That's OK, they are mostly nice, twisty river roads without much if any traffic.

This AM I was behind a few slowpokes near the end of my commute, but I wasn't getting impatient since I knew there was a nice long passing zone coming up. So I bide my time, get around the turn, look ahead, good - no oncoming traffic - and start passing. The slowpokes are still poking so I get past the first two without breaking a sweat, but the third decides to race. Rather than push through the end of the passing zone, I just fall in behind. He goes back to slowpoke speed, and I settle in mildly annoyed.

We get down to the end of the road where it "T"s off, and the guy in the truck in front of me gets out of his vehicle to give me a piece of his mind. Apparently, he is annoyed that I had the audacity to try to pass him in a passing zone. I had a few choice things to say to the guy, but there was no benefit to saying them. I went around his rig and continued my commute.

Where does this impulse to get offended by other drivers doing perfectly legal maneuvers come from?:mad:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Ummmm... this thing is still alive? :lol:

Duke, remember: PNW drivers are fatally infected with the platoon virus. ;) If they see another car going one speed, they will speed up and keep pace with that car. No matter the lane, no matter the speed, no matter the situation. It's really bad. :(

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I'm quoting myself on this one, as a perfect example happened this morning on my way in to work.

With some of the construction that's happening on the local highways, I tend to take more rural, surface roads to and from work these days. That's OK, they are mostly nice, twisty river roads without much if any traffic.

This AM I was behind a few slowpokes near the end of my commute, but I wasn't getting impatient since I knew there was a nice long passing zone coming up. So I bide my time, get around the turn, look ahead, good - no oncoming traffic - and start passing. The slowpokes are still poking so I get past the first two without breaking a sweat, but the third decides to race. Rather than push through the end of the passing zone, I just fall in behind. He goes back to slowpoke speed, and I settle in mildly annoyed.

We get down to the end of the road where it "T"s off, and the guy in the truck in front of me gets out of his vehicle to give me a piece of his mind. Apparently, he is annoyed that I had the audacity to try to pass him in a passing zone. I had a few choice things to say to the guy, but there was no benefit to saying them. I went around his rig and continued my commute.

Where does this impulse to get offended by other drivers doing perfectly legal maneuvers come from?:mad:

I call it "King/Queen of the road syndrome".

He/she can drive as slow/fast as they please as long as everybody else stays behind.

Legal passing is an offence to their pride.

Krzys

Yeah, all is true. The problem is in the U.S. the approach is

"let's most the idiots drive as long as they drive slow"

instead

"let's educate the idiots so everyone can drive safer and faster"

With insurance companies basically controlling everything driving related, from education to traffic laws, i doubt that will ever change.

Basically we really only have a handful of politicians and the national motorist association who work for ... lets say a more German/european type of driving system.

Lets consider this, the lobby in Germany that keeps no speed limits on most of the autobahn is compared to the NRA in america in terms of lobbying power. Until the people of the USA decided they want any differently, expect to continue to bend over to insurance companies and their profits.

I love my car ... basically.

Archived