LegacyGT.com

Personalized plates

typeSpeed

How in heck are all you guys getting that sort of return on your equity? My wife and I just bought a house, and have sunk about 6k or a little more into renovation/redecoration, but we are definitely not looking at that sort of equity return after a year (we've been there about 6 months.) Is the property value skyrocketing where you are, or something? Sorry to high jack the thread. As for personalized plates, I would have to be really amused by something to have it on the back of my car indefinitely. The only reason I would get one is if a normal plate had some bad combination of characters, or something.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']How in heck are all you guys getting that sort of return on your equity? My wife and I just bought a house, and have sunk about 6k or a little more into renovation/redecoration, but we are definitely not looking at that sort of equity return after a year (we've been there about 6 months.) Is the property value skyrocketing where you are, or something? Sorry to high jack the thread. As for personalized plates, I would have to be really amused by something to have it on the back of my car indefinitely. The only reason I would get one is if a normal plate had some bad combination of characters, or something.[/QUOTE] Dont know where the others live, but in Northern Va. property value has been going up and keeps rising. Even when we purchased our second home, before we signed papers it was appraised for 10k more than what we bought it for :)

Same deal with me - Northern VA. I put an offer down in July 2003 (with only a $500 downpayment as part of the FannieMae first time buyer program) and I was able to refinance (now with more than 20% equity) in April 2004. It's gone up more since, allowing us to build a deck and install a patio with a HELOC. Crazy!

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']How in heck are all you guys getting that sort of return on your equity?[/QUOTE]First, you don't get "return on equity" you gain equity through principal reduction or market appreciation. (Sorry if I'm taking your comments too literally.) Second, by following the old credo espoused by Realtors; it's location, location, location. Third, you buy you profit going in. Like buying stocks - buy low, sell high. Back on topic: [quote name='Max Capacity']Mine is GOTSNO I ski a lot...[/QUOTE]I'm a skier too. Hi Max, my old friend. I've been toying with [i]SKIBARU.[/i] But I can't decide if that's stupid or not. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
Personalized plates are a BAD IDEA if you like to drive fast. They are too easy to remember and that get you in trouble..... I know. I don't have personal plates on any of my three cars for that reason. CONSIDER THIS A WARNING!

Archived