LegacyGT.com

No mo mushy brakes

ping

Our 05 LGT wagon's brakes were so bad, even my wife noticed it :lol:. It is her DD (27k), but she is not particularly sensitive to bad performance. It was not all bad though - they were great in promoting a defensive driving style. (look 3 cars ahead, etc)

In went Hawk HPS (fronts only), and fresh ATE200 fluid (I used a little over a liter). I eschewed the move to SS lines, at least for now.

The brake pedal went from having to be primed (quick push before real brake application) to nice and firm. The car also seems to stop more authoritatively. Those big brakes are finally pulling their own weight.

In short: Hawk HPS = Good move, and a good flush is all you need to effect a dramatic improvement in brake feel.

We'll see how it holds up... My tires (RE92) unfortunately look brand new, but I may spoon them off next.

ping

Nice to hear...I am thinking of doing HPS, fluid and lines this spring if I can figure out how to get them without the wife finding out.

buy just the fronts...$85. have someone on here put them on for you cheap. PM whitetiger....he's in NJ.

buy just the fronts...$85. have someone on here put them on for you cheap. PM whitetiger....he's in NJ.

Thanks but brakes I can do myself....I was going to use whitetiger for the up/dp since leaks seem to be a common problem but I haven't seen him on the forum in quite some time. Maybe in a month or two when I have the cash and parts he'll be around. If not I am sure to be posting a help thread. :lol:

Same story here. My wife was telling me her brakes sucked. I didn't believe her, untill I drove her wagon. WOW, WTF. I ordered and installed Ebay rotors and pads, along with a fluid flush, and the difference is amazing. No more adding to pedal pressure as you stop.

Simple, My wife would give me more sex if her car looked more like my new 07 vette, with bling slotted and drilled rotors. She was jelous. Is that cool with you? The new STi wheels showed more rusty disks. Did not like the rust/plain look of the STi rotors.....so I bought zinc coated slotted and drilled. I still have yet to hit thatazz after seventeen years of being with my wife. By now, I think it's never going to happen. Oh well. There are pics and such in the "ebay rotors" thread, and more in the STi wheels thread. Already talked about this ninty times. All four rotors and eight pads for around $400. Nice. Still look very high dollar. We get compliments everywhere we go.

I was going to use whitetiger for the up/dp since leaks seem to be a common problem but I haven't seen him on the forum in quite some time.

El Tigre is MIA...hope all is well with him.

How are the Hawk pads noisewise??

Whatever, I have them on my vette, "upgraded" racing brakes from GM as an option. Every race machine I've seen has had something cut into the disks. Either slots, or waves, or drilled holes, or any combination of the three. I guess a solid disk is stronger than a disk that has been cut.....?? We drive safe, and have a kid almost 16yrs. I doubt we will be cracking any rotors anytime soon, but maybe my son will if he tries hard enough? Can't wait to have a teen driver in the house. :spin:More sex for up to three weeks! (Laboratory proven results)

Porsche also uses ceramic rotors... and/or the holes are cast in, not drilled. This helps reduce the stresses in the hole. Drilling a rotor is just plain silly from a performance perspective.

But they sure do look purty.

Porsche also uses ceramic rotors... and/or the holes are cast in, not drilled. This helps reduce the stresses in the hole. Drilling a rotor is just plain silly from a performance perspective.

But they sure do look purty.

It's a 5k option for the ceramics. Otherwise is plain old iron for you! :lol:

Also, if it's just a daily driver, they'll be fine. I wouldn't track them, but if it's for the wife's car and she wanted a little more bling why not?

People starting to become like the NASIOC tech forums around here :p

Whatever, I have them on my vette, "upgraded" racing brakes from GM as an option. Every race machine I've seen has had something cut into the disks. Either slots, or waves, or drilled holes, or any combination of the three. I guess a solid disk is stronger than a disk that has been cut.....?? We drive safe, and have a kid almost 16yrs. I doubt we will be cracking any rotors anytime soon, but maybe my son will if he tries hard enough? Can't wait to have a teen driver in the house. :spin:More sex for up to three weeks! (Laboratory proven results)

I believe that Dave Hill has said the x-drilled rotors on the C6 were AESTHETIC only.

They are there for marketing purposes.

But I think it is the C6 that's Sex, not the rotors :p

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

My rotors are zinc plated. They came from F1. They are awsome.

Corvette is a delivery car for my business, and also has zinc plated rotors, as an upgraded OPTION http://www.gmbuypower.com/pages/submodelOptionalEquipmentPopup/2007_Chevrolet_Corvette_Coupe.jsp?item=7 . The stopping distance is improved with this set-up, duh. Check it out on t3h specs. Why would anyone claim it is just for looks? Larger rotors and bigger calipers=better braking right off the bat, then I guess theu added holes for better cooling and instant braking in the rain. My Lotus had a 1/3sec delay in the rain with solid disks. I also think GM went on to zinc plate JUST FOR LOOKS> Maybe that was what your ?source was talking about?

I could care less what you guys think, been married for seventeen years, and still love drilling holes. :lol: If they crack, I'll fuggin buy more. So there! They are not ugly rust frisbies anymore, but something purdy to look at. That's all. I'm not sending my wife out to grab the SCCA title this year.

I care much more about the engine stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake#Racing

I agree with all of you.

I'm not racing, and I doubt most of you are racing. Cross drilling is fine for me. It helps with initial grab in the rain, and looks sexy. I would bet my life that we will never crack these rotors. They have improved the brake feel 100%.

If I were in competition, looks would not matter at all.

Note that any plating (zinc or otherwise) will simply wear off when the brakes are used. The plating is intended for the rest of the rotor, to prevent it from rusting and looking bad under a wide-open wheel-set. Hence, this is purely an aesthetic feature.

As for drilled rotors, there are many posts about how these are bad for racing, as they crack. This is no longer under dispute (many manufacturers recommend against drilled rotors on race applications).

As for "cooling"... it doesn't help there either. The vented design of a rotor cools it more than the cross-drills ever do. Again, they only add to the material stress. Besides which, if you are worried about overheating the brake rotors, you are probably racing, in which case, see the point above.

Lastly, a quality set of pads will work wonders, and will make street-heat "issues" irrelevent, as they are designed better to cope with the heat. Note that heat, alone, isn't a bad thing... it's the behavior of the pad on the hot rotor that's the problem.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up for those that may not know the facts... this post was not directed at anyone in particular...

Archived