LegacyGT.com

The upcoming diesel engine...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

back to topic, yes please :)

and to kill the VW discussion I quote Jeremy Clarkson about the Jetta :

"To give you some idea of how dull and featureless life is in there, put a cardboard box over your head. And leave it there for 10 years."

back to topic, yes please :)

and to kill the VW discussion I quote Jeremy Clarkson about the Jetta :

"To give you some idea of how dull and featureless life is in there, put a cardboard box over your head. And leave it there for 10 years."

Sounds about right.

Sorry to continue the vw talk as a TDI owner and LGT owner I really do like diesels for their ecomony . I have a older 2003 1.9l tdi that is a polluter compared most ICE's but has lots of good points also such as cheaper fuel, great hwy mpg, burns anything (grease, bioD , Dino oil), just as tunable as our turbos , great web forums for info, passionate drivers, ect ect. As far as emissions well probably 1/2 the lgt forum is catless here....hmm so what... The new 2l vw tdi for 2008 looks super with some nice specs even with the epa revised strictor mpg ratings... quote vw via tdiclub

With an estimated 140 hp and 235 lb-ft in production trim, the 2.0-liter engine is up 30 hp and 55 lb-ft of torque from the previous 1.9-liter. Variable turbine geometry helps increase power without sacrificing efficiency, resulting in early estimates of 60 mpg on the highway. Volkswagen does not use urea injection, so owners don’t need to worry about filling the tank like that of a Bluetec system. There is a NOx trap and a particulate filter in the exhaust system to help meet Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions standards. Other upgrades include piezoelectric injectors, common-rail injection, a four-valve design and two-stage exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system.

I welcome a subaru tdi so I can cross shop vs a vw tiguan .

As far a performance what about a 326bhp, 620Nm BMW 535d? The euros say its faster than any of the current ice BMW M cars . I think if you tried a tdi you would really love the super low end torque they provide.

Jim

As far a performance what about a 326bhp, 620Nm BMW 535d? The euros say its faster than any of the current ice BMW M cars

Huh? Faster than the current V10 M5 is what you are saying? The 535d is much slower than the 550i, which is only a V8.

Huh? Faster than the current V10 M5 is what you are saying? The 535d is much slower than the 550i, which is only a V8.

Well if the 535d was putting out 100 more horsepower and whatever retarded level of torque it would be making (550lb-ft?) it might out gun a 550i, especially once both were already rolling. Problem is the 535d doesn't make that much power stock, although tuners like Hamann have gotten 350+ hp out of that diesel.

Just my 2 cents, diesels are a lot of fun to drive compared to a hybrid, as long as the trany is there to put it to the ground. There's something to be said about dropping the clutch and not having your foot on the accelerator ;) I really enjoyed my Jetta TDI aside from the clutch issue but that falls on the shoulders of VWoA. I look forward to a diesel subi, I assuem they will have something worked out by the time my car is paid off and I roll the odometer over 200k. I loved the fact that I could drive like an a$$ and still get 42mpg. Decrease that a little for the AWD and I'm a happy camper.

----Hang up and Drive!----

Just my 2 cents, diesels are a lot of fun to drive compared to a hybrid,

Well I think its what you drive. Obviously the Prius is not a fun car drive. Its more of a satisfying feeling. But if I had to pick between the GS450h, or even the Altima hybrid over the Jetta TDI, I'd go for the hybrid based on fun factor. Now I haven't driven either car, but I heard the Accord hybrid is pretty unexciting despite its extra horsepower, so if you put it against the E320 bluetec I might have to opt for MB.

If Subaru is going to make a reliable diesel, I may be in the market for it when I'm out of college.

I would have to pass if its only available in a CVT. And knowing Subaru as well as I do, it prolly will only be available in a CVT for the first several years.

The following was a response I received from SOA to the question about a diesel engines coming to the US:

I asked:

I've been reading in various vehicle magazines websites that Subaru plans to introduce a dieselengine in 2009. I was wondering if you plan on offering the diesel in an Outback and also make it available with a 5/6 speed manual transmission? Thanks.

First name: L

Last name: L

============= SOA Response below ===========================

Dear Mr. L:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your interest in Subaru products. The plan is to introduce a turbo-diesel powered model in Europe next year. Once this model is on the market in Europe, our manufacturer will review the sales results, performance and feedback from owners. At that time, a decision will be made as to whether or not to offer this model in the US. It would have to be modified to meet the stricter standards of the US government.

We do appreciate that you brought this interest to our attention. I have forwarded your message to our Product Planning Department as a suggestion to offer turbo-diesel Subaru Outback models in the United States and as soon as possible.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please let us know.

Best wishes,

Gina Holwell

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department-----------------------------------------------------------

i wonder if the engine really would need modifications... ... if the engine doesn't reach EU/US requirements it is doomed...

I will testdrive the cars when they arrive early 2008 here in sweden. It will be at least Legacy and Outback diesels here.

Archived