LegacyGT.com

The upcoming diesel engine...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes if it doesn't get at least as good milage as "the others" ( BMW, Audi, VW ,..) it will be a major drawback and badwill for Subaru as a brand.

158 bhp as stock for a turbo diesel will produce alot of torque and the option to re-program the engine electronic is great. Almost everybody here in Sweden tune their new turbo diesels (chip-trim).

I just read an article about some chaps at stanford that are working on a new technology called HCCI that makes the internal combustion engine much more efficient and clean to boot (rivaling diesel).. Here's a brief on their work.

http://0-gcep.stanford.edu.ilsprod.lib.neu.edu/pdfs/SI3U6jOMPAIgwkaiBD_77Q/edwards_homogenous_ers06.pdf

maybe someday we'll get the best of both worlds, economy and performance!

dude, a 158 hp diesel should have AT LEAST 250 ft lbs of torque, and get ~45 mpg on the highway (the TDI gets what, 52?)

MAYBE . . . it'll have like 300ft lbs of torque and get 55mpg :)

Actually its more like 41 mpg highwy, 36 city. ....thinking about it now, My sister's Corolla achieved that and it only took 8.5 seconds to hit 60 MPH, not 10.5. Hmmm......

Actually its more like 41 mpg highwy, 36 city. ....thinking about it now, My sister's Corolla achieved that and it only took 8.5 seconds to hit 60 MPH, not 10.5. Hmmm......

Look at the average reported fuel economy on say a 2005 Jetta TDI. Combined city and highway it is 44.5mpg.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Compare that to the reported average for a 2005 Toyota Corolla at 34.3 mpg combined.

Look at the average reported fuel economy on say a 2005 Jetta TDI. Combined city and highway it is 44.5mpg.

Compare that to the reported average for a 2005 Toyota Corolla at 34.3 mpg combined.

44.5 MPG based on 6 vehicles. If you look at 2006 you'll notice thats its more like 30 vehicles and the rating is closer to 40. And the Corolla's is more like 36 average. And I also see that the Jetta TDI has the worst pollution score a car can get. All said and done, the Corolla is still faster....and cheaper. Much cheaper. Like $7,000 cheaper!

BTW, links from that site don't work.

44.5 MPG based on 6 vehicles. If you look at 2006 you'll notice thats its more like 30 vehicles and the rating is closer to 40. And the Corolla's is more like 36 average. And I also see that the Jetta TDI has the worst pollution score a car can get. All said and done, the Corolla is still faster....and cheaper. Much cheaper. Like $7,000 cheaper!

BTW, links from that site don't work.

That's right stupid EPA site never has linked right.

The Corolla and the Jetta are not even really all that close in content or weight as far as comparisons go. I would take the Jetta any day over the Corolla, it has much nicer features but it does weigh more than the Corolla. The Corolla should be a little faster, and cheaper it weighs less and has less equipment.

I would be interested to see what in gear, and top gear acceleration times are for both cars. I'll wager that the diesel is faster in all but high rpm engine operation.

i like the jetta better too, especially the tdi :) if you're gonna get a corolla, you might as well get an old civic w/ the 1.6L engine. my friend has one and drives the living sh!t out of it and still gets ~35mpg city

i like the jetta better too, especially the tdi :) if you're gonna get a corolla, you might as well get an old civic w/ the 1.6L engine. my friend has one and drives the living sh!t out of it and still gets ~35mpg city

So you would opt for the siginficantly slower, significantly more expensive, notoriously bad service record, ignition coil heating Jetta?

And the Toyota 1.8L gets better mileage than the a Civic 1.6L, a Yaris 1.5L (which is actually the same as the Prius 1.5L).

SLegacy99

If I am not mistaken diesel does not require ignition so ignition coils are not needed.

If you hate VW it is OK but diesels really use less fuel and amount of pollution depends on what you count as pollution. Diesels pollute in different ways than gasoline engines.

Krzys

PS Your favourite Toyota and Honda do make nice diesels they do just not sell them here.

SLegacy99

If I am not mistaken diesel does not require ignition so ignition coils are not needed.

If you hate VW it is OK but diesels really use less fuel and amount of pollution depends on what you count as pollution. Diesels pollute in different ways than gasoline engines.

Krzys

PS Your favourite Toyota and Honda do make nice diesels they do just not sell them here.

Excuse me, a glow plug must be heated in order for the car to run.

I never said I hated diesels. I said I hated diesel Jettas. Why would you pay $7k more, when you could get a gasoline car, that runs cleaner, on cheaper fuel, and is faster than a Jetta TDI? It makes no sense. The 2006 Jetta TDI has the pollution score a car can get.

Wow - more engine tech - (again slightly OT)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121817

Mercedes-Benz rolled out the intriguing DiesOtto powertrain concept on Tuesday. It's basically a cross between a gas and a diesel engine that "requires no synthetic fuels but can be operated using conventional gasoline.

Excuse me, a glow plug must be heated in order for the car to run.

I never said I hated diesels. I said I hated diesel Jettas. Why would you pay $7k more, when you could get a gasoline car, that runs cleaner, on cheaper fuel, and is faster than a Jetta TDI? It makes no sense. The 2006 Jetta TDI has the pollution score a car can get.

A glow plug is only used as an aid for starting the motor.

Deisel is cheaper in these parts nowadays.

Somehow "coil pack" connects with "spark plug" in my head. I do not think that you need coils for glow plug. You just heat them with current no need for high voltage to generate the spark.

Could you translate it into English, please?

"The 2006 Jetta TDI has the pollution score a car can get."

Krzys

PS I see plenty of Jetta TDIs in MA even though they were not sold as new cars here (CA emissions). I suspect Jetta TDI still gives you better milage than comparable gasoline engine.

With your approach why buy car if bike gives you better acceleration and has better milage too. Hell you just need 2 tires instead of 4.

So you're saying you like girls cars and electrical problems?

Now I will be awful.

If you put comma in his sentence it looks like this

"So you're saying you like girls, cars and electrical problems?"

Liking girls is normal.

Cars less normal but very popular.

If he happens to be electrical engineer or technician the solving electrical problems pays his bills.

Krzys

PS Sense changes a little if you add apostrophe in the sentence

"So you're saying you like girls' cars and electrical problems?"

He might be alluding to Jetta's image and reliability.

So if you think grammar is not important wait until somebody misunderstands your ideas.

So you're saying you like girls cars and electrical problems?

The English department at your university of choice is going to love you.:lol:

I like girls, I should, considering I married one.

I do like cars, no qualms there.

I don't care for electrical problems much, but I do get to deal with them on a regular basis. Locomotives do malfunction every now and again, and it usually has something to do with the electrical system that feeds power to the traction motors, or the computers that control the traction motors. The diesel engines almost never give a problem unless a part breaks. Chalk the electrical problems up to something a hybrid drive system is prone too.

I used to own a Jetta, I have fond memories of that car. No squeaks, no rattles, no constantly failing fuel injectors. Overall it was a better car reliability wise than my Subaru has been.

As pointed out to you glow plugs are not required to make a diesel engine run. They are not always needed to even make one start, unless the ambient temperature is really low. They don't even have much of an electrical control system, I have seen diesel mechanics simply hook one up to a battery and it gets hot. Simple.

Archived