LegacyGT.com

The upcoming diesel engine...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A budy of mine has a Duramax, and he puts in some sort of additive. What I would want to see is the additive in the fuel from the pump if possible.

It seems odd they wouldn't have designed a newer diesel like that to handle the low sulphur fuel. They had that fuel in Europe for a long time so they must have figured out a way to design around it. It actually helps them in other ways.

Not any more. The latest European standards and upcoming standards are far more severe. Most CARB certified designs are being imported to Europe to satisfy the requirements, and the new saftey laws and other regulations from the EU are actually driving most car designs at this moment.

True, EU has limited CO2 emissions for cars to maximum 120g/km by year 2012.

:eek:

True, EU has limited CO2 emissions for cars to maximum 120g/km by year 2012.

:eek:

CO2 emissions are a completely different animal. There's no way to clean up CO2 emissions other than to burn less fuel. Every car that burns a gallon of fuel will produce the same amount of CO2.

CO2 emissions are a completely different animal. There's no way to clean up CO2 emissions other than to burn less fuel. Every car that burns a gallon of fuel will produce the same amount of CO2.

Burning less fuel per unit distance = less CO2 per unit distance.

Burning less fuel per unit distance = less CO2 per unit distance.

The combustion temperatures due to the higher compression also reduce CO2 output, but are what contribute to the NOX output and particulates.

The combustion temperatures due to the higher compression also reduce CO2 output, but are what contribute to the NOX output and particulates.

I'll repeat it again, there's no way to reduce CO2 emissions unless you burn less fuel (which implies less fuel over a given distance). The carbon and oxygen atoms don't just dissapear and they can't be cleaned or removed from the exhaust by anything that will fit in a car.

If what you're saying is that higher combustion tempertures mean less fuel is used for the same power output, then I agree.

Hmm..

I am surprised there is no development in a catalyst of some sorts for cleaning up CO2...

I don't know if Volvo still has it, but they had the PremAir coating on radiators for munching up ground-level ozone and converting it back into oxygen.

I don't know why stuff like this isn't standard on all cars. :(

Ozone is not the same as CO2 though. Ozone is a O3 whereas oxygen is usually in the form of O2. Carbon dioxide is a totally different chemical. CO2 could only be gotten rid of if it could be reacted with some other chemical in the context of a car's engine/exhaust. I'm not a chemist but to my knowledge, CO2 just doesn't lend itself to that.

pdw, diesel installations burn less fuel per unit distance. Diesel contain more energy than petrol and make better use of the small amount of oil we've got left to burn from this planets sources. I guess. :)

Let's just hope that Subaru will make the worlds greatest diesel engines and get credit for it.... that would be fun.

I'll repeat it again, there's no way to reduce CO2 emissions unless you burn less fuel (which implies less fuel over a given distance). The carbon and oxygen atoms don't just dissapear and they can't be cleaned or removed from the exhaust by anything that will fit in a car.

If what you're saying is that higher combustion tempertures mean less fuel is used for the same power output, then I agree.

Wait a minute, went and checked on it. You got it right. Corrected.

pdw, diesel installations burn less fuel per unit distance. Diesel contain more energy than petrol and make better use of the small amount of oil we've got left to burn from this planets sources. I guess. :)

Let's just hope that Subaru will make the worlds greatest diesel engines and get credit for it.... that would be fun.

Erito, I get that. I never said they don't. However, you're missing my point. Chemically, the only way you can produce less CO2 is to burn less fuel (logically, 'burn less fuel over distance' is a superset of the idea of 'burn less fuel').

The others are talking about way to scrub out or catalyze out CO2 and my point is, chemically, the only way to do that is to burn less fuel. That means either driving more efficient vehicles and/or driving less.

You are right that diesel has more energy per gallon than gasoline, but the difference is only about 10%. The bigger gain in efficiency is that the diesel combustion process is more efficient and that diesels work so well with turbos.

My point is, an engine can't be made cleaner for CO2 in the same way it can for hycrocarbons, NOX and particulates.

Also, chemically, a diesel engine will actually produce more CO2 for every gallon burned than a gasoline engine will for the very reason that diesel fuel contains more energy. Of courst, that's mitigated by the fact that diesel engines are more efficient.

Hmm..

I am surprised there is no development in a catalyst of some sorts for cleaning up CO2...

I don't know if Volvo still has it, but they had the PremAir coating on radiators for munching up ground-level ozone and converting it back into oxygen.

I don't know why stuff like this isn't standard on all cars. :(

How advanced are you with chemistry? I am not that advanced - I am software engineer.

But...

2 03 + cat -> 3 02

This is how your ozone converter works.

C02 is much harder. This gas is very stable. You can try to make soda

H2O + C02 -> H2CO3

but this is acid and I am not sure you need more acids in environment.

Krzys

PS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid

^ The major Valero refinery is completely out of action. It could be back to half capacity in a couple weeks but full production could take as long as next year.

There is also some data out indicating that ME oil production has fallen YOY.

^ I know nothing about Chemistry, other than the oil companies seem to have some romantic chemistry going on with higher gas prices.

$1.18/l here for regular gas today.

SOA/SCI: Hurry up and bring the diesel over!!!!!!!!

That's economics (and possibly collusion).

I am stunned. "cleaning up CO2" ? How much cleaner does it get? CO2 is the end product of all combustion processes, when you "clean up" stuff, you end up with water, CO2, and maybe NOx or SOx, that sort of thing.

Your catalytic converter works by reacting O2 with unburned hydrocarbons to make, you guessed it, CO2.

Some researchers are workign on CO2 sequestration, which is related to the equation below regarding H2CO3.

But sheesh, did you guys sleep through college chem or what? You might learn some chemistry in order to formulate intelligent opinions about these things.

CO2 and oil ending will be the defining topics of the current and next generation. Meanwhile american college students all over the country are falling asleep in chemistry.

That's just fine, enjoy the party while it lasts, but you will have missed your chance to have/express an opinion about it and maybe actually do something about it.

Economics and collusion, that's funny too. Wow. Where do you think all the crap we all buy comes from? Plastic doesnt grow on trees or fall from the sky.

How advanced are you with chemistry? I am not that advanced - I am software engineer.

But...

2 03 + cat -> 3 02

This is how your ozone converter works.

C02 is much harder. This gas is very stable. You can try to make soda

H2O + C02 -> H2CO3

but this is acid and I am not sure you need more acids in environment.

Krzys

PS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_acid

pdw, what about if we plant alot of very small trees in the tail-pipes and let the fotosynthesis do the work? :)

We could get co2 converted to something breatheable and also do tiny-lumbering now and then...

pdw, what about if we plant alot of very small trees in the tail-pipes and let the fotosynthesis do the work? :)

We could get co2 converted to something breatheable and also do tiny-lumbering now and then...

Toothpick grower.:lol:

All the ricers will clear cut the mini forests in an effort to reduce back pressure.

All the ricers will clear cut the mini forests in an effort to reduce back pressure.

Every time they hit their mad diesel VTEC yo! The pressure coming out of their fart cannon tree farm will up root all the trees and blow them away, like a little Tunguska event every time they mash the throttle. Fo shizzle!

(For those that like the use of mad VTEC yo fo shizzle, in the same context as a meteorite strike in Russia in 1908, give the mad props!)

• 2 weeks later...

BMW's diesels are fantastic. I've driven the 320d and 330d and i could handle that for daily driving with no problem, then i just need a petrol track RAT.

All SUV should be TDi, all taxis, and everybody that doesn't care too much about performance.

^ It's interesting to watch cabbies (and others) in Chicago. You can see that a green light has been on for a while and is getting tired but the cabbies (and others) just floor it and end up slamming on the brakes when the light turns red. Then you look up the road and see the next green light getting tired but the cabbies (and others) floor it again and then slam on the brakes. Then you look up the road again at the next tired green light and so on and so on...

• 1 month later...

Archived