LegacyGT.com

Possible KW Issue

praedet

Ok, so has anybody with the KWs experienced a noise when the car is turning and the suspension has to react very independently? For example, going around a turn and over a speed bump so that each tire takes the bump on its own?

I have been getting a "boing" sound as if the spring is resisting and then releasing routinely lately. It happens almost everytime I turn in my driveway, turning and going up the curb at the same time. Thoughts?:confused:

Ted

:spin:

I will let you know. I got my rears on tonight and I will do the fronts in the morning. You think it maybe your DMS top hats? Do you thinks your coil overs are set too close to the max height?I set my a 1/4" below max height just to be safe. The back is much higher in the back. I have about a finger and a half space between the fender. Instead of the wheel being 1/2" below fender.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Ok, so has anybody with the KWs experienced a noise when the car is turning and the suspension has to react very independently? For example, going around a turn and over a speed bump so that each tire takes the bump on its own?

I have been getting a "boing" sound as if the spring is resisting and then releasing routinely lately. It happens almost everytime I turn in my driveway, turning and going up the curb at the same time. Thoughts?:confused:

Ted

sounds like your springs are not preloaded enough or that your top hats have a gap or not seated properly.

Keefe

I have that noise... Its just the springs winding up. I have the DMS hats as well... The spherical bearing is not as smooth as the normal bearings on the OEM top hat. It only happens every once in a while.

You can't preload KW's the preload is determined by the helper springs.

I've had a similar NOISE ("boing") on my Cusco Coilovers. The issue was the front pillowball joint (spreical bearing)

I would get the sound only at low low speeds, pulling in/out of a parking space or drive ways...slow speed, full turn of the steering wheel.

At first the pillowball joint was fine and perfect, but over time dirt and the elements began to collect on the joint, so a combination of it drying out and dirt caused the sperical joint to bind. so the noise was the joint binding then releasing, but it would release and be transfered to the spring, thus producing the "boing" noise...

All it took cleaning out the pillow ball joint with some qtips, regreasing it and working the joint around...i have to do this procedure a couple times a year, usually when the season change.

Also...if untreated (for me), the binding of the ball joint/transfer into the spring/"boing" can be enough (over time) to undo (in my case) my preload & jam nut on my coilovers..

me = cusco zero2

hope that helps

~Sucka-Duck~

I just got mine in and went for a test drive. I got no boing. I use the washer that was under the stock top hat, Did you?
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

In the rear, yes. I used the washer. In the front I couldn't use the stock washer, but I supposedly didn't need it w/ the DMS plates. I am wondering if I need to figure that out now. It is only in very rare circumstances, but I don't like this type of thing :(

In the rear, yes. I used the washer. In the front I couldn't use the stock washer, but I supposedly didn't need it w/ the DMS plates. I am wondering if I need to figure that out now. It is only in very rare circumstances, but I don't like this type of thing :(

Did you leave the little spacer ring on the dampener shafts? When using JDM type top hats that have a thinner bearing it stays in and you reuse the tapered stock washer. If the top hat used is a bit thicker like the USDM top hats, then you remove the spacer ring so that the washer can be used. I really doubt that this would cause the problem you are experiencing. Try lubing the pillowballs as SnoDork suggested. I have never heard a similar complaint from any of my KW customers using stock type top hats.

Hmmm,

Well, the DMS Camber plates can't use the fat tapered spacer thing, so the bearing seat just sits right on top of the Top Spring seat. I talked to MSi during the install, and as long as the bearing had full range of motion in this set-up, it was fine. It had a little more than a mm of travel in all directions. The bad weather means that there is a lot more sand and gravel on the roads right now, so I will try taking a look at cleaning and lubing the bearring in the camber plate...

i have this issue with my Ksport coilovers, i get like a click/tick sound when i turn at slow speeds or when stationary. but once i get going it won't do it. guess that means i need to take my suspension off to clean it and lube it on the spherical ball joint? if i do.... damn that means another alignment..... i might was well do it when i need to sell it later this year so i only have to take it off once..... laziness ftw!

Problem found...

While I was doing the brake install, I checked to see what is happening. With the suspension completely unloaded, when the steering wheel is turned, the helper spring freezes and then releases from the plate between the helper and main spring creating the "boing" sound. It does this no matter what when unloaded

When loaded, if it is lightly loaded such as a low speed hard corner, especially if extended and not compressed, the same thing happens. So, it appears not to be a big deal.

Next Question: Has anyone else had their paint already start chipping off the springs for the KWs?

Problem found...

While I was doing the brake install, I checked to see what is happening. With the suspension completely unloaded, when the steering wheel is turned, the helper spring freezes and then releases from the plate between the helper and main spring creating the "boing" sound. It does this no matter what when unloaded

When loaded, if it is lightly loaded such as a low speed hard corner, especially if extended and not compressed, the same thing happens. So, it appears not to be a big deal.

Next Question: Has anyone else had their paint already start chipping off the springs for the KWs?

Interesting, mine are still very quiet.

I have not seen any paint chipping, but I doubt I would notice it.

My iON springs chipped like crazy.

Archived