LegacyGT.com

Indecision 2004!!! (Springs)... keefe, racecomp, apexjapan...

RobY

I am debating wether to get JDM GT Swift springs or STi springs for my LGT. I have read the rave reviews of the JDM STi Pink springs and they seem like a good option. However, Swift springs also intice me. Does anybody have a review and/or a comparison of these to the JDM STI pinks. In terms of ride: which one is stiffer? Predicatbility: Does it make the suspension predicatble or touchy? Overall performance: which will spank which on a track? Also If anybody has a complete JDM Spec-B suspension I am intrested.

From my past experience, a spring setup with stock shocks usually just reduces the roll.. it doesnt generate harshness until the shock blows (usually, you'll know). I havent done any review or install work on the Swift springs yet, nor know the spring rates or the actual overall drop of what the springs are compared to stock height. Swift is definitely more fit for track use (or better yet, smoother roads) than the STi springs, but the STi springs are more well rounded for everyday use which also includes the USA roads of potholes and bumps. I have been informed that the Swift springs does lower the car quite a bit (definitely more than the 15mm difference that the STi springs has). I'll have to look up more on the swift springs for you on a per case study.. I assume this will be on a Sedan GT 5MT? Keefe
Keefe

RobY - I went through the same decision process. I spent a week deciding between the same two spring sets, e-mailing Paul at AVO, looking up spring rates, lowering, etc. I ended up going with the STi Pinks (they are on their way! :D) for two reasons; First, the swifts lower the JDM model: front 25mm (almost an inch), rear 15mm (about a 1/2 inch). I was not really looking for a lowering spring as much as a performance upgrade so the STi's 15mm overall drop was more appealing to me. Plus I was not sure if the USDM suspension would result in a different amount of lowering (+ or -). Second, I know STi's reputation for quality, fit and performance, plus they are a division of FHI so they are built with the OEM specs in mind. Swift is a somewhat new name to me and I just felt more comfortable going with the STi's. Hope this helps...my STi pinks get installed on my Bilstein Spec-B's as soon as they get here! :devil:

[quote name='Opie']RobY - I went through the same decision process. I spent a week deciding between the same two spring sets, e-mailing Paul at AVO, looking up spring rates, lowering, etc. I ended up going with the STi Pinks (they are on their way! :D) for two reasons; First, the swifts lower the JDM model: front 25mm (almost an inch), rear 15mm (about a 1/2 inch). I was not really looking for a lowering spring as much as a performance upgrade so the STi's 15mm overall drop was more appealing to me. Plus I was not sure if the USDM suspension would result in a different amount of lowering (+ or -). Second, I know STi's reputation for quality, fit and performance, plus they are a division of FHI so they are built with the OEM specs in mind. Swift is a somewhat new name to me and I just felt more comfortable going with the STi's. Hope this helps...my STi pinks get installed on my Bilstein Spec-B's as soon as they get here! :devil:[/QUOTE] Really I wouldn't consider a 25mm drop in the front that much of a lowering spring. 15mm sounds about right for the rear. When you start lowering 1.5 inches or more then your gettin too caried away. Anything more than 2 inches will require a camber kit.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[QUOTE]In terms of ride: which one is stiffer? Predicatbility: Does it make the suspension predicatble or touchy? Overall performance: which will spank which on a track?[/QUOTE] These are generalizations, for the experience is with the JDM Legacy with firmer damper settings. 1) Stiffer - STi, actually, in terms of initial bump feedback. These two springs are different, in that the Swift springs are variable rate while the STi springs are constant rate. Variable rate springs have a "soft" initial section for absorbing small bumps, but after they are compressed past that section, they start firming up quickly. Very quickly, in the case of the Swift springs. STi springs are constant rate - no softer section, but the same strength throughout most of the compression. So the "firm" is there always, including for the initial bumps. My experience is that when compressed into the firm area of the Swift springs, they are a touch more firm and sport-oriented than the STi springs, which cannot be too hard because they are constant rate. 2) Neither spring setup is touchy or unpredictable. In fact, the Swift springs were very, very predictable and forgiving at the hill climb time attack I participated in a weekend ago. 3) Whichever one has better tyres will spank the other at the track. Or the better driver. Otherwise you won't likely see more than a few tenths of a second difference around the track between the two - the actual modification in terms of track racing is small. Most of the differences between the two boil down to variable rate vs. constant rate, and the difference in lowering. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url] [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']Really I wouldn't consider a 25mm drop in the front that much of a lowering spring. 15mm sounds about right for the rear. When you start lowering 1.5 inches or more then your gettin too caried away. Anything more than 2 inches will require a camber kit.[/QUOTE] 25.4 mm = ! inch.. 15mm is hardly anything. (you can load up your car with that weight and it will barely reach 15mm drop). Camber kits dont really come into play until the desired alignment is not to your liking ;) Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']what I was trying to imply was 2+ inches and giving you about 2 degrees of camber = fun!!! Keefe[/QUOTE] Well some of us don't have 8 sets of wheels..... ;) Either way I am possibly gonna go with the Swifts as I think their drop is more suited for the high front end of the legacy. It will even the car out more. Likewise, I'm not a firm believe of the shocks goin out in a blink of an eye.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Archived