LegacyGT.com

They sent the wrong wheels!

IwannaSportSedan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't go wrong with the Torques. The Rota formula mesh would look verrrry nice on your car also. My taste would get them in hyper-silver.

interesting you should say that...

I have been eyeballing the Hypersilver Torques, and have been contacted Subydude about a set.

The thing is, I always wanted a set in 18x8, rather than 17x8, but hypersilver has not been available, only medium steel grey, which isn't quite as striking.

Well, Subydude did a small custom order for a few people of 18x8, and I am trying to get my hands on an additional set, if possible. I have been following that process for some months, and for a while didn't have the money, when I did, I thought I wanted something sooner... but now I think, after all of this mess, I am ready to really get back to square one.

Others have been waiting for months and months for these wheels particularly, which is amazing to me. I hope I can get back in on it, and I guess we'll see if there is a set of them left over for me.

that is about it.

I like the 17" stockers. but the pics of my car lowered with 18"s looks better.

8" is good for 225/40 tires, or even 235/35s.

Hypersilver is a great color with most of the looks, and not all the bling of chrome, and is going to look fantastic on GRP.

that is about it.

I like the 17" stockers. but the pics of my car lowered with 18"s looks better.

8" is good for 225/40 tires, or even 235/35s.

Hypersilver is a great color with most of the looks, and not all the bling of chrome, and is going to look fantastic on GRP.

If you really want, you can run a 225/35 on an 8" rim. Personally, I'd stick with a 225/40/18 on a 7.5" rim on the LGT, but for an 8" rim, I believe that the 235/35 will be better, although taller.

I like the 18x7.5 because it and the tire, will be a little lighter - too wide is overkill and you will begin to compromise wet performance as you go up to 245 for example.

But 18's are more about looks than performance anyway, so it probably doesnt matter that much.

I was thinking about 235/35, which I would prefer, but the tires are HUGELY expensive.

Tire rack's ultra high perf tires in that size, Goodyear, Michelin, BFGoodrich, etc, are ALL over 200$ a tire to start. That is more expensive than the wheels themselves for a wear item.

On the other hand, General Exclaim UHPs in 225/40 are their recommended size for 8" wheels, and they don't offer a 235/35, only a 235/40-18, which I think might be too tall for Legacy fitment, if I remember recent comments to that effect.

The 225/40 Generals are less than $100 (and other brands of this size are well under $200, or even under $150, so it is a volume of sales issue that the rarer 235 size is so much higher...)

I have a local shop that will mount and balance new Exclaim UHPs for $400 even. Hard to beat that. I do hope they don't look narrow and stretched, but General's own stats say that their section width is 9" wide, and recommended up to rim widths of 8.5 inches. I may see if there are any 235/35s that they can do for a similar price, but I highly doubt there will be any.

I would have entertained 7.5" wide wheel, and if I had received the correct Tarmac IIs, that is what I would have on the car right now. The torques come in 8" wide, and that was one of my other style choices, so I guess that is that, plus the opportunity to get them in a limited run of hypersilver, rota's direct fitting dimensions, and not having to shell out a ton more cash than I am getting back from the Tarmac II debacle, was just too much in the plus column to ignore.

Arius or Heidfeld mesh, or some other great looking wheels would have been another few hundred dollars on top of my pending refund. Torques were additional $60, for a set of lugs and a t-shirt with the subydude special. Only downside is a two to three week wait until they arrive from the Phillippines, and get re-shipped to me.

With the torques only weighing about 20.5 lbs, and the General tires weighing about 22lbs, it might be a hair lighter than stock wheels and tires. IIRC stock wheels weigh nearly 22lbs, and stock tires are probably similar.

A pound or two less unsprung weight for good looking 8" wide 18" wheels, and good high-perf rated tires that are wider than stock, I think I can live with that. Maybe someday later, when the generals wear out, I can afford to re-visit some more expensive, wider rubber, and maybe the prices will have come down, relatively speaking.

I am not expecting the Exclaims to be the ultimate tire ever, but what I hear is that they are well made, and work well, quietly, and smoothly. Not bad for a price that will allow replacement a little sooner if necessary. I hear that they are made by Continental's factory in Germany, but are less expensive due to the less prestigious General name brand, and an effort to revitalize that brand name by getting tires sold at a value price.

If I hate them, I can save for other tires faster for not having spent $800, but rather half that on new tires now, when I am already spending 750 on the wheels at the same time. If they are as good as their reviews say, I'll be pleased.

For ~$1150 ready to roll, that ain't bad.

Hey Iwanna, you might also take a look at the Avon M Tech 500. It's also a great tire for the price, not quite up to the standard of the B'stone RE 050A, but close.

I don't know how much they are from tirerack in your exotic size :)

$400 is hard to beat for sure, though.

Archived