LegacyGT.com

Anyone familiar with Australian wine?

godwhomismike

I just picked up a bottle of Yellow Tail Merlot for my family to have with dinner tonight. Here's to hoping it's good.

I was torn between that and a bottle of OZ Shiraz. Well, if they don't like this, could always try the OZ Shiraz next time.

Anyone have any experience with the two of them?

Guest Gitster

Yes, I love Shiraz, its my favorite Aussie wine. Yellowtail is fine, but certainly not considered a super good wine.

I tried a Syrah at my local liquor store this past Saturday and did not like it at all. I wouldn't say a Merlot is a true Aussie Red, try the Shiraz next time. Its not necessarily expensive.

Yes, I love Shiraz, its my favorite Aussie wine. Yellowtail is fine, but certainly not considered a super good wine.

I tried a Syrah at my local liquor store this past Saturday and did not like it at all. I wouldn't say a Merlot is a true Aussie Red, try the Shiraz next time. Its not necessarily expensive.

It was a bit cheaper than the Yellow Tail. The Oz Shiraz was $8.50, and the Yellow Tail Merlot was $14.

Guest Gitster
Oh wow, I tried Greg Normans Shiraz, I think its a bit more expensive and it was very good. I typically spend $12-$20 on Red Wine. I love it but im not in a position to start a cellar just yet !

Guest JessterCPA

I love the Rosemont Shiraz. Yellowtail is definately fine, but I also would have gone Shiraz instead of Merlot, but that's just me.

Jesse

Yellowtail is fine for the $, Oz never tried. Neither has a reptation to be a really good wine.

Cheers to Mitolo, Amon-Ra....there a lot of really great Australian wines. Keep trying different wines at different price ranges and you will learn more about it.

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

Guest Gitster
FYI, syrah and shiraz are the same grape.

There are a ton of great wines from Australia and New Zealand.

Ahh interesting, it was a completely different taste, very strong, something Ive never really tasted compared to the Shiraz.

There is a wine store across the street from where I work. So, I plan on making use of it. I personally do not like beer, but I do have a weakness for wine.

As for the Yellow Tail, I haven't tried it yet. I look forward to having it tonight, along with some crackers and cheeses.

Guest JessterCPA

Just picked up 4 bottles of a Shiraz called "2 Up" at $11/per. My local wine guy recommended it for my Easter dinner, so I am looking forward to it. He usually nails the choices perfectly.

Jesse

We have had a bottle of YellowTail Shiraz in the rack since last June 14 when we hosted a post-funeral party (really). We didn't buy it, one of the deceased's family did. I am not sure if we will ever drink it. It will probably spend its next life as spaghetti sauce or stew.

I feel sorry for y'all on the east coast. Out here in CA, we can get an EXCELLENT bottle of red easily for $12-15. Almost anything in the market in the $20-50 range will make your jorts wet :redface: . I almost NEVER buy an import.

I am a zin fan myself, but will force down merlot or an occasional cab if it is on the lighter side.

I like beer. One of the saddest moments of my life was looking at the beer/wine list in a Manhattan restaurant and finding Sierra Nevada. Our little microbrew from 100 miles north of here is all grown up now and available in something like 46 states...:icon_cry: Too bad that good California wine isn't as readily available and as cheap for you.

-- Steve

If you like Shiraz you should try the Ravenswood Vintners blend (2004). Great taste and priced under $10 / bottle. I've been buying it by the case. On the 4th case now and still not tired of it.

Red wine is the best buzz for me. :spin:

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Guest Gitster

I just learned that Shiraz is named from a place in Iran that is known for art, music, and wine. Its popular in Australia for historical reasons, But not centrally an Australian wine. Its still good, and ill buy it.

But bottom line, buy Shiraz, or smoke pot and your supporting Terrorism. :eek:

Guest JessterCPA

Anyone noticing more & more Australian wine coming with the screw top?

I am liking it more & more. Wine snobs probably will disagree with me.

Jesse

Ditto - the wife and I are fans of Rosemount cab and shiraz/cab blend.

I love the Rosemont Shiraz. Yellowtail is definately fine, but I also would have gone Shiraz instead of Merlot, but that's just me.

Jesse

Any wine afficianado worth his salt would know that the screw top is the way to go. No chance of wine being corked, better seal, etc.

Many high end wines now only come with screw tops.

The cork on the bottle of Merlot I had earlier this week still let some air in. The next night I finished it off, but it lost much of its taste.

Archived