LegacyGT.com

Gumout vs. Techron

I've been putting in a bottle of Gumout with every oil change, but I have been noticing the infamous "rough idle". Should I switch to Techron? I've noticed that this has received a lot of praise on this thread. Would it be any better than Gumout?

I've used both and never noticed any difference or improvement from either on my modern fuel injected cars (which I take good care of). Back in the day with my old, neglected college cars with carbs or tbi fuel systems, they seemed to at least idle smoother after a treatment.

I pretty much now just use Techron based on other research I've done. I use it about once a year as a preventative medicine.

It may very well do nothing for a well maintained car, but $10 or so a year isn't a high price to pay for the chance it's preventing problems with fuel delivery.

• 6 years later...

IMO it's not a good idea to use these things all the time.

Most the name brand fuels have enough chemicals in them, you shouldn't need these type products.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived