LegacyGT.com

07 GT 5MT Transmission Issue...

Rvd3b0y

Just bought my 07 BSM GT in december...just hit 6900mi and while sitting in a drivethru with the car in neutral, the engine revs to about 4k and drops then started producing a very nasty burning fluid smell. No CEL, nadda. Heat is very visible from the hood scoop, but no temp meter change. On the way to the dealership, 1, 2, 3rd gears are very hard to shift into, and require irregular clutching, and when the gears engage, they "thunk" very hard and the car lurches forward violently. I've done no mods and drive mostly on the freeway around 70-80 mph. Dealership just gave me a loaner (05 base model leggy, AT bleh!) Anybody have an idea what's up? :eek:

• 1 month later...
Alright guys, sorry for the delay on the response, been moving and whatnot, but, I have some interesting updates. After having my car in the shop for several days, I went to pick it up to the dreaded words of "we couldn't find anything wrong" and when I get in my car it's clean and sparkly on the outside (even got some tar off my rims I was battling) yet when I get in, there is someone's coffee cup full of chew spit in my cup holder and greasy floormats. NOT PLEASED. needless to say I'll not be going back there. So since then, the problem has not resurfaced, until yesterday. Once again I get the horrible smell and after checking under the hood, see nothing wrong and don't smell a thing, it's only in the cabin. So I think, "hmmm...maybe a problem with the AC unit?" and after conferring with my wife, she reminded me of when her 01 gt had to have the headgaskets replaced. So I check the fluids and everything is cool until I look at the coolant. It's all cooked away with a nasty sludge at the bottom (note: was full 2 days earlier and before it happened the 1st time). And we also noticed that the heater wasn't working. So, now I'm wondering if anyone else had had similar issues, or heard of the new gt's having the good ol' headgasket problem...

Slave cylinder leaking fluid? Happened on my Miata, shifting became gradually more difficult until it was impossible, burning smell from the fluid probably burning up against some hot.

• 3 weeks later...
:whore: Would like to know if any local dealers were able to help you out in the PNW. Carter has not gotten very good reviews lately. :(
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• 10 months later...
OK, so it took forever for an update to this, but I've finally got a good one. So this problem has been kinda intermittant over the last year, every so often and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to a problem with the SI-Drive. I've had this looked at by several mechanics at a couple different stealerships and they can't find a thing. Unfortunately it's not readily reproducable. So, Monday night, driving home on the fwy, (going about 65mph) I switch into Sport mode, and suddenly my tach goes completely nuts, and my engine starts revving like mad. 2k-redline about 10 times (foot was not on the gas) I tried downshifting to see if it would help but it was too late, the clutch was now blown. Needless to say, she's back down at Auburn Subaru being looked at and for the time being I'm driving an 08 Outback (pretty nice, I see why you guys like wagons!) and waiting on a verdict.

OK, so it took forever for an update to this, but I've finally got a good one. So this problem has been kinda intermittant over the last year, every so often and I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to a problem with the SI-Drive. I've had this looked at by several mechanics at a couple different stealerships and they can't find a thing. Unfortunately it's not readily reproducable. So, Monday night, driving home on the fwy, (going about 65mph) I switch into Sport mode, and suddenly my tach goes completely nuts, and my engine starts revving like mad. 2k-redline about 10 times (foot was not on the gas) I tried downshifting to see if it would help but it was too late, the clutch was now blown. Needless to say, she's back down at Auburn Subaru being looked at and for the time being I'm driving an 08 Outback (pretty nice, I see why you guys like wagons!) and waiting on a verdict.

I'd hammer the crap outta them for not fixing it the first 4+ times you brought it into the stealerships without them fixing it. Basically tell them you dont want the car and they WILL replace it with a brand new one from the lot at NO COST to you... Especially considering that it could have caused you a life threatening accident on the freeway, it was brought up many times before and now who knows what other kind of damage it could have caused to your car, and the fact that if they couldnt find the problem in the first place, what makes you think that they will fix it properly this time AND... what if that is just a RESULT of a much bigger issue with the car and they are just prolonging the inevitable failure of something bigger, and when it would be out of warranty and then your really SOL...

Take em to the cleaners man... I'd be FURIOUS!

But thats just me ;)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I'd hammer the crap outta them for not fixing it the first 4+ times you brought it into the stealerships without them fixing it. Basically tell them you dont want the car and they WILL replace it with a brand new one from the lot at NO COST to you... Especially considering that it could have caused you a life threatening accident on the freeway, it was brought up many times before and now who knows what other kind of damage it could have caused to your car, and the fact that if they couldnt find the problem in the first place, what makes you think that they will fix it properly this time AND... what if that is just a RESULT of a much bigger issue with the car and they are just prolonging the inevitable failure of something bigger, and when it would be out of warranty and then your really SOL...

Take em to the cleaners man... I'd be FURIOUS!

But thats just me ;)

I love posts like this where someone proposes a sue-all type of setup and that you're owed money or property because of a "what if" situation. Boys, boys, legal matters are based off of actual damages. Not potentials.

Ok, so in the end, I didn't have to sue or beat anyone, but after checking things out, they found that the flywheel in the clutch had a huge crack in it, and had to be replaced. After some persistant bitching and doing my best to convince them that NO, in fact I don't drag race my car, and explaining in detail to like 10 people the issues that I have been having with the ECU tweaking out, they made a call to SOA and authorized a reflash of the ECU. This was the newest flash which addressed the throttle stutter, and let me tell you...WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! Not only is the new clutch nice, but the throttle response is 10x better and it seems as though my MPG has gone up as well. So for all of you out there with the stuttering problem, I HIGHLY reccomend the reflash and Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn will do it if you ask and are persistant. Thanks for reading, and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Archived