LegacyGT.com

05 STGII Manual LGT vs 06 STGII 5EAT LGT

srgdrum

Me and my pal TUNED200 went to the track today for a few 1/4 mile runs and I have to say I'm a little concerned about my 5EAT's performance.

While I'm an admitted total novice (first time ever at the track) my best time was 14.63. TUNED spanked me with a best of 13.30 My God, the dude LEFT me.

I was shocked.

We both have about the same mods. Both TDC off the shelf tunes. He has an AEM intake and I have a Perrin drop in. I think that and the tranny's are the only differences. Actually he has an aftermarket BOV too...

I brake boosted to about 3 grand even. My fastest pass was in sport mode letting the car shift itself.

Damn he smoked me!

Does this seem like an appropriate outcome for this? I know he's gonna be faster 'cuz I got the slushbox but I wasn't expecting nearly a second and a half faster.

My 60 time was terrible and his were better but it didn't account for that huge time difference.

Any input would be welcome!

Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hot damn! A 13.3 sounds right for a S2 5MT - and if you brake boosted, well, you did all you could.

We could argue about this all night, but if you look at one of my 1st posts here - it was expressing my disappointment with the 5EAT. It was just bland and boring. I guess I was at the time driving a 4EAT supercharged Grand Prix that ran a 13.8 (even if only FWD) - and the LGT was just sad. I mean, i never would have bought it. Next dealer had a 5MT in stock, and hooked form then on.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Does slow reaction time play any role here in these times? Curious to what the temp is also.

It should have been at least a 13.99 with such an aggressive launch at stage 2 levels :/

What were the conditions????

My best time back when the VF40 was still on the car was a 13.29 @ just a hair over 103mph.

Temps were in the high 60's humidity was around 70% with a fairly strong crosswind

That was on a protune TQ brk'd to 2800,with the following powertrain mods

Borla header

GReddy EVO2 catback

COBB UP & DP

K&N intake

Perrin TMIC

AVO actuator

unorthodox pulleys (stock diameter)

1 step colder plugs

If I remember correctly that was about it. Iamboon had basically the same setup in his sedan but was running on a 100oct Protune & he turned in a 13.01 @ just under 105mph.

With optimal weather conditions his car would have def. dipped into the 12's

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

What were the conditions????

My best time back when the VF40 was still on the car was a 13.29 @ just a hair over 103mph.

Temps were in the high 60's humidity was around 70% with a fairly strong crosswind

That was on a protune TQ brk'd to 2800,with the following powertrain mods

Borla header

GReddy EVO2 catback

COBB UP & DP

K&N intake

Perrin TMIC

AVO actuator

unorthodox pulleys (stock diameter)

1 step colder plugs

If I remember correctly that was about it. Iamboon had basically the same setup in his sedan but was running on a 100oct Protune & he turned in a 13.01 @ just under 105mph.

With optimal weather conditions his car would have def. dipped into the 12's

Temp was almost 80. Not sure of humidity. Your car had a bunch more mods but I swear this car was faster on the STG I map.

94 octane both of us. TUNED launched HARD. Pretty sure he flat foot shifts it too.

My trap speed was 93mph.

I'm gonna get alky and a protune before long. The hard part about that is there are no Subie tuners within 100 miles of me. Guess It'll just be a road trip to get it done. Damn all the money I've put in to this car it should be quicker. I just want a reliable DD that can get into the mid 13's. That's not too much to ask is it?

I Might flash the Cobb STGII map today and see how it feels. Check for a boost leak but I doubt that's the culprit. Got no associated sounds.

Man when I bought the car it ran great. It felt like a pretty quick little car. I went straight from Mazda and driving an MS6 to this LGT. Just liked the LGT better. The MS6 clutch was a PITA!

More later!

Thanks guy for your input.

temp was in the 80's, hum was in the 80+% range.

I launched at 5K, slipped clutch and pulled a 1.866 60' on stock tires and suspension.

ran the 1/4 in at 13.33@102.55

the warm temps are what i think held me from making a 12.99 pass.

Scott 5eat walked me on the hywy back when i was stock and he was stg 2. stock I went 14.2@96. I think his car can do a high 13 as is

temp was in the 80's, hum was in the 80+% range.

I launched at 5K, slipped clutch and pulled a 1.866 60' on stock tires and suspension.

ran the 1/4 in at 13.33@102.55

1st pas was a 13.5@101

then a 13.4@100

then another 13.4@100 both 13.4's had the same 60', a 1.94

the warm temps are what i think held me from making a 12.99 pass.

Scott 5eat walked me on the hywy back when i was stock and he was stg 2. stock I went 14.2@96. I think his car can do a high 13 as is

double post with editing ftw

Maybe if I brake boosted to 4500 but I just don't want to risk the tranny damage. I think I gotta make some mods to find my happy place again.

Next time I declare shenanigans Brian!

I have brake boosted my Buick thousands of times. Go for it. It won't hurt the tranny. Just makes a little heat in the converter, but 3-10sec of it won't hurt anything. Just let it cool down after the run.

Build some boost and let'er rip. Chit, I'd even use the E-brake to help hold back da-powrrr.

Your tranny can hold your full torque load, and then some! Why stop at just 1/6 power when launching? Go up to the point you start creeping forward (pushing), then bump your car to the second bulb, fully-staged..and your ready.

watch out though. a bunch of lgt 5EAT owners have blown tranny things resulting in $1700 dollar repair bills- all becasue of launching

Word. I've been here long enough to hear some 5EAT horror stories!

I just pulled my drop in filter out and looked at it. Not too dirty. Cleaned it anyway.

How much boost should a TDC Stg II car make? Around 19lbs right? I'm gonna hook up my AP (No boost gauge) and see what I can hit. I swear I made more boost stage I. I think the highest I ever saw was 16.5 on this map.

I'm gonna reflash in a bit and see what happens.

If I get nothing out of this my wife's gonna be pissed! I have to have a faster car!!!

Thanks everyone!

Don't give up.

Autos and turbos and made for each other.

I'm never getting another manual suby again. I've had three wrxs and one sti.

It's gotta be something simple.

When are you hitting the track with your wagon? I expect at least mid 12's :)

Word. I've been here long enough to hear some 5EAT horror stories!

I just pulled my drop in filter out and looked at it. Not too dirty. Cleaned it anyway.

How much boost should a TDC Stg II car make? Around 19lbs right? I'm gonna hook up my AP (No boost gauge) and see what I can hit. I swear I made more boost stage I. I think the highest I ever saw was 16.5 on this map.

I'm gonna reflash in a bit and see what happens.

If I get nothing out of this my wife's gonna be pissed! I have to have a faster car!!!

Thanks everyone!

Instead of just checking your boost why not just use ecuexplorer and datalog. That way you will know if your car is happy :).

I hit over 17 pounds consistently on my tdc tune :)

One more thing, do you have the ap 2005.5? If you do there is a possibility that the ap is not reading your realtime map which *could cause the lower boost*

carry on

When are you hitting the track with your wagon? I expect at least mid 12's :)

You must call when you go. I'll do the same. I have a new corvette I wanna try out, tonz and tonz of changes to my wifes wagon, again more changes over the winter for my Buick...looking for some 9s:) with that(full weight, A/C even)

I have another subaru with a roll-cage and a drag wing, Hydra ECU, Nitrous, dogbox, all sorts of fun stuff, huh? Built EJ22

And a 24' enclosed trailer and f150 to tow my garbage in. (Black truck, white trailer) We're gunna look pro, even if our chit blows up.

I fix my own trannys in Subarus, and have PLENTY of extra drivetrain parts. I'll show you what a grocery getter can do this summer.

I ran 11.2 at VPM in 2003 with my 2nd WRX....stock engine! The next session I tried it, a rod snapped and 1st and 2nd gear broke at once. That was two engines ago.

285-0777 Scott

DO NO LAUNCH ABOVE 2800............unless your'e ready to install a new tranny!!

I do it all the time. Why do you say that? A couple mis-haps in thousands and thousands of cars?

Who said $1700? What's that for? New converter? (blown tranny "things"LOL) Maybe a Spacely Spocket, or a Coggswell cogg?

I seen a few center diff threads, maybe a front diff, a few bearings here and there......

Archived