LegacyGT.com

New Exhaust Tips on Stock Mufflers - Let me know what you think?

mschmidt

All,

I installed a stage 1 Hog-zawst system (12-2 copper wire method) this weekend, and when I was done I noticed the tips were a little off. So, I did some tweaking to the mufflers (hammer method to hangers) and ended up getting them centered, but one of the tips rotation was still off. The next step was to loosen the bolts that hold the tips on, but I ended up snapping both bolts off in the process. It was late Sunday night and I did not have a tap handy to try and fix it... if it would even be possible. Thus, I cut some straight 3.5" 304L tubing (already chromed) today at work. They slid over the stock inside tube and brackets without much work. Pics are below... let me know what you think before I weld them on. A short video is below of what the exhaust sounds like right now... you can definitely hear the exhaust leak when I go under the car... expected as that is exactly what Hog-zawst is. I'm on the fence if I will keep that or not as well. Not bad for a $0 investment in my opinion... yea, I know I need to clean my car!

Mike

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC00562.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC00568.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC00556.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC00565.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC00573.jpg

Movie Link: Click Below

MOV00596.flv video by mschmidt - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/MOV00596.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vidmg@@AMEPARAM@@mg@@AMEPARAM@@v238/mschmidt/MOV00596

I will look into the angle cut tomorrow... may be kind of hard since I cut these in a parting tool on a lathe to get a clean edge.

I may do the black paint as well... my concern is doing the paint prep properly. That would take some time I assume? I would hate to have peeling paint. The inside of the tips should fill in with carbon in no time.

The tips are 7 7/8" long

I like. In fact, sort of what I have been envisioning.

+1 to gireland's comments.

And when they get black inside they will be even better.

In fact, cut a couple more just like than and let me know how much :)

Seriously, I might be interested in buying a couple.

paint prep would probably be a matter of taking the mufflers off the car, scrubbing them with a scotchbrite or something, cleaning them up with degreaser, and spraying them with a high-temp black paint that is suited for bare metal. (basically a paint that is pretty close to a flat black primer, itself)

I would think that would be all it takes.

7.75".... Huh. I have my eye on some magnaflow mufflers, with integrated tips, that are 7" long, and angle cut....

I now wonder if they will be long enough for the top (longest part) of the tip to be nearly flush with the bumper cutouts...

I may have to do some more measuring, I guess.

Actually, I am hoping to put on Magnaflow 14829 mufflers.

http://www.hottexhaust.com/images/Product_Images/StreetSeriesWTips/14829.jpg

The muffler bodies are 14" long (5x8 oval cross section), the tips are 7" long.

They have no hangers, nor bends to connect to the Y-pipe I have, so that will be fabricated by an exhaust shop.

I am hoping that the mufflers can be set in place so that the top of the tip is just beyond the cutout in the bumper, and the back wall of the muffler doesn't touch the inside of the cutout. I am going to have to find some time, and a dry place to crawl under there with a straight edge or a tape measure, and do some figuring.

If that magnaflow isn't going to work, i'll probably just buy some non polished mufflers, with separate tips, and have it welded to the correct dimensions, and paint the mufflers black. I am considering doing that anyway... but I might leave them polished. I haven't decided yet.

I made one extra set of the straight tubes and started to work on the angle cut but never finshed them. If anyone is still interested, let me know.

Mr. Ed - I planned on keeping the OEM tips for awhile just to make sure there are no problems... what's your offer?

Vet - Let me know if you still want them... just pay for shipping and there yours. The straight cut has some burrs on it, but should be fine. I can take better pics if you want.

SeeeeeYa - You have 2nd dibs

I hate to go get quotes... I am really busy with an infant at home. I am giving them away for FREE... just pay the shipping. It can;t cost that much... maybe $10... I don't know.

Reference the pictures above for how much they stick out.

I hate to go get quotes... I am really busy with an infant at home. I am giving them away for FREE... just pay the shipping. It can;t cost that much... maybe $10... I don't know.

Reference the pictures above for how much they stick out.

Since I have a wagon I'm thinking they may not stick out enough for my taste. That's my main reason for wanting them. So I'll pass, thanks for the offer though.

• 4 weeks later...

I like em.

Figureing I had nothing to lose since this would be reversible in minutes (sort of like Hawgzaust, eh?) I installed the tips. Mike had shipped them to me packed like valuable museum works of art :) and they were impressive all on their own; heavy, shiny and ...... big. At first I was skeptical, but holding them against the stockers showed them surprisingly smaller in the horizontal and only minutely larger vertically, being circular rather than oval. Hmmmmmm.

His first post warned me but I broke one of the bolts anyway. I don't do that! But the bugger broke and I had to use my trusty dremel and carbide bit to 'eat' the rusted piece out. The three other bolts came out unscathed.

My first try at sliding them on failed, too tight. After filing off the sharp burr on the stock inner tip a firm push had them up against the muffler. Another hmmmmmm.

A hole in the right spot for the upper bolt had them both firmly mounted. The very slight offset due to using only the upper bolt slanted the tips a tad upward. Looking at them doesn't reveal that and the look is perfect for the car's lines.

Next came centering the tips. The slightly lower driver's side tip had always bothered me, a difference seemingly invisible to my wife. To tell the truth I'd tried many times to equal them and failed. It was the tip about bending the hanger that did it. Finally!!

My wife's first comments were hedged skepticism, but she was certain on one thing. Paint the insides and call her to look at them again. I did. However, that gap between the original oval inner and the circular tip disturbed me. Out came the black silicone. That done, and painted again they were done. Centered, painted, and finished. As I have done the many times I've had the mufflers off I held off on the black paint to the muffler. The slight showing of the lower muffler body had a somehow blending effect on the car's lines. I can always do that later if I ever make up my mind.

It is extremely hard to modify the original, beautiful, Legacy design. For me that has been only removing the badgeing and the lowering that came with the Teins, a byproduct if you will of a handling mod. Whatever. Everyone likes how it looks. :) But now that a neighbor one block away (! can you believe it, rarely seen around here and suddenly one a block away!) got a limited off eBay I have wanted some distinction. This does it.

My GT is not stock. It is far faster than it looks and certainly far faster than all but a few like it, at least in this part of the world. A sleeper, until ......

People have admired it and asked, 'what kind of car is that', apparently not familiar with a Subaru emblem, the only marking left. Now it is 'different' in the way cars are different that are not stock. The almost-too-perfect tips of every other Subaru are gone. I am very pleased.

Thanks Mike

Glad to hear it worked out... I noticed a little discoloration today on the surfaces were I cut the tips. Likely from using a carbon steel parting tool, but could also be some surface oxidation which is common with some stainless. I took some 240 grit sandpaper and it came right off. I never found the need to paint them inside; they carboned up fairly quick. They still look new.

• 1 month later...

Update :)

Even if I replace the exhaust system I am going to devise a way to keep these tips. Although I don't quite understand the departure from my normal outlook these somehow fit my car's personality.

Lowered and with that hood scoop the LGT's persona is beautifully and quietly serious. From the side the lines are perfectly harmonious, but from behind.... the view virtually everyone sees.... the larger plain tips accent the badgeless facade and ask for answers.

Archived