LegacyGT.com

Outback specific Megan Racing coilovers due in next week!

Boostjunkie

EDIT: GB Thread here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57222

Just got word that the Megan Racing Outback specific coilovers will be here next week. The original discussion thread about these coilovers is here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41524

Basically they are a longer, slightly more comfort biased version of the MR LGT coilovers. They feature 32 way dampening adjustability, monotube dampeners, independent ride height and spring preload adjustability, and will allow an OB to be run at stock height or lowered to LGT height. They will also fit an LGT just fine for folks looking to retain stock ride height but improve handling without any great ride penalty.

The primary differences from the LGT coilovers are that the OB coilovers retain the stock rubber isolated top hats and they feature inverted front dampeners. While you lose the camber plates up front, retaining the stock top hats adds a nice measure of isolation to impact harshness.

The spring rates are indentical to the LGT coilovers at 6kg/mm front and 8kg/mm rear, but with approximately 15% softer dampening rates and valving setup for increase ride comfort. Make no mistake though, the handling improvements are still very signifigant.

MSRP is $1100, which is only $50 more than the LGT coiliovers and is basically just due to the use of inverted front dampeners which are more expensive to produce. My price for LegacyGT.com members: $995!:) Look for a GB thread to be posted soon with some additional price breaks. The initial shipment is only 15 sets, so PM me if you are interested. Given the amount of interest expressed in the original thread, I expect these to go pretty quick.

You are saying these could be used on a Legacy too to retain stock ride height? Don't the coilovers for the LGT get pretty close to stock height? Even if they do this does sound interesting since the roads in NJ are teh suck so having something that uses stock rubber top hats would be nice. When you say the handling improvements will be significant is that for the Outback or for the LGT too?

You are saying these could be used on a Legacy too to retain stock ride height? Don't the coilovers for the LGT get pretty close to stock height? Even if they do this does sound interesting since the roads in NJ are teh suck so having something that uses stock rubber top hats would be nice. When you say the handling improvements will be significant is that for the Outback or for the LGT too?

The MR LGT coilovers allow a pretty close to stock ride height in the rear and a little more than stock height in the front. The OB coilovers set as low as they can go will have an LGT at stock height. The handling improvement on an LGT is still substantial. I ran a prototype set on my car for a couple days and found the ride was noticably smoother than the LGT coilovers and they still offered almost all of the handling gains. After a 60 mile drive my wife asked me: "can we keep these?" Sorry honey, they don't belong to me and I won't run my car at stock height :lol:. Many people don't want to lower their cars, but want better handling and the OB coilovers are a great fit for LGT owners who want that.

what parts and how many do i need to complete the setup?

do i need the washer?

could you please list the numbers.

thanks

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/423426/strut.jpg

Just reuse your stock parts. If you are dead set on buying new top hats, then all you need from the diagram above is 17 and 18.

Just reuse your stock parts. If you are dead set on buying new top hats, then all you need from the diagram above is 17 and 18.

reason i posted is because people were asking about the washer.

i wouldn't want to put them in and then find out i need to take them off for a 2 cent washer.

if i want to put them together as a full unit i will also need the center nut.

I'm a little particular with the parts on the 3.0r. i would like to keep the oem setup fully intact just in case any special parts disappear from the subaru inventory in the future.

minor visual parts were already changed from the 2005 model year.

will you be offering to put those parts on?

how much extra?

The MR LGT coilovers allow a pretty close to stock ride height in the rear and a little more than stock height in the front.

Damn...I don't necessarily want to lower my car but would like to lessen the look of the rear end sag and improve handling. Sounds like these would do the handling part without being harsh on our crappy NJ roads but I don't think I could like with the front up any higher than it already is.

Damn...I don't necessarily want to lower my car but would like to lessen the look of the rear end sag and improve handling. Sounds like these would do the handling part without being harsh on our crappy NJ roads but I don't think I could like with the front up any higher than it already is.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. MR has LGT coilovers and now the new OB coilovers. The LGT spec coilovers can lower a LGT in to the weeds at their lowest settings, or roughly keep the stock height in the rear and potentially raise it a bit higher than stock on the front. The OB spec coilovers installed on an LGT and set at their lowest height will keep an LGT at stock height. Of course you can raise up the rear end if you like, all the way up to stock OB height.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. MR has LGT coilovers and now the new OB coilovers. The LGT spec coilovers can lower a LGT in to the weeds at their lowest settings, or roughly keep the stock height in the rear and potentially raise it a bit higher than stock on the front. The OB spec coilovers installed on an LGT and set at their lowest height will keep an LGT at stock height. Of course you can raise up the rear end if you like, all the way up to stock OB height.

I would like to lower my OB into the weeds!;)

Did you take any pictures of these on your car so we can see how it sits? I need some coilovers bad and I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Did you take any pictures of these on your car so we can see how it sits? I need some coilovers bad and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Don't have many pics of the OB coilovers on my car, but here is one that should give everyone an idea of what the OB coilovers look like on an LGT:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/pic3.jpg

^ That's lower than stock...

Not by much, maybe .5" at most. The OB coilovers work nicely on an LGT, they are just not meant for someone who wants to drastically lower their car. I guess they do allow a very modest drop. Here is another pic:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/pic2.jpg

Watching closely. If the first set sell out, will there be a second round?

I want to see what the masses say about the coilovers before I get them, plus I am not sure what'shappening with my job right now and financing...

How about this... just buy them!;):rolleyes::lol: Then you won't have to worry if they are a limited run item. If you decide to wait on opinions forever you'll probably be selling the car by the time the "perfect" solution comes along...:p In the meantime everyone else will be enjoying a great handling and riding car.

Exactly what do you define as "really mixed reviews"? I've sold every set of MR LGT coilovers in existence and I have only had one customer express any degree of dissatisfaction. He found them a bit too firm for his tastes, although he admitted that his wife even liked the sportier ride but that it was a little too much for him. I have had one warranty claim for a dampener that made a little noise, but otherwise functioned fine. Based on the number out there on customer cars, I would estimate that at least a quarter million miles have been put on MR LGT coilovers cumulatively. That's a pretty solid track history IMHO.

You are paranoid. I've said this a bunch of times before, but coilovers are simply shocks with a threaded body. Nothing more, nothing less. By basic design they are no better or worse for daily driving than fixed perch struts/springs. Most tend to be calibrated to land on the handling side of the handling/ride compromise, but that is not necessarily the case. In the case of the MR OB coilovers, they were calibrated not to be a hardcore track suspension, but more like a factory sport suspension.

As for service life, the life span of dampeners used in fixed perch struts and coilovers should be equivilent, all other things being equal. In the case of the MR coilovers, replacement dampeners are $75. Stock KYB will run you far more, so in the long run the MR's can potentially have lower operating costs. Speaking of cost, I will gladly charge you $2000 so you can feel like you spend the "right" amount of money.:icon_wink:lol: Everyone else can pay $1000 and keep the other $1K in their pockets.

Archived