LegacyGT.com

Location to fill ATF fluid for 5EAT. can't find!

What do you use to remove the drain plug on the 5EAT?

Is it an allen head or Torx head wrench? What size?

I'm not sure what everyone else's 5EAT's drain plug requires, but mine are the following:

- T70 Torx for the front differential

- T50 or equivalent sized Allen for the transmission

So special order it. It'll be cheaper and probably faster than any more hunting for it. If everywhere you tried can get it but doesn't stock it, you can bet it's because nobody buys them. I doubt aywhere else in the area will have them, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I changed my transmission fluid a week ago. No flush, just drain and re-fill (plus cooler install).

The actual amount of ATF fluid I used was about 4.5 qt.. So, about 55% remains in a torque converter. (Total 10 qt to fill trany by the manual).

There are no bad people, just differeent.

So your best bet for an actual change is to do that spill & fill, drive around the block, then do another spill & fill. Three or four times doing that will come close to really changing the fluid. You're never going to get all of the old fluid out without doing an actual flush, but you should at least try to add 10 quarts total even if not all of the fluid being removed is the old stuff.

^^ Yes, something like this..

Only not after driving around the block..

I plan to change ATF fluid every oil change, for a 2-3 changes.. it will prolong the "cleaninig" period, but still should work OK - I will have pretty clean ATF in 7K miles..

That's actually a good plan. Since you're changing less than half the fluid each time, I'd do it four or five times. Twice won't even change all 10 quarts. Three times will bump you past 10, but that's over 7,000 miles. I'd throw a couple more on top of it to make it something closer to a "change," even though it's over 14,000 miles.

This is off-topic, but anyway:

Sometimes members mention "Vacation Pics" as a source of usefull information, like how to do somethnig, etc..

Where is this vacation stuff? I could't find it using a search, nor by topic name...

And yes, i am a new guy here..:-)

While on the topic of ATF flushes.....I spoke with a shop about doing a flush and they said their machine has to have 16 qts. to work even though I only need to put 10 in the trans. Does that sound right?

It's used to flush the system. You're not doing a simple spill and fill, you're flushing it. Look at the amount of water in a toilet bowl- it's only a small fraction of the amount of water used to flush it.

You don't have to buy the "extra" quarts at all unless you want to change the fluid in a way that actually cleans things out.

Thanks! Good explanation.

The shop has the BG Service where they will clean it, flush it, put the additive in, and fill it.....so I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy 16 qts:mad:

• 1 month later...
I just installed a trans cooler last weekend and was surprised to find that I didnt' need to add any trans fluid...I had my trans flushed about 3K miles ago at about 33K.

I had the same question before I started so I certainly don't think it's a stupid question. I never figured it out since I didn't need to top it off but I didn't think I would pour it down the dipstick hole. If you look on the passenger side of the trans there is a yellow plug directly into the trans housing, I thought that was probably where I would fill. I think it would be almost impossible to fill through the dipstick hole. Sounds like a huge mess in the making.

If after you install the cooler you need to top off, I'd pop out that other plug and see if that looks more appropriate than filling through the dipstick.

That fill port looked like it would be the correct one, until I read the text near the port. It is the differential fill port. I don't know for sure, but couldn't problems arise if you put 5EAT tranny fluid in there? I added a little fluid via the dipstick tube while installing my tranny cooler.

I found this thread and ran across that statement while doing some searching.

FWIW - each time I drain & fill my ATF - it was almost exactly 3.5 quarts. I did it twice for the 30k service, but I'm thinking of doing it every 10-15k miles from now on..also:

Front Differential Drain Plug = T70 Torx bit

Automatic Transmission Plug = 8mm Allen

Rear Differential Drain Plug = 10mm Allen

Passenger side near firewall = Front Differential Dipstick/fill location

Driver side near firewall = Automatic Transmission Dipstick/fill location

Rear Diff Fill plug is above & to the front of the drain plug

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

• 1 year later...

Archived