LegacyGT.com

Location to fill ATF fluid for 5EAT. can't find!

Trying to find the fill cap/tube location to add transmission fluid on Legacy GT 5EAT, no luck so far.. Seems to be stupid question, but I can't find it.

Going to install transmission cooler this weekend, need to top level.

Thanks!

There are no bad people, just differeent.

You just pour the ATF fluid down the dipstick tube.

O Man... Thank you. I was suspected this, but it always better to ask than do something wrong.

I just installed a trans cooler last weekend and was surprised to find that I didnt' need to add any trans fluid...I had my trans flushed about 3K miles ago at about 33K.

I had the same question before I started so I certainly don't think it's a stupid question. I never figured it out since I didn't need to top it off but I didn't think I would pour it down the dipstick hole. If you look on the passenger side of the trans there is a yellow plug directly into the trans housing, I thought that was probably where I would fill. I think it would be almost impossible to fill through the dipstick hole. Sounds like a huge mess in the making.

If after you install the cooler you need to top off, I'd pop out that other plug and see if that looks more appropriate than filling through the dipstick.

You only lose a little bit of ATF when installing a cooler, and the cooler and additional lines don't hold much fluid either so you only need to add a small amount. Unless you have a steady hand and good aim you'll need a funnel to pour fluid into the tube without getting as much on the garage floor as down the tube.

That yellow plug on the passenger side is the dipstick to check the fluid level of your front differential (on 5EAT cars).

O Man... Thank you. I was suspected this, but it always better to ask than do something wrong.

Yeah, sorry, it's just there are so few cars out there can are filled by anything other than the check tube, Wall mart sells cheap funnels for filling the trans. Good luck!!!:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Thank you, guys.

Today I went to a dealer to get ATF fluid, (planned to get only 1 quart). But after they told me it cost $3.65 per quart (I was expecting to pay $6-$7), I bought 5 quarts.. So I am going to drain all fluid, clean pan/magnets, and fill.. No flush this time, it still smells/looks like new fluid. Only because I bought it used from a dealer (15K, with catless uppipe and lachute DP installed by previous owner - now I have 30K on it), I am not sure what did he put in transmission.. It is better to refill it anyway than just top level..

BTW, do I need to have new gasket, or some sort of sealer will be enough?

Thank you, guys.

Today I went to a dealer to get ATF fluid, (planned to get only 1 quart). But after they told me it cost $3.65 per quart (I was expecting to pay $6-$7), I bought 5 quarts.. So I am going to drain all fluid, clean pan/magnets, and fill.. No flush this time, it still smells/looks like new fluid. Only because I bought it used from a dealer (15K, with catless uppipe and lachute DP installed by previous owner - now I have 30K on it), I am not sure what did he put in transmission.. It is better to refill it anyway than just top level..

BTW, do I need to have new gasket, or some sort of sealer will be enough?

If you plan to drain and refill, you are definately going to need more than 5 quarts. Check your capacities in the back of your owners manual. The 5EAT hold just over 10 quarts of ATF.

I'm in the same boat, just bought my LGT used with 26k on it. Now I am approaching 30k and am getting ready to do the tranny flush myself. But I am going with the full flush, because like you, I'm not sure exactly if the previous owner or the dealer I bought it from ever switched out the ATF. If they did, and you end up just draining and refilling with a different brand or type than what was in there, you are going to be mixing your new ATF with whatever was leftover of the old ATF in the torque converter. That would not be good. Might as well go with the complete flush so you know exactly what's in there.

If you plan to drain and refill, you are definately going to need more than 5 quarts. Check your capacities in the back of your owners manual. The 5EAT hold just over 10 quarts of ATF.

10 qt? this is impossible. You'll need over 10 qt if you'll do a flush yourself, just to do a fill-through flush, so about 50% of the oil you put in there will be out...

But I'll check the manual.. :)

Do you plan to open/clean a pan? Just trying to understand if I need to have a new gasket for a pan...

Hm.. Just found that they gave me ATF-HP/PSF fluid.. Looks like this is for 4 EAT, not 5.. Probably this is why it was so cheap.. (I've told them - legacy GT 5 speed auto!)

Now it more reasonns for me to do as much as I can myself, but not to go to a subaru service...

Update: it says for auto transmission (including 5EAT) and power steering...

So, iti is something new. Same look as ATF-HP bottle, just PSF addition. Good for power steering also.

Just looked at the manual again and the AT fluid capacity for the 2.5L turbo is 10.4 quarts. Now as for how much of that sits in the torque converter, I'm not sure. Not going to clean my pan though. Maybe at 60k. Right now everything looks pretty clean so not going tear everything apart until it has some more miles on it. If you do do the pan, I would buy a new gasket just in case. Yes, make sure you get 5EAT fluid from the dealer.

Hm.. Just found that they gave me ATF-HP/PSF fluid.. Looks like this is for 4 EAT, not 5.. Probably this is why it was so cheap.. (I've told them - legacy GT 5 speed auto!)

Now it more reasonns for me to do as much as I can myself, but not to go to a subaru service...

Update: it says for auto transmission (including 5EAT) and power steering...

So, iti is something new. Same look as ATF-HP bottle, just PSF addition. Good for power steering also.

You're good to go with the ATF-HP/PSF fluid.

I ordered 14qts from subaruparts.com and all the bottles were labeled accordingly. Also, they have the same part number as the previous ones that were labeled ATF-HP.

Just looked at the manual again and the AT fluid capacity for the 2.5L turbo is 10.4 quarts. Now as for how much of that sits in the torque converter, I'm not sure. Not going to clean my pan though. Maybe at 60k. Right now everything looks pretty clean so not going tear everything apart until it has some more miles on it. If you do do the pan, I would buy a new gasket just in case. Yes, make sure you get 5EAT fluid from the dealer.

Ops... Ok, thank you! definitely I'll need more fluid. At least 8 qt..

BTW, how you'll do a flush? Drain, fill it full, then run engine, and flush out one quart, fill up one quart with new fluid, run again, flush 1qt again, and again..? This is I know how to do this, just curious to see how you will do.

There are others on here who have explained methods of self-flushing but IMO it is best to go have a shop do it. Most automotive service centers that do oil and fluid changes have a flushing machine that purges all the old fluid out and replaces it with new.

I see visions of a dead 5EAT in someone's future. I know how to find my fill tube in the dark with just one hand, but I still go to a pro for transmission service. It isn't that expensive.

I see :rolleyes:

They (service) quoted me for $200 for a flush.. This is why I ma not going to do a flush done by a service, nor myself, for now. Probably on 60K I will go to a pro for a flush, but now (30K) I'll do a drain/fill only.

And it will be really hard to do something wrong by just drain and fill it up.

I've read a lot how service can screw up you car... I trust myself more than those "trained" guys, even if I'll do for a first time.

I see visions of a dead 5EAT in someone's future. I know how to find my fill tube in the dark with just one hand, but I still go to a pro for transmission service. It isn't that expensive.

+1 Never EVER run anything without lube.:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

A tranny flush is hard to screw up. I know of one guy who did it. We'd had the machine less than a week and the second time he used the machine he didn't tighten one of the lines well enough. Screwing up something simple like this is fine, because it's easy to figure out what happened if you got a flush at Cletus' Garage a week ago and now your transmixer is dry and welded itself together. You get a new one on Cletus' dime. There's no phantom electrical problem, no mysterious ticking noise. You either have fluid or you don't. It's a safe procedure to have done.

Archived