LegacyGT.com

Gas station pumps

So it occurred to me this morning while pumping gas that I was being cheated. If you fill up at a pump where it only has one nozzle for all 3 grades, you are not necessarily getting what you paid for. Think about it, if someone pumps 87 before you, the hose all the way back to the valve still contains the previous grade. So that first, say 1/4-1/2 gallon you just paid for is really 87 not 91. Every tank you pump is not quite 91 octane.

While this is pretty insignificant, just something to think about next time you are at the pumps.

I think you might get some of what the person has before you but no where near 1/4 gallon.

I agree.

Ever notice a new gas station being built? There are three or four lines coming up from the ground where the pumps will eventually be.

I'd say you're getting no more than a quart at the most...

It's not as if sub-91 octane is poison, anyway ;)

If you can limp your car home on 89 then a few drops of it in your 91 won't mess you up too much.

Although you can probably ask PDX for a tune for "91 octane with 89 contaminant"

See what they say to you :)

car for sale. PM me!

I agree.

Ever notice a new gas station being built? There are three or four lines coming up from the ground where the pumps will eventually be.

I'd say you're getting no more than a quart at the most...

Did some math, roughly 10 ft. hose (nozzle to inside pump), guestimating 3/4" ID for the hose, that works out to 1 quart or 1/4 gallon. That's about a nickel they are stealing from you every time you get gas.

You don't by some chance smoke up a little bit? This is the same kind of philosophical sh!t I'd think up in college after a good burn.

Epistemology is concerned with the nature and scope of knowledge, and whether knowledge is possible at all. Its central concern is the challenge posed by skepticism, that all our beliefs and thoughts may be somehow illusory or mistaken (such as if our waking life were really a dream).

:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr

I'll chime in on this one since me & my tuner discussed this not to long ago. On a stage II car or under, you really should not be concerned. On a upgraded turbo car with upgraded fuel systems it can def. make a diff.

As far as the amount of "leftover" gas goes looks like anything from 1/4 -1/2 of a gallon depending on the age of the pumps.

Before having this conversation with him I stopped to get a couple gallons bc the gas light came on. (I'm very particular & only fill up & 2 stations) this was not one of them but I fill the wifeys vehicle up there most of the time.

The car absolutely ran horrible @ the same time I filled up the wifeys suv & it ran fine.

Lets say I had 3.0 gallons in the tank but 1/2 gallon was 87oct. My car is tuned for 93oct & 100oct when the octane rating drops down to 90-91 it can & will make a difference on Protuned upgraded cars;)

On a fill up....you will never notice it but on a couple gallons, you can & will:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Look for stations that have a seperatly high grade pump a few stations around here have 2 nozzles one for the lower grade gases and one for the higest grade I think it is sunocos that do it here but it seems like several do it

So...using the same analogy, who's getting screwed if you peed just before you ejaculated?

Now that sums up the importance of this nicely!

:hide:

I understand if you've got 1/2 gallon left of 92 in your tank and you put 1 gallon of premium which is composed of 1/4 gallon of 87 and 3/4 of 92 and it's 102 degrees and you're pounding on your car on some autocross eventg....but come on here. Unless you're tuned to the extreme (like some certainly are, don't get me wrong there).....it ain't gonna make a rat's ass bit of difference in a normal fill up how much 87 is left in the tubing of the pump.

I swear....this is like the BITOG oil forums where people worry about oil to the extreme (anyone ever had a car fail due to a "lesser" brand of oil in the length of time they ever owned their car?)

I sometimes think us enthusiasts get a bit paranoid for our own good. Of course I'm constantly reminding myself not to be that way......:)

Do you care if you are paying 91 prices for 1/4 gal of 87?

If you found out that your favorite gas station was found to only dispense 0.95 gallons but charged you for 1 full gal, would you still go to that gas station or would you go to the one across the street that was found to be accurate?

We unfortunately only got 91 here and it's at $3.50 a gallon right now.

Amen. I did get 26.7mph to Tahoe and back. The station had one nozzle for three octanes. I don't worry about that though.

I worry about the ridiculousness that is 80W

http://www.answers.com/main/images/aNorthEast.gifhttp://www.answers.com/main/images/cLeftTop.gifhttp://www.answers.com/main/images/cRightTop.gif

http://www.answers.com/main/images/cLeftBottom.gifhttp://www.answers.com/main/images/cRightBottom.gif

Archived