LegacyGT.com

new M3 at Geneva Auto Show

mmmmm ... me likey.

Too bad it won't be at the NYIAS next month :icon_mad:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_geneva/0703_2008_bmw_m3_concept/

http://i.a.cnn.net/money/galleries/2007/autos/0703/gallery.geneva/images/bmw_m3_side.jpg

More from the Geneva Auto Show

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/autos/0703/gallery.geneva/index.html

Have to agree with KRB.

OK in the looks department. What is left from the 3-series looks soft, and the M-specific stuff looks a tad over-wrought to compensate.

Wheels look good, but I like BBS style wheels anyway.

V8 is a great plus, but a car similar in size to the E36/E46 would be better. that car looks much longer than it's predecessors.

They keep throwing more and more toys at it, which make it a better whiz-bang, but do they make it a better performance car? or do the dilute the performance potential?

BMW used to be pleasantly angular and focused. Doesn't seem that way any longer.

And for pete's sake, why are all new concept cars painted the most boring shades of gray? Is color now passé?

I can't get past the speed bump on the hood.

It looks like it's right over the engine and is probably a clearance for the intake manifold since the top appears to be parallel to the ground. It wasn't on the prototype pictures last year so my guess is that they needed to add risers to improve top end performance. It completely blows.

On V8s, the intake manifold on top of the engine is flat surface about the size of that bump.

Hopefully, they'll show a picture of the engine compartment so that we can see what's causing the bump.

They certainly could have blended it in better ... at least the MS6 is blended better than that.

I would have thought they would hav blended it backward better, with a compound curve...

S5 is nice, but more boring than I thought they would be. TT looks hawt now, and the R8 looks fantastic. The S5 is kind of a plain suit in comparison, not that it should be the style leader...

A tastefully modified R8 with blacked-out headlights (would just blend into the intake ducts altoghether...) would look very sinister. But that is jumping a pay grade or two, even from the M3/S5...

S5 is nice, but more boring than I thought they would be. TT looks hawt now, and the R8 looks fantastic. The S5 is kind of a plain suit in comparison, not that it should be the style leader...

I agree, TT does look great now. There are alot of them ont he road here in Germany.

If wife was not pregnant and lookign for a car to haul the baby in we would look at getting her one.

http://www.audittcca.com/photo_gallery/2007_audi_tt/20060606_new_tt_coupe_15.jpg

Modding an R8@@@!! I wouldn't even feel right taking it apart after spending all that green

just some kick-arse rims, (piaa supermesh forged, or something very cool, wide, and staggered.) and a dark paint job, and a few visual tweeks, front lip spoiler, just a couple little visual tweeks to make it look even more like a grounded jet.

Those headlights are just begging to be blacked out, though... to dissappear into the lower side intakes under the hood line.

A direct injected V8 or V10 shouldn't need a whole lot more juice.

And did you guys see the body kit for the TT that makes it look like an R8??? (Sorry about going so far off topic, but this was at Geneva, as well as the M3 Concept, and this looks more interesting, visually.)

http://www.1000www.autoblog.com/2007/03/07/geneva-motor-show-the-sincerest-form-of-flattery-mini-me-r8-t/

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/03/audi_tt_r8_09.jpg

Sure does look good and it does resemble and R8 ... especially with those gray side panel insets.

re: off topic - I don't think you have anything to worry about here ... we're just discussing some noteworth cars.

:munch:

I am dissapointed that the M3 is only a coupe again. When is the 4 door M3 ever coming back?

Not in this country. I suspect the 4 door sold poorly compared to 2 door M3. I thought it would've been a fine family car myself! Anyone know if there was a 4 door 3rd Gen M3 sold in Europe?

BTW, I think the R8 is godawful looking.

I saw the R8 at NAIAS and happen to think it's absuloutely gorgeous; WAY better looking than the TT (which I've never liked.) But hey, to each their own.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: M3 Engine specs just released: ITB's plus an 8000rpm redline, in a package lighter than the straight six. :wub:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-details-new-m3s-420-horsepower-v8.html

Wow. That is all.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

295 lb/ft of torque is Meh in a SCREAMING flat-crank V8, but not in a stage 2 Legacy?

That v8 is only a liter and a half larger than the Legacy's engine, and NO turbo. "all engine" as they say. AND it has a ~8300 RPM redline. This is not a two-rotor wankel. This is 8 500cc cylinders.

I for one think this has the potential to be a fun engine, if it is built correctly.

The Audi 4.2 liter

Ferrari 3.6-4.3 liter

Aston Martin's version of the AJ V8 can be tuned to 420hp, by Prodrive.

The infiniti 4.5 liter. (Which should go into the G37 coupe, IMHO)

even the Ford 4.6-5.0 DOHC motors, and the GM Northstar. The Ford engine is the basis for the Koeniggsegg's 4.8 Twin-supercharged engine.

All nice DOHC, with modest displacement. Yes please.

I just get irritated that they call the M3 a sports car. It is a Sport coupe, with four seats, and ever-increasing weight. The Z4 M and M Coupe are sports cars. The M3 might be faster, but it has four seats, and is too long and heavy of a car.

Put this in a car with the bones of a real sports car, with SLA suspension front and rear, and two seats in a rigid coupe body... even or rear weight bias... THEN we can really see how this works.

That is why I like the Aston Martin Vantage, too. Two seats, V8, rear transaxle for weight bias, and sexy as hell. With prodrive tuning, it is possibly the best front engined sports car on the market, short of a "supercar"

The M3 is looking technically interesting, but visually a dud. Maybe the 4-door will look like a very nice sport sedan... but I still agree with kartracerboy, Bangle-style ruined it. The G37 looks better, and the G37 doesn't even look THAT good.

If Infiniti comes out with a G45 Coupe with similar stats to the M3 Coupe... it could get real interesting, with the Audi S5 thrown in, and how they compare to the likes of the AMV8, Alfa 8C Competizione, and Ferrari F430, which are a league above, with similar displacement V8s.

It will also be interesting, as BMW comes out with a sedan M3 again, and if Infiniti were to put the 4.5 V8 in the new G sedan, as a halo model, how they would compare to the Audi S4... Similar comparison to their respective coupe brethren.

I am just glad that V8s are coming back on the scene, aside from small block chevy pushrod engines. These share cylinder count, but are different animals. Cheetahs compared to Lions, or something.

I will be impressed to see one, just to see a car with such an engine in it...

but I think the E46 was better looking, and for it's day, the E36 and E30. The e90 looks bland by design, and the M-specific stuff can't mask that.

my jaw would be on the floor faster over an Aston, or Ferrari, of course. As I said, even the new G37 coupe is sleeker looking that this.

and no, you can't take my wife out for steak. :D I am on my way out the door to take her out for dinner!

Archived