LegacyGT.com

Upgraded Brakes - Review & Pics

FJuan

Just curious as how long the stock rotors (or any modern rotors for that matter) would last with 85% daily driving and 15% track time?

for the GT specifically, I think from my experience that you can pull off about 45,000 miles total.. about 40000 to 43000 miles of daily driving and 2000 to 5000 of track driving before we call them "done".

it also depends on your driving habits and styles for daily and on the track.

Keefe

How important is it to change the break rotor? Is changing the pads more noticable?

It Depends™.

What kind of driving? What kind of braking?

For my Beretta GTZ, I changed the rotors everytime, but GM cars are like that. This was my daily driver, with some autocrossing duties.

For my 944 Turbo, I only changed my pads. This was my primary track car.

The mass of the 944 rotor was about double that of the Beretta. That's important, as the rotor is a giant heat sink. You are converting your car's kinetic energy to heat, and most of it is going to the rotor.

For occasional heavy braking, this is okay. For extended track use, more mass means it can hold more heat. Think of it as a higher brake reserve.

Once it's full up, then other things start to heat up, like brake lines, brake fluid, your collar when the brakes get spongy, etc.

Interestingly, my '05 LGT Wagon has about the same rotor size as my 944, but weighs about 400lbs more. Can't wait to change these LGT rotors.

It Depends™.

. That's important, as the rotor is a giant heat sink. You are converting your car's kinetic energy to heat, and most of it is going to the rotor.

For occasional heavy braking, this is okay. For extended track use, more mass means it can hold more heat. Think of it as a higher brake reserve.

Once it's full up, then other things start to heat up, like brake lines, brake fluid, your collar when the brakes get spongy, etc.

Interestingly, my '05 LGT Wagon has about the same rotor size as my 944, but weighs about 400lbs more. Can't wait to change these LGT rotors.

Yup. It's what I always tell people. Mass is king. Which is why I always argue w/ people on "lighter rotors". You can argue all you want about materials and saving those 5 lbs. But in the end, unless you have some trick, REAL two piece setup, you are losing mass to absorb heat.

The other thing is the cooling vane design. The LGT uses a conventional straight vane setup. Which is probably not the best for cooling.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

• 2 months later...
You don't loose thermal mass from the rotor, you just get rid of weight via the aluminum hat with a "real" 2-piece design. Plus, curved vanes help to pull air through the rotors to cool them faster :D
:spin:

Archived