LegacyGT.com

Help... Wheel lock stupidity

rabydanimal

If you haven't figured it out yet here's the deal. I bought some rims a while back and wanted to get them on ASAP so I bought these lugs from autozone. The only ones they had were ones that required a special key to get on and off, Basically like having wheel locks for all 5 lugs.

Well guess what, I can't find the key. I don't need to get them off now but of course it makes me nervous not being able to. I don't have the slip it came with so I can't mail the manufacturer to get a replacement.

I'd imagine with some know how you could fab a key from a mold of the lug. I hope a dealer or good shop can get these off...

Here's a picture of what they look like.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4866/image012uy9.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think a good wheel shop will be able to get them off..

Otherwise, I am pretty sure you could find some "key" at Pepboys or some other auto part store. While you are there get regular lugs.

Good luck.

Supposedly this set has a "unique" key. It came with a slip with a serial number on it that I would have to send in to the manufacturer to have another key made. I'm not so sure buying another set will work. Anyway, I'll be going to autozone later today and see what I can find.

Autozone was 0 help, they don't even sell the set any more. CAP tried to help a little more, they looked around for something I could jam in there but couldn't find anything the right size.

Taking my car in to take care of the newly TSB'd dash rattle tonight, I guess we'll see if the suby dealer can get them off without destroying my SSRs :(.

Look like a fairly standard spline drive to me too. Due to the image quality, I can't count the number of "teeth" on the spline. Can you get a better picture?

With a better pic and some dimensions, I might be able to help you determine a spline size if it's anything close to sizes on my list.

If you have access to a caliper, all the better.

There are 10 points (or teeth) in the pattern. I'll bust out the digital rebel and a ruler when I get a chance.

Ok, 10 tooth is what I thought. A ruler isn't going to cut it, but the closest approximation to the Maximum inside diameter and the Minimum inside diameter will help.

Unfortunately, though, I don't think I have any data on 10 tooth splines in that style. But who knows, with the right info, I may be able to dig something up.

Suby dealer is taking a crack at it today (I hope not literally) while its in for the dash rattle and fan relay. I told them if they were going to destroy the rims to forget it. It seems most places have several keys but none that match this particular style.

The car is still at the dealer. They had to order parts to fix the dash board (for some reason they don't have extra clips or screws laying around...). They didn't say anything about the wheels so I imagine they were unsuccessful. I'm getting some springs installed Friday and I'll need an alignment after that. I'd imagine if I take it to a good tire/alignment shop they might have a better idea what to do with them.

Allen or torx key that fits snugly, and try to get them off.

I had some six sided inside-drive lugs like that on the miata, and the key rounded off... T60 or something torx bit, and an impact gun got them off. The lugs got crap in them, rusted, and started to round out themselves.

Otherwise, a nut splitter, or some of those reverse cutting rounded-nut remover sockets that Sears sells... that cut into the nuts in a reverse rotation, and then unthread the nuts.

Otherwise, find a way to break the wheel studs, and buy new studs and lugs.

Spline drive lugs have splines cut into the outside of the nut, and the key captively locks the nut, rather than the other way around. After my experience with that, NEVARRR again!

real spline drives, Game-set-match. McGard FTW.

Archived